• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

March Corn

Not that long... nursery plot so the plants are only about 4 feet apart. So just over 1/4 mile.

Next spring, every second plant will be moved into its final plot at a much wider spacing.

Doing with them... I am starting to translate about 20 acres of pasture land to commercial vineyard. My pastures are now just a giant lawn. I've been looking for something to do with most of it and after scratching out business plans for goats, hops, daylillies, etc... settled on grapes. That was part of the reason behind my motorcycle trip in France a few years ago. I was visiting battlefields... and vineyards! Got a PhD education on setting up a vineyard from some real masters around Beaune and Burgandy. The people in Bordeaux were snobby pricks... but the folks in Burgandy were just awesome!!!

Our wine industry here is booming, but has a massive grape shortage. Most of the wine is only partial local-grown, the rest imported juice and must from NY and other states. So planning on doing a commercial grape crop, but not making wine myself. I'll sell the grapes for wine-making. Going to be about a 8-10 year project total. So far been at it two years and the plots are coming in nicely after last year's disaster when we lost almost every plant due to a spring hard freeze. But this year, 99.5% plant survival and they are doing great!!!

Patience... Goal is to have about 600 - 800 vines/acre within the next 10 years.

Nice, self-sustaining cash crop and a working commerical vineyard enhances the value of the Schloss Nitrocelluolse property substantially!!! Plus will give me an excuse to buy a Col Sanders outfit and sit on my deck with a mint julep yelling down at the field hands... Just 'sayin.

Cheers,

Sirhr

And after 2 days of it... I have to wait a few days to do the remainder, because the snow 'just' came off them. And every inch of my body hurts...

Id be a bit cautious about over investing. I've been noticing around my area here in central Virginia that every body with an extra acre has a 'vineyard'. I mean theyre everywhere...the ultimate yuppie indulgence...at least here. While I love wine, and I know that now there is a shortage of some grape, I think its being over done and shortly there will be a glut and prices will plummet.

Just my $.02.

Reactions: ArmyJerry
Id be a bit cautious about over investing. I've been noticing around my area here in central Virginia that every body with an extra acre has a 'vineyard'. I mean theyre everywhere...the ultimate yuppie indulgence...at least here. While I love wine, and I know that now there is a shortage of some grape, I think its being over done and shortly there will be a glut and prices will plummet.

Just my $.02.

Not too far north of me is a peninsula that used be all cherry trees. Nowadays, it's vineyards. In fact, one of the brothers from the Oak Island show has one there.

Grain farmer from northern Illinois. Corn is going in the ground here I will be starting on Monday.

Reactions: deersniper
image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Walker county GA here..... planted corn a month ago....... 3-5" tall. About 14 rows of 125ish or so.

Northwest Illinois planted the last 5 days and now we have 2 inches of snow on the corn and it is still snowing.

Well congrats to the folks who have their corn in, we are maybe 30-40% planted in eastern SD with most acres going into prevent plant. Just started raining here again today.

Eh. Dakota means wheat and flowers might as well be Canada south lol. But yes at least you have insurance Gonna hurt the people who went without

At least three weeks to go here in NW Illinois before planting good luck.

I am in central NC. Just ripped the garden yesterday. A lot of folks around here planting early because they are outta work and it was warm for a week. They'll all be planting again when I plant normal time in a few weeks. Only thing I will plant before then is taters and early beans. Around here a couple weeks after tobacco goes in the ground or a couple weeks after the strawberries are ready to pick is a good time for the vegetable garden. I go even a little later with my sweet corn......it takes cool much worse than field corn.

Reactions: Centuriator
Almanac gave April 1 for corn here. Planted Saturday, 3/28. It was 85*F. Got 8 50-foot rows of a regular sweet corn and a small patch of blue sweet corn, "Midnight Snack" variety.

Tomatoes are out, and I have backups in pots in case those get bitten. Peas and beans are up.

• Wow
Having an issue bringing pictures from one tower to another, but the short version is, the ground is still frozen here, and we've still got snowdrifts that are a few feet deep here (in places).

And ya'll are talking about sprouts coming up already????? Ya'll have no idea how Blessed you IS!!!!

I'm curious to see how planting season unfolds around here. With no real snowfall this winter, farmers were out last month turning the ground and laying down manure, but temps are actually running a bit below normal.

Last year, the flooding is what screwed up my neighbors. They held off planting as long as possible and then watched the field turn into a lake for a few weeks.

When does crop ins kick in on replant in Georgia? In Illinois, planted before apr 1 and youre on your own if march planted gets smoked.

I haven't been to my in-law's for a while, but the corn here should be planted, or is being planted. It's always planted by Easter here. That's when I do my arrowhead hunting. I hunt the planted fields that have been rained on. Kids have an Easter egg hunt, and I have an Easterarrowhead hunt.

As a farmer you can understand how important is our job. A lot of people depend on us. Literally, we bring them the food. So it's important to be responsible with our jobs. Every farmer knows how fertilizers are important for a good, wealthy harvest.

30B7FDAF-582C-44E2-80B2-13B2770BAC78.gif

I’m thinking about planting banana trees on my new hunting preserve area

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
That's racist.

But really, plant browntop and sunflowers and we'll come help you drink your beer and shoot your doves!
I’m not talking about edible banana trees. The nursery variety lol

As a farmer you can understand how important is our job. A lot of people depend on us. Literally, we bring them the food. So it's important to be responsible with our jobs. Every farmer knows how fertilizers are important for a good, wealthy harvest.
You’re not from around here are you...
You’re welcome(?)

20201121_063719.jpg

This thread has totally confused me and dissapointed. I will do my part to get it on track March Corn closed up a penny at $4.28.

Yeah, I agree that corn was great this year, of course not without problems, but finally, the harvest was good. BTW, I found something really great and it was surprising. My mother has tried to plant some Roses and the main thing was that the soil was pretty poor for micro-nutrients and we need something to fertilize it. I've tried https://www.growgardener.com/the-5-best-fertilizers-for-beautiful-knockout-roses/ ,and it was surprisingly effective. So for those who would like to try Rose planting, I strongly recommend this stuff.

Last edited:
Since this was dug up.
PXL_20210701_112904539.jpg

On the left side of this patch is golden bantam. It's an heirloom seed. There's already silks on the shorter stalks. On the right side is a hybrid silver queen. It's much taller, over five ft, but not as many silks yet.