• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Marines New ACOG/RCO

Count VonFuhrman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
From AR15.com
Trijicon numbers SKU: TA31-D-100581 and TA31-D-100582 (same but with LaRue mount) The "Horseshoe" represents a 19 inch target at 200m.

The open section is a 19" target at 300m.

the 4 and 5 lines also represent the same. Past that, it is the gap that represents the 19" at the respective distances.

Now this reticle was designed for both the 14.5 inch M249 and the 19.5 inch M249 barrels.

So the short (lower) BDC lines are for the shorter barrel (say if you are using a M4), and the longer lines work with the longer barrel. For M4 and M16A4 rifles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediafiles/234898/RCO_855_jpg-1181949.JPG

What was the old one. Didn't have the chance to have one when I was in the Corps. Just interesting with all the new gear that came out after I got out in 2006. But glad that they got them. Alot better then open sights I imagine. Lol
Semper Fi

Wow you would think they could at least make the lower vertical stadia perpendicular to the horizontal section!?

Pretty cool that they did that. Getting back to something that was figured out in the late 1800's and implemented in the trapdoor Springfield.

Wow you would think they could at least make the lower vertical stadia perpendicular to the horizontal section!?
What on earth, I thought it might have been an optical illusion, but grabbed a screenshot and drew a green line from the center dot, it is definitely off

1575414792385.png

The illustration on Trijicon website shows it tilted. The actual optic looks tilted. Just looked at mine.
What on earth, I thought it might have been an optical illusion, but grabbed a screenshot and drew a green line from the center dot, it is definitely off

View attachment 7195127

Last edited:
The lower lines may be tilted on purpose to correct for spin drift.

• Haha
Reactions: goatboy
What was figured out?

Look up what a flip up leaf sight on an 1873 Trapdoor looks like. Pretty cool. It goes up at an angle to compensate for spin drift. Crazy they were thinking of that. Even crazier to lob a brick of a bullet at 14xx fps velocity at 2k yards. You have to tuck the butt under your armpit to use the sights, lol.

Edit: it's probably not that important at the ranges you'll likely use an ACOG but very possible the reticle is like that intentionally.

Reactions: LG65CM
So they’re sticking with ACOGs? Boo! I was happy to see the 2nd Division Gunner looking at LPVOs and other improvements awhile back, then he retired.

What was the old one. Didn't have the chance to have one when I was in the Corps. Just interesting with all the new gear that came out after I got out in 2006. But glad that they got them. Alot better then open sights I imagine. Lol
Semper Fi
Better target ID than A2 sights, for sure. You didn’t see them that late?! We got some in ‘04 in theater that were already roached out.

Better target ID than A2 sights, for sure. You didn’t see them that late?! We got some in ‘04 in theater that were already roached out.
Was there in theater, for kickoff. Never made it back there. Yea, all we had in the beginning.

Reactions: JC0352
Look up what a flip up leaf sight on an 1873 Trapdoor looks like. Pretty cool. It goes up at an angle to compensate for spin drift. Crazy they were thinking of that. Even crazier to lob a brick of a bullet at 14xx fps velocity at 2k yards. You have to tuck the butt under your armpit to use the sights, lol.

Edit: it's probably not that important at the ranges you'll likely use an ACOG but very possible the reticle is like that intentionally.
Was thinking the exact thing with your edit - spin drift at effective 5.56 ranges?

Reactions: ddavis
These are the M7, been on the street for about 2 years. It's one common optic for M4s, M16s and now IARs with M855. The horseshoe is better, as is the zeroing instructions etched in the side. A LPVO will replace the M7 on infantry guns once selected.

WTF. The eye relief on those are heinous. I would hit the brow of my eye every time for qual days. Did a lot of CMP shoots and what not but had body armor on for that stuff so it wouldn't matter too much.

I like ACOGs... just not that model. Seriously. Can their R&D department come up with even just 1/4 inch more eye relief? Fuck me. I feel bad for the guys running the SAWs that these things are going to.

I wonder why they're not going to the TA11-SDOs that are used fleetwide on the HK M27s. Much better eye relief than the TA31s with pretty much the same reticle.

I wonder why they're not going to the TA11-SDOs that are used fleetwide on the HK M27s. Much better eye relief than the TA31s with pretty much the same reticle.

Money. M7s are refurbished old ones and the upgrade was rolled into long term maintenance programs. SDO reticle I believe is not correct for 14.5" barrels. The LPVO will replace both in the next few years ... supposedly.

Just don't ask where the reticle lines up with M855A1; broke some Gunners' brains last month with that simple question.