• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 ERT vs NF F1

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This topic has been beaten to death but I just cant figure out what I want to do. I currently have a custom 300winmag that shoots bugholes. I shoot out to 1000yds pretty frequently. I currently have a Mark 4 ERT M5 4.5-14 power on this winmag, and it has performed flawlessly. BUT, I find myself needing more magnification. When shooting between 300 - 700yds it is pretty difficult for me to see bullet holes in the paper, making adjusting my shots hard.

I just received my new custom 6.5x47lapua, and I plan on taking the Mark 4 off my winmag and using it on this gun instead. I feel the magnification range is better suited to the 6.5x47.

This leaves me in need of a new scope for my winmag. I am back and forth between getting another Mark 4 ERT M5 but with the 6.5-20 or 8.5 - 24 power vs the Nightforce F1. The ONLY reason im considering the NF is because of the illuminated reticle. I think it may help in some of the low light hunting situations I get myself into.

Any advice? I had considered a Vortex Razor, but Im not sure I would trust its tracking as much as I would trust the Mark 4 or F1

Re: Mark 4 ERT vs NF F1

The illumination is nice. But I think the increased mag on the Mark 4 will be more useful? I don't know

Have you considered how small the FOV of 8.5x is on low power?

Furthermore, resolution matters as much, if not more than magnification. I can see things with my S&B on 12x that I can't see through a VX-III at 20x.

I know the fov won't be ideal at 8x. That does concern me because I do use this winmag to hunt.

For what its worth, if there is any mirage, you're going to have a hard time seeing bullet holes in paper with either at extended ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BUT, I find myself needing more magnification. When shooting between 300 - 700yds it is pretty difficult for me to see bullet holes in the paper, making adjusting my shots hard. </div></div>

The issue is not performance, rather expectations.

I was shooting my F1 last weekend and found myself wanting more mag. I've read where the actual mag of the F1 is closer to 14x rather than 15x. I think it was Ilya that mentioned it in one of his comparisons.

Now that the Razor has 10 mil knobs I'd consider one again.

Better yet I'd wait till after the Shotshow and see what comes out for 2013.

I own all four and like the 6.5-20 MK4 the best.

It has better resolution then my F1 does

I pck the 6.5-20 over the 8.5-25 simply because of fov.

Now all of the scopes listed are great scopes I just prefer what I prefer

The F1 is my least favorite NXS of all time and I am waiting to see thier new FFP scopes

except the F1 lacks power... look at the RAZOR... it has everything + more...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had considered a Vortex Razor, but Im not sure I would trust its tracking as much as I would trust the Mark 4 or F1</div></div>

we sent a nxs in for a tracking issue.. didnt get the scope back for over 3 months...

sent my razor in to have the 10mill turrets put on, and a full checkup and tracking test.. it was done in 4 days...

My rifle wears a 5-25x56. Most of the time, I shoot on 12-15x. I usually only turn it up to read mirage or for spotting. In the summer, it seems I can't ever get over about 20x anyway. I think high-magnification is overrated, but it does have its uses.

Of all my scopes... the one that gives me the absolutely most confidence is the Nightforce F1. I know it's going to track right, I know it's not going to give me problems... the MLR2 reticle is extremely easy to use and understand...

I prefer it over my Premier, Vortex, SWFA etc...

When Nightforce comes out with a 5-20 FFP or something like that... I'm all over it... i just hope the price point nor glass is S&B level... I just want an F1 with more range.

I have not however been behind the Mark 4 of which you speak so take what I say with a grain of salt.
smile.gif

I'm really between the Razor and Mark 4 ERT M5 in 6-20. I love the TMR reticle. Does the Razor have an open center crosshairs available?

I own both of them, the F1 with the MLR2 and the mk4 with the 34mm tube, locking turrets TMR, I haven't found a fault with either of them. You just need to pick your poison, illumation or magnification, its really the only difference I've found between the two.

For hunting, illuminated reticle is a must. I have a custom 300 win mag with NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1. Arizona Elk & Deer hunting(this means long range hunting, 350-1000+ yards). NEVER LET ME DOWN. But do not forget NF illumination intensity adjustment is tricky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the Razor have an open center crosshairs available? </div></div>

I *THINK* the newest reticule is an open center with christmas tree type windage holds down to 10 mils.

Only problem I had with the razors I used was that on 18-20X they were too tight for me but I hear the new eyepiece is comfortable at max.

Libertyoptics be the one to talk to he carries leupie and vortex tell him you heard about him on sniper's hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atanasius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting, illuminated reticle is a must. </div></div>

I cannot agree with that, back when i was young i used to professionally kangaroo cull (legally) at night and never once wished i had illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own all four and like the 6.5-20 MK4 the best.

It has better resolution then my F1 does

I pck the 6.5-20 over the 8.5-25 simply because of fov.

Now all of the scopes listed are great scopes I just prefer what I prefer

The F1 is my least favorite NXS of all time and I am waiting to see thier new FFP scopes</div></div>

Which MK 4 are you talking about? The 30mm or 34mm version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atanasius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For hunting, illuminated reticle is a must. </div></div>

I cannot agree with that, back when i was young i used to professionally kangaroo cull (legally) at night and never once wished i had illumination. </div></div>
I have never felt the need for Illumination either, although it is always really cool to show off the illumination on optics to friends/coalition troops.. etc.

Jig Stick,

Seeing holes in paper at distances over 400 yds I believe is going to be a challenge with any glass. You can use a Shoot n See and take a magic marker to black out all lines. This has worked for me out to 600. The problem being if you don't hit the target it is doubtful you will see any holes in the surrounding paper.

Gil Horsley

its not so much that I want to see the holes. I just want to be able to see the center of the targets better. My targets have MOA sized centers. Once I get to about 300 meters its really hard to tell if im aiming dead center. If I had a little more mag I could aim a little more precisely I think