• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Marking QD Mount Location

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    While I wait for finances to line up for another good scope, I am thinking I will swap a piece of quality glass between a couple AR's (will be used for load development on random ARs). I have an ADM mount on the way.

Has anyone come up with a good way to mark the spot on the receiver to get the best return to zero? I have thought of a piece of tape, marker (if it shows up), or maybe something I haven't thought of. Is there a simple solution to this? I'll obviously have to keep track of the clicks but I'd like to make it as fool proof as possible. Thanks

I use the magpul rail covers to bracket the mount area, so the mount goes between them. Just take a paint pen and mark the pic rail where the back of the mount would be.

Realistically, you should always verify zero so just install it where you like the eye relief. It might not be perfectly zero'd even if you install it flawlessly every time.

I count slots from the rear going forward to the first cross bolt on the mount. Write it down. Have a rail cover you like use that too. It works.

Use a paint pen to mark the location on the rifle and then note it in your gun book.

Reactions: FatBoy
    Unless you’re running a handful of different stocks and LOP’s, shouldn’t eye relief be consistent across platforms using one scope? Have used the Larue pic rail bars below when moving optics around between applications.
    FA8E3AA8-9BB0-483B-B049-D3B90A5AE26A.jpegCE5D066F-525A-45C6-83FD-AB3F4F93F6EF.jpeg

Reactions: rlsmith1
    I use various colored paint pens as well. I have several of the same model rear sights and several 50mm NXS. Once I zero for a rifle I mark it on a ring and the rail with the same color. One more check to make sure I don’t grab the wrong shit out of the safe when I roll out to a match. That may seem off to some, but I have to pull my scopes off to fit my rifles and we swap between irons and scope on many of them.

image.jpg

Nice! Not too many users of Warner sights here. I like the idea of color-coding the paint dots with the sight/scope.

that particular rifle has a Phoenix . My daughter took my WTC for her 6 Dasher so I use 2x Phoenix and 3x RPAs. I swap 2x rightsites between them up front, which are also color coded for 600/1k zeros in the sight band. I have to use front and back to avoid overlap.

Reactions: smoothy8500