• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March, vs NF, vs Leupold-Help Me Choose

timberwoofers

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
The Left Coast in Sunny CA
After much research looking for a bit of insight on choosing one of a few scope options.

This will go on a AR, 5.56, Compass Lake Engineering 20" upper. Access to 300 yards target currently but would like to do further maybe 600 at a later date.

At this time wanting an FFP with MOA scope. Having some debate with some of this, but wanting to move forward and make a decision to get something on the rifle. This will be my first optic of this level/quality.

Scopes I'm looking at are the March-F 3-24x42, NF ATACR 4-16x42, and the Leupold Mark 5 3-18x44.

Looking at size/weight, FOV, quality of glass. Price around $2500. Illumination IDK?

To complicate things (or less so) a friend of mine just offered to sell me a March F 3-24x52 that has under 10 rounds through it for about 1k under list.

I'm leaning towards one of the March scopes.

Thanks for your feedback.

Go.

Won’t be disappointed with March. I have two. Hand built. Track well. Very good glass. All scopes at that level are very good. Bees dick in it. Comes down to your reticle preference and maybe aesthetics. People carry on about March’s warranty.....but that isn’t an issue if you ever had a problem which you probably won’t. Cheers.

For your average shooter, its really not going to make a difference, chose the optic that has a recticle you like and go shoot.

If you can get 1000 off the March, I would recommend that. Personally, if you have access to MIL/LE pricing I really like leupold

Reactions: Antares and Denys
Personally I have a couple Mk5s on my hunting guns, mainly for the weight to feature ratio. The eyebox is more forgiving than the March and the reticle and how it looks under illumination sealed the deal for me.

that said, the March has better glass snd is 2oz lighter. Never really loved my Atcar seemed very parallax sensitive

For the record, I am looking at these from a long range hunting angle. But if these types of FFP scopes are to be used, closer like on a hunting gun, you want illumination so that you can see the reticle easily during the daylight at min power

Won’t be disappointed with March. I have two. Hand built. Track well. Very good glass. All scopes at that level are very good. Bees dick in it. Comes down to your reticle preference and maybe aesthetics. People carry on about March’s warranty.....but that isn’t an issue if you ever had a problem which you probably won’t. Cheers.
For your average shooter, its really not going to make a difference, chose the optic that has a recticle you like and go shoot.

If you can get 1000 off the March, I would recommend that. Personally, if you have access to MIL/LE pricing I really like leupold

Thank you both for your feedback.
No access to MIL/LE pricing.

Reactions: Heffo
Personally I have a couple Mk5s on my hunting guns, mainly for the weight to feature ratio. The eyebox is more forgiving than the March and the reticle and how it looks under illumination sealed the deal for me.

that said, the March has better glass snd is 2oz lighter. Never really loved my Atcar seemed very parallax sensitive

For the record, I am looking at these from a long range hunting angle. But if these types of FFP scopes are to be used, closer like on a hunting gun, you want illumination so that you can see the reticle easily during the daylight at min power

Thanks for this info.
Is it typical for these optics for it to be difficult to see the reticle during the day? Maybe the background you're hunting in? Could you be more specific?
I'm green on this, wanting to understand. Thanks

Thanks for this info.
Is it typical for these optics for it to be difficult to see the reticle during the day? Maybe the background you're hunting in? Could you be more specific?
I'm green on this, wanting to understand. Thanks

I guess the easiest way was to draw an example. I used a Bull as they tend to be lighter in color and easier to see a black reticle when it is laid over. A bear, pig, or something in the shadows would be far worse. Note I just drew a random reticle as an example.
FFP example High zoom low zoom-01.png
FFPs scale with the target as the zoom is manipulated. This makes them ideal for fast come-ups and more importantly, accurate wind holds. Other than tending to be heavier than SPF scopes, many hunters wrongly state that they are not good because they can't see the small wind holds when zoomed all the way to the lowest power or that they can't "see" the reticle.

1. We zoom out to get maximum FOV for near range targets let's say from 0 - 150 yards pick our distance. So wind and drop are not even in play. With distance come time and opportunity, so you can easily dial the magnification up a bit.​
2. If you pick the correct reticle especially with illumination, it will function just like the duplex does at close range. Almost like an illuminated SFP!​

If you choose wisely and understand the scope, FFPs are rock solid for hunting. After all, they were designed to hunt the most dangerous of animals, ones that shoot back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bart
After much research looking for a bit of insight on choosing one of a few scope options.

This will go on a AR, 5.56, Compass Lake Engineering 20" upper. Access to 300 yards target currently but would like to do further maybe 600 at a later date.

At this time wanting an FFP with MOA scope. Having some debate with some of this, but wanting to move forward and make a decision to get something on the rifle. This will be my first optic of this level/quality.

Scopes I'm looking at are the March-F 3-24x42, NF ATACR 4-16x42, and the Leupold Mark 5 3-18x44.

Looking at size/weight, FOV, quality of glass. Price around $2500. Illumination IDK?

To complicate things (or less so) a friend of mine just offered to sell me a March F 3-24x52 that has under 10 rounds through it for about 1k under list.

I'm leaning towards one of the March scopes.

Go.
I would suggest that the best choice, especially for the money is the March-F 3-24X52 from your friend. The warranty transfers automatically as it's based on the date of manufacture of the scope; 10 years and even past that March will work with you if you break something.

A virtually new-in-box March-F 3-24X52 $1000 below regular price? Wow!

I guess the easiest way was to draw an example. I used a Bull as they tend to be lighter in color and easier to see a black reticle when it is laid over. A bear, pig, or something in the shadows would be far worse. Note I just drew a random reticle as an example.
FFPs scale with the target as the zoom is manipulated. This makes them ideal for fast come-ups and more importantly, accurate wind holds. Other than tending to be heavier than SPF scopes, many hunters wrongly state that they are not good because they can't see the small wind holds when zoomed all the way to the lowest power or that they can't "see" the reticle.

1. We zoom out to get maximum FOV for near range targets let's say from 0 - 150 yards pick our distance. So wind and drop are not even in play. With distance come time and opportunity, so you can easily dial the magnification up a bit.​
2. If you pick the correct reticle especially with illumination, it will function just like the duplex does at close range. Almost like an illuminated SFP!​

If you choose wisely and understand the scope, FFPs are rock solid for hunting. After all, they were designed to hunt the most dangerous of animals, ones that shoot back.

Great example and explanation. Got it. Unfortunately my friends March is not illuminated. Decisions decisions.

I would suggest that the best choice, especially for the money is the March-F 3-24X52 from your friend. The warranty transfers automatically as it's based on the date of manufacture of the scope; 10 years and even past that March will work with you if you break something.

A virtually new-in-box March-F 3-24X52 $1000 below regular price? Wow!

Remember I said 'about 1k'. This is the one he's got. https://www.eurooptic.com/March-F-T...-Reticle-1-4MOA-FFP-Riflescope-D24V52FMA.aspx

Though I imagine you get a great discount if you are testing March's new optics. ;) I discovered the thread on the March 1.5-15X42. Looks like a great scope. To bad it's not available, make my choice more difficult lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denys
Remember I said 'about 1k'. This is the one he's got. https://www.eurooptic.com/March-F-T...-Reticle-1-4MOA-FFP-Riflescope-D24V52FMA.aspx

Though I imagine you get a great discount if you are testing March's new optics. ;) I discovered the thread on the March 1.5-15X42. Looks like a great scope. To bad it's not available, make my choice more difficult lol.

The March 1.5-15X42 is available. You can order it now and it takes about a month since they are all hand-built.

I'd take the March from your friend. If you don't like it for some reason, you won't lose money for sure.
If it were MIL based, I'd ask for his name. :)