• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March FFP 1.5-15x42 MPVO Review and Comparison (w/ Nightforce and Athlon)

I am not understanding the last two lines. Thank you.
The March FX 4.5-28 has best in class flare control, best/huge FoV, good DoF, a couple solid reticle choices, good to great turrets, outstanding image quality (same conversation as TT, ZCO, RG3 if not quite as good), is compact enough to be easily maneuvered... really, it's just an awesome scope. It achieves some of that by capping the exit pupil at 4.2 mm - that's a hit to low light performance that matters either very little or not at all for a flat range optic (over 10-12x). On balance, it's a contender for "best all-around dynamic competition optic" or something similar. It's a competent 5-25 design (with a little extra) in a 4-20 body. However, when folks are talking high end optics it tends to be conspicuously absent from the conversation. Maybe they're everywhere and I just don't see it...

The March F 3-24x52 is arguably a very, very nice 3-18x optic with a great reticle in the TR1H... it just happens to say 24x on the mag ring ;-).
You nailed that, its kind of how i look at the 3-24. If they could somehow improve glass on this design and add a wide angle eyepiece without too much compromise I know quite a few who’d be very happy (myself included)

The March FX 4.5-28 has best in class flare control, best/huge FoV, good DoF, a couple solid reticle choices, good to great turrets, outstanding image quality (same conversation as TT, ZCO, RG3 if not quite as good), is compact enough to be easily maneuvered... really, it's just an awesome scope. It achieves some of that by capping the exit pupil at 4.2 mm - that's a hit to low light performance that matters either very little or not at all for a flat range optic (over 10-12x). On balance, it's a contender for "best all-around dynamic competition optic" or something similar. It's a competent 5-25 design (with a little extra) in a 4-20 body. However, when folks are talking high end optics it tends to be conspicuously absent from the conversation. Maybe they're everywhere and I just don't see it...
Reason I never pulled the trigger on the 4.5-28x was the reports of not great low light performance. In the continued pursuit of that perfect optic that is hunting first and "tactical" second, low light performance is probably the top of my list in regards to feature set. I did love the idea of this scope. I saw they have a new version out with the shiruken turrets. Had one in my shopping cart online for three days before closing the browser and deciding to wait to see what might hit Shot Show next year. Until then my Zeiss V8s will remain my hunting scopes and I'll have my mixed bag of tactical scopes. :)

You nailed that, its kind of how i look at the 3-24. If they could somehow improve glass on this design and add a wide angle eyepiece without too much compromise I know quite a few who’d be very happy (myself included)
Yep I loved everything about the 3-24x I had but the DOF annoyed me so much I got rid of it. Seemed like I had to adjust parralax all the time. Best way i can describe it was it felt like trying to take a picture with my phone in portrait mode... the main thing you're looking at is focused and perfect but everything else is blurry until you adjust parralax.

The way they did the MOA reticle on that scope was awesome. Best FFP low end reticle I've used to date. At 3x my eye was drawn right to the center and I had no problem picking it up in the woods without illumination.

Great review! I appreciate how you address the compromises in erector designs. The market seems to think that more is always better in magnification range.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Reason I never pulled the trigger on the 4.5-28x was the reports of not great low light performance. In the continued pursuit of that perfect optic that is hunting first and "tactical" second, low light performance is probably the top of my list in regards to feature set. I did love the idea of this scope. I saw they have a new version out with the shiruken turrets. Had one in my shopping cart online for three days before closing the browser and deciding to wait to see what might hit Shot Show next year. Until then my Zeiss V8s will remain my hunting scopes and I'll have my mixed bag of tactical scopes. :)
Just did some testing with NF ATACR 4-16x42 and low light performance of the 4.5-28x52 was about on par with the ATACR so not horrible but still not quite as good as 50mm objective scopes that don't have exit pupil limitation.

Just did some testing with NF ATACR 4-16x42 and low light performance of the 4.5-28x52 was about on par with the ATACR so not horrible but still not quite as good as 50mm objective scopes that don't have exit pupil limitation.
It is worth noting that while the March lags its alpha colleagues, it's not outright bad (in my opinion). We do tend to get caught up in the "only the best is good enough" mindset here. The Tac Ops thread recently had an interesting example of this re: an agency user that paired their Deltas with Steiner optics - quite a contrast between "this optic lags the alpha field, so it sucks/is unworthy" and "this optic has met our agency's operational needs flawlessly." Vortex Razor LHT reviews also tend to either love it or you get "this <$1500 optic that weighs 22 ounces doesn't perform as well as my 45 ounce Razor Gen 3 or my $4000 ZCO... it's simply unusable!"

Thank you for your detailed response. I have owned the 4.5-28. It was my favorite scope.

I am not understanding these words in their context:
"and not getting traction... which means we can safely be ignored as group for not knowing what we want or not following through. ;-)"

I don't mean to put you to work, and I am sorry for being dull in this matter. F7

Great review! I appreciate how you address the compromises in erector designs. The market seems to think that more is always better in magnification range.
That's a great point RKB. This is tricky and I think has more to do with perception and expectations. The "market" perceives more is better, but this is not always the case, especially when it comes to optics. This is also an exercise in proper expectations - for example, thinking that the cheaper Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 is going to perform as good or better than the more expensive ATACR 4-16x42 is a bit unrealistic, but the perception is that the NX8 offers much greater magnification range so it "has to be better", but with high magnification erectors and short bodied scopes (NX8 series) there are compromises to the optical performance that must be made. If you understand those compromises, like finicky eyebox, DOF and parallax and potentially compromised IQ, and are willing to sacrifice those features for the overall benefit of the scope as a whole, I think you will be pretty happy, but if you go into this with the idea that the shorter scope with higher magnification is going to perform better optically vs the "older" design because it is newer then you will likely be disappointed. This is essentially what I tried to explain in my review of the March 1.5-15x42, in no way am I saying this is a "bad" scope, but if your expectation is for it to perform at the same level as other scopes that have a very different design criteria then I'd say your expectations may be askew and because of that your perception will be affected as well. No other manufacturer offers a FFP MPVO with 10x erector, there is nothing else to compare this to because March is the only one with a product like this, there isn't even an 8x erector product to compare to which is why I chose the 2-12, but a 6x erector is much more forgiving in design vs. a 10x erector.

Steiner has entered the MPVO foray with their new H6Xi 2-12x42 (literally announced as I posted my review) which is an excellent example of how manufacturers focus primarily on the hunting community and ignore the competition/crossover community. The only reticle that Steiner has announced is a BDC reticle :)sick:) with MOA turrets. There is no Mil/Mil option which is what this scope needs to be considered in the competition/crossover community. Schmidt and Bender also came out with their 3-18x42 SFP scope and many are asking where is the 3-18x42 FFP mil/mil option which the crossover community would eat up, while not an MPVO this still serves as an example of how manufacturers seem to get close but not close enough.

Looks like I found my next budget scope in the Athlon.
Lowest sale price I've seen the Athlon Helos selling for was $370 with free shipping on Amazon just a few months ago from Cameraland in NY oddly selling them under a different seller's name and the lowest Black Friday sale prices I've seen last year was $330-$360 FYI so don't pay more than you need to especially since they're made in China and you know how ridiculously crazy Chinese made optics markups are regardless of brand.

Reactions: Bluedog82
damn i was hoping this scope would replace my ATACR 4-16x42
Nightforce really needs to update the 4-16x42

Reactions: Glassaholic
Recently grabbed a 2-12 Helos. Very impressed with the glass at the cost. My impressions mirrored yours. The edge to edge clarity and sharpness was much better than I expected. Was seriously impressed for $495.

I agree that I would be interested in a cronus 34mm 2-12x42 or even 2-12x50.

Reactions: steve123
damn i was hoping this scope would replace my ATACR 4-16x42
Nightforce really needs to update the 4-16x42
Keep in mind the design intent between these two scopes (March 1.5-15 and ATACR 4-16) are very, very different. I do not consider the ATACR 4-16 to be an MPVO; however, it is a scope that most people know or have encountered so serves as a baseline. The March 1.5-15 is really good for what it does (covers all the way from MPVO up to medium range), could March have made this a 1.5-12 instead and improved the IQ, probably, could March have made this a little longer and improved IQ, again probably, but that was not their design goal, they wanted to make a 10x erector very short and lighter weight scope. I've seen a number of guys ask why March can't make a scope that competes with TT and ZCO and to be honest I think March very well could do this; however, look at March's history, their goal has been to make innovative designs that push the envelope and I think they've done that very effectively regardless if you like the outcome or not, also, if March made a 5-25x56 that was as good or better than TT or ZCO I almost feel like "what is the point?" because we already have awesome scopes from TT and ZCO in this mag range. This is the dilemma many manufacturers face - how do they differentiate themselves from a very competitive market? This is what baffled me with the Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x56... great for anyone who feels compelled to have a big Z on the side of their scope, but hasn't this mag range already been done a hundred different ways? The challenge for March would be to come out with something unique enough that it is different from an already flooded market but still covers the primary mag range for dynamic shooting sports (10-20x) very well.

The March 1.5-15 is really good for what it does (covers all the way from MPVO up to medium range)

So aside from the issue of image quality on the long end, it's kind of alone on an "island" so-to-speak in what it does.

Kind of like 60 shipwrecked guys make it to an island. Discover there's only one woman on the island.

She's kind of ugly, but got a nice body, and she says "you are the only one for her".

Kind of ugly or not, U got the only woman on the island.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the design intent between these two scopes (March 1.5-15 and ATACR 4-16) are very, very different. I do not consider the ATACR 4-16 to be an MPVO; however, it is a scope that most people know or have encountered so serves as a baseline. The March 1.5-15 is really good for what it does (covers all the way from MPVO up to medium range), could March have made this a 1.5-12 instead and improved the IQ, probably, could March have made this a little longer and improved IQ, again probably, but that was not their design goal, they wanted to make a 10x erector very short and lighter weight scope. I've seen a number of guys ask why March can't make a scope that competes with TT and ZCO and to be honest I think March very well could do this; however, look at March's history, their goal has been to make innovative designs that push the envelope and I think they've done that very effectively regardless if you like the outcome or not, also, if March made a 5-25x56 that was as good or better than TT or ZCO I almost feel like "what is the point?" because we already have awesome scopes from TT and ZCO in this mag range. This is the dilemma many manufacturers face - how do they differentiate themselves from a very competitive market? This is what baffled me with the Zeiss LRP S5 5-25x56... great for anyone who feels compelled to have a big Z on the side of their scope, but hasn't this mag range already been done a hundred different ways? The challenge for March would be to come out with something unique enough that it is different from an already flooded market but still covers the primary mag range for dynamic shooting sports (10-20x) very well.
no I 100% get what your saying. Optical quality aside its probably in that range of being a top contender for western big game hunting providing the durability is there.
I just personally don't think there's enough of a push for me to switch from the baby ATACR to one.
If I didn't already own the ATACR I might be looking at it more closely.
But Coming from a kahles k318i (that had to be sent in twice fore repairs) I've already noticed quite a trade off in optical quality but gained confidence in reliability.

Reactions: Westy35
So aside from the issue of image quality on the long end, it's kind of alone on an "island" so-to-speak in what it does.
Yes, absolutely
Kind of like 60 shipwrecked guys make it to an island. Discover there's only one woman on the island.

She's kind of ugly, but got a nice body, and she says "you are the only one for her".

Kind of ugly or not, U got the only woman on the island.
Well... ummm.... hmmm... okay, yes, kind of like that... but maybe not at the same time, maybe I'm the scope and she picked me because I was unique among all the boring guys who are so similar :ROFLMAO:

no I 100% get what your saying. Optical quality aside its probably in that range of being a top contender for western big game hunting providing the durability is there.
I just personally don't think there's enough of a push for me to switch from the baby ATACR to one.
If I didn't already own the ATACR I might be looking at it more closely.
But Coming from a kahles k318i (that had to be sent in twice fore repairs) I've already noticed quite a trade off in optical quality but gained confidence in reliability.
Right, I totally get that and I suppose my statement was more to the thread readers at large. We all have different reasons for why we choose what we choose and in my OP I stated it's going to be a lot about expectations. My March 1.5-15 should be coming back this week with the reticle upgrade, some have stated they have seen an improvement in IQ above 10x after getting the upgrade, is it someone just seeing what they hope to see or is it real, I will be curious to test this out as I highly doubt March is changing anything with the optical formula this early in the game, but stranger things...

Reactions: Bravo6
Right, I totally get that and I suppose my statement was more to the thread readers at large. We all have different reasons for why we choose what we choose and in my OP I stated it's going to be a lot about expectations. My March 1.5-15 should be coming back this week with the reticle upgrade, some have stated they have seen an improvement in IQ above 10x after getting the upgrade, is it someone just seeing what they hope to see or is it real, I will be curious to test this out as I highly doubt March is changing anything with the optical formula this early in the game, but stranger things...
It's real on mine. I have 20+ optics on rifles and know the difference between a clear image and a non-clear image. I know my expectations for image quality and how unbelievably let down I was when my $3k+ brand new optic couldn't outperform my $799 PST Gen 2 at 10-15x. Being told there were compromises made in the design to keep it small with a 10x erector did nothing to make me feel better about it. It made me wonder why anyone would want to make those compromises to have a super short 10x erector scope with piss poor image quality at higher magnification when those are the distances you need to be able to see better to begin with. Got mine back fixed and it is so much better than before. That ain't due to hopes and dreams it's due to a legit fix. It's still not quite as good as my Ziess V8 1.8-14x but it's not too far off. And I know that is a 36mm tube second focal plane behemoth that is strictly a hunting scope with one purpose and I understand the tradeoffs and I do find the size/weight tradeoff for the March to be acceptable now.

I do hope yours comes back looking like mine, but if it doesn't, it doesn't mean mine wasn't fixed or what I'm reporting back to the community isn't true for my scope. It will however make me skeptical of March's ability to produce a consistent product and reconsider my thoughts of getting a second one of these for my 18" AR (which I'd really like to do).

It's real on mine. I have 20+ optics on rifles and know the difference between a clear image and a non-clear image. I know my expectations for image quality and how unbelievably let down I was when my $3k+ brand new optic couldn't outperform my $799 PST Gen 2 at 10-15x. Being told there were compromises made in the design to keep it small with a 10x erector did nothing to make me feel better about it. It made me wonder why anyone would want to make those compromises to have a super short 10x erector scope with piss poor image quality at higher magnification when those are the distances you need to be able to see better to begin with. Got mine back fixed and it is so much better than before. That ain't due to hopes and dreams it's due to a legit fix. It's still not quite as good as my Ziess V8 1.8-14x but it's not too far off. And I know that is a 36mm tube second focal plane behemoth that is strictly a hunting scope with one purpose and I understand the tradeoffs and I do find the size/weight tradeoff for the March to be acceptable now.

I do hope yours comes back looking like mine, but if it doesn't, it doesn't mean mine wasn't fixed or what I'm reporting back to the community isn't true for my scope. It will however make me skeptical of March's ability to produce a consistent product and reconsider my thoughts of getting a second one of these for my 18" AR (which I'd really like to do).
:begins searching for a Zeiss 1.8-14:

edit: it has a 36mm main tube?

• Haha
Reactions: Westy35
:eek:ne should also search for a Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 which has a 30mm main tube:

I'm right there with you, all documentation says The Zeiss V8 has 30mm?? Maybe mixed up with the ZCO 1.7-12x50 which has 36mm tube?
Never owned the Swaro, but some of the best glass I have seen in regards to controlled CA, contrast and colors is the Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. Seems very similar to that Swaro.

I was thinking the same thing about ZCO, that's why I went to looking to see what I had missed on Zeiss.

Never owned the Swaro, but some of the best glass I have seen in regards to controlled CA, contrast and colors is the Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. Seems very similar to that Swaro.
Meopta always flies under my radar, I have heard very good things about them. Maybe one of the best designs was the Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50, sure wish Leica still made these and wish I would have grabbed one when Euro was blowing them out! That said, I will make the March 1.5-15x42 work and hoping that some pixie dust was sprinkled on mine while at the factory getting the reticle facelift, there's so much to like about this scope!

By the way, you posted the other day about the changes you'd like to see in the DF-TR2B reticle, I can't find that, can you point me in the right direction (probably under my nose)

Meopta always flies under my radar, I have heard very good things about them. Maybe one of the best designs was the Leica Magnus 1.8-12x50, sure wish Leica still made these and wish I would have grabbed one when Euro was blowing them out! That said, I will make the March 1.5-15x42 work and hoping that some pixie dust was sprinkled on mine while at the factory getting the reticle facelift, there's so much to like about this scope!

By the way, you posted the other day about the changes you'd like to see in the DF-TR2B reticle, I can't find that, can you point me in the right direction (probably under my nose)

Leica still makes Magnus scopes, but they do not import them into the US.

ILya

It was in the other thread:

Just as a point of information on this >10X IQ issue. I have the SFP version of this scope, it came out a year or more before the FFP/DR version. It is now mounted on an AR-15 that I use for NRA competition to 600 yars. The format of the comp allows scopes up to 15X magnification and that's where I have mine set. It has the MTR-5 reticle. I've never noticed any IQ degradation above 10X. At the time of the introduction of the FFP version, I read the comments about the IQ @ >10X, and I enquired of DEON if the FFP and SFP version had the same glass and was told that it was the same.

Fast forward to now and we have people reporting that their March-FX 1.5-15X42, after returning from DEON after getting a reticle swap, exhibit a substantial IQ improvement @ >10X. After reading a few more comments expressing surprise and even dismay at this turn of events, I enquired at DEON about this issue.

They responded as follows:
"Because the tree dots in the new reticle are larger, it may seem that the scope with the new reticle has a sharper image.
Also for FFP reticle replacements, we take out the inner parts and after we reassemble the reticle and parts, we readjust the image quality.
We adjust the image quality to match the reticle.
If the customer feels that the IQ of the returned scope is better, we are confident that the new reticle has had a positive effect.

We did not change lenses or the optical structure."

I'm adding my thoughts, here and mine only: My SFP model never exhibited that IQ degradation. I had never heard of anyone complaining about that with the SFP version. Doesn't mean it's not happened; it only means I never heard of it. I do not have 34mm version, and I don't expect to buy one as I have no need for it. So, I have nothing to compare my SFP version to that one.

:eek:ne should also search for a Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 which has a 30mm main tube:

I'm right there with you, all documentation says The Zeiss V8 has 30mm?? Maybe mixed up with the ZCO 1.7-12x50 which has 36mm tube?
Nope I meant exactly what I said. Hard to believe but I do know the difference between 30mm and 36mm tubes. 😉

IMG_7867.jpeg

IMG_7868.jpeg

Reactions: DJL2
Last edited:
Wow, I never even realized the external turret version was 36mm vs. the 30mm tube of the capped turret...
View attachment 8248097

Even Zeiss' own website says 30mm, how strange... https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/us/hunting/riflescopes/v8/v8-1-8-14x50.html#data

View attachment 8248104
Yeah it is a very odd scope to be honest. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Really big for a hunting scope but only has a duplex sfp reticle. Then it tries to be "tactical" but turrets adjust at 1/3 MOA. I tell you what though, the illumination system is perfection, the mag range is ideal and mag ring is the second smoothest I have (the 1-8x V8 holds that title). The glass is great too and does excellent in low light. It's sitting on my Tikka T3X .308 hunting rifle and will stay there forever unless I sell the rifle.

Yeah it is a very odd scope to be honest. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Really big for a hunting scope but only has a duplex sfp reticle. Then it tries to be "tactical" but turrets adjust at 1/3 MOA. I tell you what though, the illumination system is perfection, the mag range is ideal and mag ring is the second smoothest I have (the 1-8x V8 holds that title). The glass is great too and does excellent in low light. It's sitting on my Tikka T3X .308 hunting rifle and will stay there forever unless I sell the rifle.
Great. So now I got to go buy a rifle because I want to try this scope.

Out of curiosity, you say your updated March 1.5-15x42 is better with IQ, what would you say are pros and cons compared to this Zeiss?

Out of curiosity, you say your updated March 1.5-15x42 is better with IQ, what would you say are pros and cons compared to this Zeiss?
Honestly, I think the March is going to win all around pretty handily now the IQ was fixed on mine. There just isn't enough difference in the optical quality to outweigh the functional advantages where the March beats the Zeiss. But I mean these are two completely different scopes, just happen to be in the same magnification range.

Reticle: March wins (DFP model does both FFP and SFP well)
Turrets: March (Zeiss way behind with the 1/3 MOA and it being hunting focused)
Mag Range: tie really but March is 10x vs 8x. I mean what's the real difference of .3x on the low end and 1x on the high end?
Weight: March (Zeiss way behind if that matters to you)
Length: March (Zeiss way behind if that matters to you)
Illumination: Zeiss (March still very good)
Optical Quality: Zeiss (March not far behind)
Low Light: Zeiss (March not far behind)
Sexiness: March is a bad looking mamma
Ability to be used as a blunt force object or door breach: Zeiss
Multipurpose-ability: March hands down. You can put this scope on just about any rifle and it could be useable. Zeiss is a one trick pony.
Price: Tie.

If I'm targeting a big buck and I had to grab the right tool to smoke him, I'd take my dedicated hunting rifle with my hunting handloads, topped with the Zeiss. Really don't see that changing. Best tool for the job. For every other job I need a scope for I'm going to pick the March over the Zeiss every time.

These scopes are lined up at the back...look at the size difference! Ignore the Spuhr/Vortex LRF setup, it's temporary. Moving it to my Surgeon Remedy .338 LM once I can get out to the range and swap mounts with the March and rezero immediately.

1697253415940.png

@Glassaholic
Thoroughly pleased with this comparison. I've had my eye on the Athlon but would really love Japanese glass as well. Wanting to stay at 2x on the bottom and trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or keep waiting. Thank you very much as this review, with ILya's as well, really help put that scope in perspective.
Cheers!

IIf y
@Glassaholic
Thoroughly pleased with this comparison. I've had my eye on the Athlon but would really love Japanese glass as well. Wanting to stay at 2x on the bottom and trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or keep waiting. Thank you very much as this review, with ILya's as well, really help put that scope in perspective.
Cheers!
If you can hold off until Black Friday sale next month, the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 should go down to $330 - $350 or less. I didn't buy them during last year's sale but should have since it's the only real world uuseable FFP scope at 2x with easy to see center horse shoe reticle. A buddy paid closer to $300 even for his last year around Black Friday sale time. It's definitely more useable than a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 FFP on low magnification.

These Athlon Helos 2-12x42s have better quality Chinese (non HD) glass compared to the Japanese ED glass used in the Arken EP5 and SH4J and EPL4s.

If you find price friendly dealers that can match or beat previous Black Friday sale prices "over the phone" or see them selling for cheaper at Walmart online or on Amazon I say buy it now but I would never recommend paying regular prices for them.

IIf y

If you can hold off until Black Friday sale next month, the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 should go down to $330 - $350 or less. I didn't buy them during last year's sale but should have since it's the only real world uuseable FFP scope at 2x with easy to see center horse shoe reticle. A buddy paid closer to $300 even for his last year around Black Friday sale time. It's definitely more useable than a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 FFP on low magnification.

These Athlon Helos 2-12x42s have better quality Chinese (non HD) glass compared to the Japanese ED glass used in the Arken EP5 and SH4J and EPL4s.

If you find price friendly dealers that can match or beat previous Black Friday sale prices "over the phone" or see them selling for cheaper at Walmart online or on Amazon I say buy it now but I would never recommend paying regular prices for them.
I appreciate the advice and the glass quality is a good note. Thank you. Do you remember where you saw those prices and/or where your buddy picked up his? I'm trying to resist buying a used one for $500 with a Badger mount, so if you can point me in the right direction to watch, I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks!

Reactions: Bluedog82
I appreciate the advice and the glass quality is a good note. Thank you. Do you remember where you saw those prices and/or where your buddy picked up his? I'm trying to resist buying a used one for $500 with a Badger mount, so if you can point me in the right direction to watch, I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks!
These deals were outside of Black Friday sales Midway USA had a $200 gift card buying Athlons incentive and Optics Planet had a similar deal with Bonus Bucks for additional $250 credit towards next purchase.

EuroOptic and Scopelist and Cameraland most other places during Black Friday sale prices were the same sale prices.

Few months ago they were briefly selling for $370 on Amazon (early summer?) and believe it was Cameraland under a different name since I out two in my cart but didn't buy right away then the next day they went back up in price and seller's name (while the 2 Athlon Helos were still in my cart) immediately changed to Cameraland so knowing this price, you may get lucky if you give Doug a phone call.

There are some good random off and on sales when you check Amazon and Walmart online on a daily basis.

If you qualify for Expert Voice it's probably going to be the cheapest at any given time and don't need to wait for the next sale elsewhere with the exception of a few Athlons such as the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for $565.49 at Walmart online.

If you're an Athlon fan, the ScoopX 10x42 branded version of the $499.99 Athlon Cronus UHD binoculars is only $69.99 on eBay with further discount with quantity purchase of 4 or more $59.99 with possible additional 15% off (contact seller if lower discounted prices don't jive when added to cart) while on Amazon they've been steadily selling them for $225-$250 price fluctuating and $110-$130 for damaged box/ returns. Ebay currently has a new genuine (no fakes or knockoffs) advertisement.

The only think you won't get is Athlon's lifetime warranty so inspect and try all of them out the moment you receive them. They're selling for so cheap it may even be worth overlooking a lifetime warranty. They previously advertised having a Lifetime warranty but I really doubt it so just think of it as like buying a Bushnell.

These deals were outside of Black Friday sales Midway USA had a $200 gift card buying Athlons incentive and Optics Planet had a similar deal with Bonus Bucks for additional $250 credit towards next purchase.

EuroOptic and Scopelist and Cameraland most other places during Black Friday sale prices were the same sale prices.

Few months ago they were briefly selling for $370 on Amazon (early summer?) and believe it was Cameraland under a different name since I out two in my cart but didn't buy right away then the next day they went back up in price and seller's name (while the 2 Athlon Helos were still in my cart) immediately changed to Cameraland so knowing this price, you may get lucky if you give Doug a phone call.

There are some good random off and on sales when you check Amazon and Walmart online on a daily basis.

If you qualify for Expert Voice it's probably going to be the cheapest at any given time and don't need to wait for the next sale elsewhere with the exception of a few Athlons such as the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for $565.49 at Walmart online.

If you're an Athlon fan, the ScoopX 10x42 branded version of the $499.99 Athlon Cronus UHD binoculars is only $69.99 on eBay with further discount with quantity purchase of 4 or more $59.99 with possible additional 15% off (contact seller if lower discounted prices don't jive when added to cart) while on Amazon they've been steadily selling them for $225-$250 price fluctuating and $110-$130 for damaged box/ returns. Ebay currently has a new genuine (no fakes or knockoffs) advertisement.

The only think you won't get is Athlon's lifetime warranty so inspect and try all of them out the moment you receive them. They're selling for so cheap it may even be worth overlooking a lifetime warranty. They previously advertised having a Lifetime warranty but I really doubt it so just think of it as like buying a Bushnell.
I don't know what to say but Thank You. Those are some steep deals, so I appreciate the direction and recommendations. It looks like patience and the readiness to act quickly is, as usual, the name of the game. I'll be on the lookout and keep checking around. Thank you again; I'm looking forward to finally getting some glass on my rifle.

Reactions: Scopeye
I don't know what to say but Thank You. Those are some steep deals, so I appreciate the direction and recommendations. It looks like patience and the readiness to act quickly is, as usual, the name of the game. I'll be on the lookout and keep checking around. Thank you again; I'm looking forward to finally getting some glass on my rifle.
They're still made in China so I always recommend paying as little as possible for them no matter how great they may, in fact, actually be. Don't get jacked paying regular prices for them unless you got plenty of excess cash to throw away and then later be willing to lose your butt off when you try to sell it on the classifieds.

I also recommend Burris Signature XTR rings that can be found for around $60-$70 on sale when you did a search online. They never leave a single mark on your scopes and keep them looking brand new always in mint condition as though it's never been mounted. Plus they have included inserts to optically center your scope to your gun and allow additional MOAs without the need of an additional separate 20-40MOA added on scope base. They also never require lapping. I quit buying the expensive popular mounts and rings that can leave marks or blemishes (witness marks) on the scope tubes and got tired of lapping as well.

BTW I just noticed another ebay seller has the ScoopX 10x42 UHD/Athlon Cronus UHD binoculars twin selling as "open box demos" for $53.60.

"Scoopx 10x42 UHD Binocular | eBay" https://www.ebay.com/itm/3147507330...kFxGvrGQGgYzHflkzo8Vx28Q==|tkp:Bk9SR67g07ztYg

Cheapest one is $40 + $12 shipping open box buyer doesn't accept returns but is covered by ebay's money back guarantee if it's defective, damaged, or not as described. Stated open box, in excellent new condition with no wear. Item has not been used.

"10x42 Ultra HD Binoculars with Phone Adapter and Harness | eBay" https://www.ebay.com/itm/4044264188...WhnM66QSYscrEnh14SwbD4EZ//QC|tkp:BFBMruDTvO1i

I have a set of those rings on another rifle. I didn't know if I was going to need the adjustment so I bought those. Never had any slippage; they were wonderful. I found out that Burris also makes a 1.5" tall cantilever mount that uses those same rings. It's their AR Signature P.E.P.R. Mount.

Reactions: Scopeye
Had the 1.5-15x 42 DFP w/ Shuriken out this last week for range and gun deer action and very happy with it. This has the new reticle. I had option of taking this or the TT 3-15 LRH, and went with the March since the 1.5x on the low end was more important than the bump in performance of the TT at the high end. That said, at 300 yards, my last group at range with the March was < .625" using an Area 419 Maverick Suppressor 9.5" fully suppressed. Exact config in this pic during deer hunt. I'll be keeping both scopes, using the March for woods, and the TT for longer... 6.5 CM.

Attachments

• 368610872_6853952874683153_4905939846741289479_n.jpg
    368610872_6853952874683153_4905939846741289479_n.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I ordered one of these. I'm going to move my March FX 4.5-28 to my KM OPS-51, the FX 1.5-15 is going on my Delta-51. However, that's still a few months out. I've also got a ZP5 and Razor LHT hanging around without a home already. Ironically, the Minox is destined for the lightest rifle...may end up swapping the ZP5 and the FX 1.5-15 down the road... we'll see.

I really need to update my review, the new DFP reticle swap is a definite improvement in clarity above 8x
Agreed. When I was at range I was at max magnification (15x) and didn't feel I was giving up anything. Something I mentioned in my first mini 'review' was that I felt as if there was an optical centering issues (common among camera lenses, even at the high end manufacturers), but I couldn't detect any of that after I got the scope back from March. The guys at the range were amazed that I got a .625" 3 shot group at 300 yds using factory ammo! (Barnes VOR-TX 127 gr LRX Polymer). This was new ammo I was testing for hunting, and after the performance I got out of these, they might also be my new range round...

I'm not a huge fan of copper monos, but when I have tested Barnes VOR-TX ammo, it's been high quality. My limited experience indicates as good or better than advertised velocity, <15 fps SD for 10 shot strings, and above average precision. That said, their LRX bullets are about average for their respective mass concerning BC, so not especially well-suited to long range use unless they're the clear winner in terms of precision for your rifle.

I am super excited for the folks at March to build my scope. I could not prevail upon them to start producing light weight rings though ;-). They indicated their Euro distributor works that, but they've got no plans to take that in house at Deon (if I understood them right). I can turn up some Ti and other rings on Google, but they don't seem to be factory March options.

Last edited:
Reactions: tightgrp and Denys