• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes March Tactical scopes

Re: March Tactical scopes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Koshkin was the Dark Lord of Optics? </div></div>

Somehow that whole "Dark Lord of Optics" thing stuck to me like glue over the years. I first kept it up since I found it funny, but then it took on a life of its own.

To clarify, my full name is ILya Koshkin. When I first came to SnipersHide, I started posting under by first name. On OpticsTalk, I started by using by last name. Never bothered to change that.

Back to March scopes:

I will be receiving a loaner March scope shortly. It is an illuminated 2.5-25x42 scope with MML reticle. I do not like to look at scopes solo. I think side-by-side comparisons are more valuable. I have an IOR 3-18x42 scope that I can use for that. I am also borrowing a 3-15x50 Premier from a friend of mine to add to the test (due to different objective lenses, this is not a perfect apples-to-apples, but it is close enough). I'll see if I can scrounge up some sort of a top end euro tactical scope with a 42mm objective lens as well, but I will probably have my hands full as is.

ILya </div></div>

Be nice to my Premier!

I look forward to a thorough review of the March scope. If I might be so bold, I recommend you notify them that some owners of other tactical scopes frown upon a 5 year warranty, that is far removed from industry standard. </div></div>

I had nice chat with them at SHOT about that (they are very nice folk by the way). Their hands are a bit tied in that department for the time being, due to Japanese regulations. Apparently businesses below a certain size can not, by law, offer a warranty longer than that. If they choose to grow the business (and offer a longer warranty), their taxation rules will change dramatically. That is why these are effectively handmade, limited production scopes.

In order for March scopes to have a full lifetime warranty, it would have to be underwritten by the importer, Kelbly's, not by Deon. That kind of a step is a little difficult to justify for their volumes. Ultimately, there are some creative things to work around that, and if I like the scope in actual use I will try to pick it up with Kelbly's again.

ILya</div></div>
I read on another forum and spoke to the British distributor of March scopes and he told me that Deon optics told him they would be offering a lifetime warranty soon.Lets hope it happens!
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Koshkin was the Dark Lord of Optics? </div></div>

Somehow that whole "Dark Lord of Optics" thing stuck to me like glue over the years. I first kept it up since I found it funny, but then it took on a life of its own.

To clarify, my full name is ILya Koshkin. When I first came to SnipersHide, I started posting under by first name. On OpticsTalk, I started by using by last name. Never bothered to change that.

Back to March scopes:

I will be receiving a loaner March scope shortly. It is an illuminated 2.5-25x42 scope with MML reticle. I do not like to look at scopes solo. I think side-by-side comparisons are more valuable. I have an IOR 3-18x42 scope that I can use for that. I am also borrowing a 3-15x50 Premier from a friend of mine to add to the test (due to different objective lenses, this is not a perfect apples-to-apples, but it is close enough). I'll see if I can scrounge up some sort of a top end euro tactical scope with a 42mm objective lens as well, but I will probably have my hands full as is.

ILya </div></div>

Hey brother, if you want, I have a couple of PHs and USOs you can use to compare, if we find a time that works and we can meet up. I'm up the road in Monterey. PM me, let me know, and we will see if we can't work something out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Koshkin was the Dark Lord of Optics? </div></div>

Back to March scopes:

ILya </div></div>

Hey brother, if you want, I have a couple of PHs and USOs you can use to compare, if we find a time that works and we can meet up. I'm up the road in Monterey. PM me, let me know, and we will see if we can't work something out. </div></div>

That might work, thanks.

I am also going to have a Vortex Razor on hand to compare. We can meet somewhere half way during the weekend and do an optical side-by-side.

Let me first get all these scopes into my hands, and we can make the arrangements then.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be receiving a loaner March scope shortly. It is an illuminated 2.5-25x42 scope with MML reticle. </div></div>
That's great news, ILYA. Comparing it to those mentioned will give us a really good idea how it stacks up.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the only concern I would have is the body. When I bought the scope. I was told to only put 10 inch pounds on the rings, no more. That had me wonder about the scope body. I might be wrong, but that worried me. The NF you can put 15 inch pounds on the rings. </div></div>
So is that why people have been saying the tubes are weak? I agree it would bring up the question, but there could be other reasons for it. Has anybody asked them why?

Or have people actually dented or bent the tubes on these scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laser range finders are way faster and more accurate that using your reticle. This makes the FFP scope very much an optional component in my mind. </div></div>

To me, the "ranging" aspect of a FFP reticle is secondary to being able to accurately adjust your POA by witnessing your hits - regardless of the magnification set. For instance, if I shoot at 1000 yds and I see my splash hit .5 mils right on 25x - then I know with no-brainer confidence that all I have to do is adjust .5 mils left. If I did that with an SFP scope on 25x, I would have to do some serious public math to make the adjustment since the .5 mil hash mark is NOT .5 mils at 1000 yds. A laser range finder is not going to do that for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Koshkin was the Dark Lord of Optics? </div></div>

Back to March scopes:

ILya </div></div>

Hey brother, if you want, I have a couple of PHs and USOs you can use to compare, if we find a time that works and we can meet up. I'm up the road in Monterey. PM me, let me know, and we will see if we can't work something out. </div></div>

That might work, thanks.

I am also going to have a Vortex Razor on hand to compare. We can meet somewhere half way during the weekend and do an optical side-by-side.

Let me first get all these scopes into my hands, and we can make the arrangements then.

ILya</div></div>
Any update on the reveiw Ilya? Would love to hear how it went.
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmerdeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Back to March scopes:

ILya </div></div>

That might work, thanks.

ILya</div></div>
Any update on the reveiw Ilya? Would love to hear how it went.
Elmer</div></div>

I think you are giving me too much credit, Elmer. Pulling of a review so quickly it is quite beyond my means (I have a day job, after all).

I have received the March scope a couple of days ago. RC is going to send me his Premier Heritage next week. I also asked Vortex to send me one of their Razor HD scopes to add to the comparison.

Upon initial inspection, the March scope looks very good. Controls are butter smooth. Knobs have excellent feel. The clicks are 0.1mil with 10mil per revolution. There is a dual scale on the elevation knob, in case you need to have more than one turn.

Overall, I really like the way the knobs are configured: they are wide, but not very tall, which makes them both easy to grab and unlikely to snag on stuff. March offers a zero stop on all of their models, but this scope is not equipped with one. I saw it at SHOT and it seemed like a pretty robust device, but I can not easily test it.

I will mount the scope on my DTA SRS that normally wears an IOR 3-18x42FFP, and head to the range this coming weekend. Here is what it looks like with the IOR on top of it. March is similar in size to the IOR.

DTA_SRS_IOR_3-18x42FFP-1.jpg

I'll keep you posted with how my testing progresses.

I am a detail-oriented guy and I try to make detail-oriented comparisons, so the final write-up is going to take a little time. If you do not see me post any updates for a little while, remind me.

ILya

Guys,
This is a great thread! I am glad to see the spark that March has caused in the Tactical market. It is by far the hardest scope market to enter! You guys beat the crap out of equipment and i can atest to that! We are very pleased with the durability of these scopes. Do you know any scope that will take an AR-50 with the objective lens facing you? The March has been tested for this and IT LOST NOT ONE BIT OF POA!

Good news for FFP lovers! We will have FFP scopes out at the beginning of 2011! March has been working on the design for over a year now and I still have not seen it, but I only expect the best from them! If you are coming to the Shot Show please come by the booth to see the FFP scope. They are expecting to have it done for us to display there.

If anyone is in need of information or to order a scope please contact me, here at Kelbly's! My name is Ian and I can help you with the tactical side of things alot easier. My email is [email protected] and my phone number here is 330-683-4674

Wishing the best shooting to all,
Ian A. Kelbly

Thanks for chiming in to this thread, Ian.

FFP March Scope?

That is a very interesting development indeed! I'll definitely try to get my paws on it during SHOT.

Which configuration is the FFP scope going to be?

So far, I am very impressed with the overall feel of the 2.5-25x42 that Jim sent me. It is mounted on my 338LM and I am taking it to the range tomorrow.

ILya

Guys I have been using a March for awhile. I used in last US F Class Nationals. Mine is a 10-60 and is best F Class scope I have used. I have also ran this on my DTA 338 Lapua and it freakin works great there.

I am about to send in another order for a 5-50 with 34mm tube.

Now the name March is fairly new but the guys who design and run the company are vet's in scope industry. Dont be affraid of the scopes they are tops

XLS files are Excel worksheets. You need Excel which usually comes with Microsoft Office or an app that will open Excel files.

I took the March scope to the range for the first time yesterday. I did not spend much time looking at the glass in detail, but it seems quite good. I'll be doing optical tests as I go along. Yesterday, was just making sure that it does not fall apart on me and that the knobs are working properly. I was mostly shooting at 100yards, mostly off the bench, with a target that is 24 inches wide and 48 inches tall, so that is an approximate extent of how much I could exercise the knobs. To the best of my ability to check, the knobs are accurate. I mounted it on my DTA SRS in 338LM:
March_25-25x422of12.jpg

At some point, there was a piece of debri on the reticle, but recoil eventually shook it loose and it never re-appeared. All in all, I fired a touch over fifty shots with March over a course of a few hours and did not run into any usage or mechanical problems. The last few shots I took at metal plates at varying distances and, once again, did not run into any problems. I will do one more round of knob-twisting with this scopes just in case, but that will be on my AR.

ILya

ILya,

Did you have a chance to compare the march with any other scope?

A quick update:

I am comparing the following scopes: March 2.5-25x42, Premier 3-15x50, Vortex Razor 5-20x50, and IOR 3-18x42.

This is not, strictly speaking an apples to apples comparison, but I am trying to take that into account the best I can.

I am largely done with the day time tests, but I still need to do low light stuff, etc.

Mechanically, March has been flawless and, as far the overall mechanical packaging goes, this is probably my favourite scope of any I have ever seen. Zero stop works perfectly and is very simple to set up. Adjustments are spot on (it is now sitting on my 223 AR and I did a bunch more adjustment tests).

Optically, March scope is definitely very good. It has some obvious strengths, but also a couple of (relative) weaknesses. I'll flesh it out more in the full write-up.

I will try to wrap up with low light tests over the course of the next week or two.

ILya

Thanks for the update.

I'd love to be in line for a MIL/MIL FFP March. Really, the lack of a FFP option was the only thing holding me back.

I just do not do the "pre order" thing. Too often it goes sour.

Thank you for the update.
Curious to see how it compares to the premier and other scopes in optically?
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmerdeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the update.
Curious to see how it compares to the premier and other scopes in optically?
Elmer</div></div>

Overall, I like the glass on the Premier a little more than on the March, although that is situation and purpose dependent. For some things March is as good as anything else I have ever seen or better. In some other situations it looks like they had to make some subtle compromises in order to make that crazy 10x erector ratio work.

As I said, I am still looking at it.

Part of the reason why everything takes me a while is that I do multiple sessions of comparing the scopes, during different time of day, different lighting, etc. I also have a bunch of other people look at the scopes other than me.

ILya

Good scope but have to wait for a long time after order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700 XCR Compact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good scope but have to wait for a long time after order. </div></div>

Isn't that the case with all high end optics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700 XCR Compact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good scope but have to wait for a long time after order. </div></div>

Isn't that the case with all high end optics? </div></div>
Afterall, they are handmade...any updates yet?

Mounted my new 2.5 x 25 - 42mm up today,

I am so impressed I am with this little thing. I holds it's own with the likes of Premier, NightForce and USO in glass quality (I own them all). For a 2.5x25 x 42mm it's just amazing. I think James nailed it, it's the ultimate hunting scope. Note it would more than hold's it own in the precision world too.

The only scope that glass looks noticeably better so far is Mikes S&B 5-25. That thing is super nice but really competes with the 52 and 56mm March units.

It's only a SFP optic but that is more of a preference, every thing else about it is great. I think I might need to buy it's bigger brother for my LR gun.

MOA or MIl versions available
25 MOA per rev (great clicks)
Zero Stop
100 MOA elevation adjustment
10 yard focus (on 2.5 I can focus at 7 feet)
Small and light...
Very easy to get behind

Tracking is flawless.

UPDATES:

9-13-10:

Zeroing the Scope.
I read the instructions (big step for me) today. You zero the scope NF style. It has three set screws around the knobs. To set the zero just loosen the screws, rotate the knob, then tighten. The zero stop is very nice and easy adjust. The scope has a big slotted head on top the elevation knob you can fit a coin into. Turning the slotted head clockwise until it stops sets the stop at whatever setting you are at. You can remove the stop by turning the slotted head counterclockwise. I really like the ability to set the stop at any location.

Reticle: I have the MTR-1 reticle. It's 2MOA @ 20x 4MOA @ 10x...

image-MTR-1R.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elmerdeer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read on another forum and spoke to the British distributor of March scopes and he told me that Deon optics told him they would be offering a lifetime warranty soon.Lets hope it happens!
Elmer </div></div>

The short warranty coupled with a high price is the main reason I ruled out buying a March scope. If they do offer a lifetime warranty, and actually provide good warranty service, I would love to have several of their scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally posted my write-up that includes the March:

High End Tactical: East vs West

My apologies for the long wait.

ILya </div></div>
Thank you Sir!Excellent review,
Elmer

Great article-Thank You for the great info. barry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laser range finders are way faster and more accurate that using your reticle. This makes the FFP scope very much an optional component in my mind. </div></div>

To me, the "ranging" aspect of a FFP reticle is secondary to being able to accurately adjust your POA by witnessing your hits - regardless of the magnification set. For instance, if I shoot at 1000 yds and I see my splash hit .5 mils right on 25x - then I know with no-brainer confidence that all I have to do is adjust .5 mils left. If I did that with an SFP scope on 25x, I would have to do some serious public math to make the adjustment since the .5 mil hash mark is NOT .5 mils at 1000 yds. A laser range finder is not going to do that for me. </div></div>

This is my feeling on the best use of a FFP reticle optic, EXACTLY. I couldn't have expressed it better. I'm not using it so much for actual range finding, but using a FFP reticle to simplify my 'call' and adjustment for follow-on shots - no matter what the magnification setting.

Also, if you're a tactical rifle competitor; some competitions do not allow lasers.

Yeap ,

When they bring out the FFP version later this yr , I will be having a real hard look at one , due to the nice small size , I can see these being put on the smaller SWSs & LR hunting rigs out there .

Me I am looking at dropping it on to a mint Parker Hale M85 & maybe a Steyr SSG PII .

Once they offer the FFP , the only other thing I would like is CW knobs , as all my PMII run in that configuration , and as its MY money to be used , I will wait until they also sort that out .

Cheers Chris

Hey nice write up.

Have you had a chance to look at the March "X" Scopes? They come in 5-5-x56 or 8-80x56 and have 34mm tubes.

I have looked side by side, with a 15x Premier and the March X scope on 15 power. Both with same tube and objective size. The Premiere is fantastic and March is just insainly good optically.

I have not meassured field of view on these two scope yet, but on 15X they seem pretty close to the same if not the same. Its pretty hard to compare a short, light tactical scope against a much larger heavier scope, so the March X seems like a closer apples to apples match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey nice write up.

Have you had a chance to look at the March "X" Scopes? They come in 5-5-x56 or 8-80x56 and have 34mm tubes.

I have looked side by side, with a 15x Premier and the March X scope on 15 power. Both with same tube and objective size. The Premiere is fantastic and March is just insainly good optically.

I have not measured field of view on these two scope yet, but on 15X they seem pretty close to the same if not the same. Its pretty hard to compare a short, light tactical scope against a much larger heavier scope, so the March X seems like a closer apples to apples match. </div></div>

I have only seen March X scopes at the SHOT Show last year, and they looked very good. However, the model of most interest to me was the 2.5-25x42, so that is the one I asked for when given the opportunity. Perhaps, next time I set up a comparison of scopes of this type, I will set up a more of an apples-to-apples comparison.

ILya

Understood. I went other way with the two big scopes for F TR Class and my 338 Lapua first. Next year, Insha'Allah I will buy two of the smaller Tactical Models.

These things have workmanship out of this world

Very interesting scope..would like to an extensive field test of the scope to see how it holds up to the elements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood. I went other way with the two big scopes for F TR Class and my 338 Lapua first. Next year, Insha'Allah I will buy two of the smaller Tactical Models.

These things have workmanship out of this world </div></div>

Mike, I just looked up the specs on the FOV of the March X scopes and it looks to be the same as that on the 2.5-25x42 when at the same magnification.

They do have phenomenal workmanship. As I said in the review, I am very impressed.

On a separate note, if memory serves me right, you also live in California. Where do you shoot F TR around here? I have been thinking of trying that (along with High Power shooting).

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood. I went other way with the two big scopes for F TR Class and my 338 Lapua first. Next year, Insha'Allah I will buy two of the smaller Tactical Models.

These things have workmanship out of this world </div></div>

Hi Tactical

I am curious what your thoughts are on the 8x80 did you put it on the F T/R rig. has the higher magnification allowed you to resolve mirage earlier or later in the match either as mirage was building or dying off that you may not have previously seen with the NF? Have you been able to bump up the power? I read your article on the 10-60 and was curious if you could turn the power higher with the increase in tube size 30 to 34. March seems to have allot of appealing features for F class, power, (especially) weight savings, and clarity, but the cost is something I have to account for almost 3 NF to 1 March.

Thanks
Trevor

I shoot in Sacramento mostly.

The 8-80 is freaking fantastic. The glass just kills everything else out there for being able to resolve that tiny little x ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot in Sacramento mostly.

The 8-80 is freaking fantastic. The glass just kills everything else out there for being able to resolve that tiny little x ring.</div></div>

Thanks, Mike.

Sacramento is a bit out of my way, but I'll keep it in mind.

ILya