• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marksmen issued better M14 rifles in Afghanistan

Re: Marksmen issued better rifles in Afghanistan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That has to be one of the most incredibly off track posts I've seen yet.

Everything you do as an infantryman (assuming that is what you do) is for nothing if you don't have an individual weapon- an Rtard can go kill people without tactical training- a tactical expert can't do a whole hell of a lot without a weapon.

I really cannot believe I just read such ignorance.

EDIT: Really- that is perhaps the worst thing I've read on this entire page. How long have you been in? What branch? MOS? How do you expect to capture and hold an objective if you can't provide effective fire? Garand? REALLY??? That's only slightly less ridiculous than saying a Springfield 1903. </div></div>

Yes I am sure you have your idea of what warefare is inside your head. However real life is a lot different.

If you get the other guy to keep his head down because your unit successfully laid down suppressive fire with the main MG, then you already won. Does not matter if most of the squad/platoon have M16s or Garands.

I am not in any more, I was a 12B and we sometimes get broken up and assign to 11B units. We did not really train with individual weapons as much as you think we did.

We trained tactics, trained conditioning, mostly conditioning... train fire and moving while most of the long range suppressor fire came from the M60's and Mah Deauces. M203, AT4's and LAWs were also emulated. We emulating firing mortars (I was not a mortar man) and moving after the mortar was fired.

Reality is this: you can lay down all the small arms fire you want, but for the most part what takes out an enemy position is a tank, mortar, or even tube launchers such as an AT4. Key is to get close enough to use these weapons.

"Cover me while I move" works just as well with all weapons but better if it is a 556 M4 because a gun that shoots a 556 round is lighter so you can move easier, and the 556 round is smaller so therefore you can carry more rounds to give more suppressive fire. More suppressive fire means more likely the other guy keeps his head down your unit can move easier and set up the next FOREWARD machine gun position. REPEAT until you are on top of the enemy.

The Garand is not going to provide as good as covering fire as say a M16 because of the decrease payload, but it can be done. Most of your covering fire will be coming from Machine Guns such as M1919's, M60, M240, and M2's anyways. If your tactics are sound, and you understand fire and moving, coordinated, disciplined, etc, it can be done. Tell these guys it can't be done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A9court_Manor_Assault. If they had mortars the job would have been easier.

However, again we are talking about DMR weapons here that shoot a .308 round to put longer range support in the hands of a few men at the squad level. Original question was M16 vs. M14 or if we carried it. But if you want to get off topic, I can, and I can do you the favor of even keeping it off topic. Not my job to get a thread back on topic.

Let me ask you this? If you are in, how much time do you spend PT comparing to firing real ammo? How much more blanks do you use compared to real ammo?

Edit: to make link hot </div></div>

Okay... I'm short on time, so the extent of my reply will be this...

When I need to know how to lay a road, clear obstacles or maybe demo a bridge... I'll give you a call.

You should defer small unit tactics, weapons employment, use of fires, precision fires and infantry tactics to those who actually ARE combat arms (infantry, scout, 18 series)...

In other words, you're arguing a point for which you have marginal experience and knowledge against persons (myself, gunfighter) who are/were SME's compared to a 12 series.

Blanks? LOL I haven't fired a blank in at least 5 or 6 years, maybe more (yes I am still in)

I'll touch on the rest when I have more time.

EDIT: upon further consideration I have fired blanks within the last two years in stalking exercises. But not so much in M4's. Simmunitions are the wave of the future- at least I hope they fully replace blanks for all practical purposes at some point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think you are only talking about one form of combat. Bottom line is it takes many different shapes on the battlefield and from what you did, that was how it was. I got out in 07 but due to the mission, we had to keep our skills very sharp with our battle rifles and carbines. Sure we PT a hell of a lot, but I remember putting down almost as much time at the range as I do remember shooting the sh*t out of my weapon. From your perspective you were the hammer. Dont forget the scalpel though. Those guys needed a lot of training with their small arms weapons systems. The whole spray and pray mentality developed in vietnam because a lot of times you couldnt see the enemy. In Iraq and AFG when you can see a little further out, something like an EBR will get the job done for now. Not to say something better will come along, but right now its a cheaper and faster solution for whats needed until a better system can be implemented.

PS, Ive got some friends at the 38th Rescue Sqd, 31st SOS, 320th STS and 17th SOS that use the EBR. They are the ones that turned me on to getting the system after they took it on some of their ops. A lot of them say its well worth it and coming from guys I respect and trust with my life, thats saying something.

EBR all the way. =P </div></div>

I am just answering post as they come, I never said there was one way to fight a war. I am just saying, we do not train with live ammo with our individual weapons as everyone thinks we do.

1) guy says who carried a M14 or M16 in combat, for which I answered.
2) another "smart guy" that I seem to meet on forums a lot, asks me what unit did I serve with and he tried to educate me on WWI tactics.
3) I answered with what I did while I was in
and this is where we are at now
smile.gif

The EBR can do the job, and to the end users of M14 do seem to give a lot of love for the M14-EBR. However, the end user does not have to time the barrel, and lap the bolt to get that magic headspace. The end user also does not have to swap out parts when gun is broken. The end user does not also have to pay for the weapon. Get the point?

WWII troops loved their Garands and BARS. Early Vietnam Troops love their M14's. So I guess because the troop loves them means they are superior weapons and should be used in current and future conflicts?

I will admit, a 308 EBR is nice for long range engagements where you have to go through concrete barriers. However, we only use the M14 is because it is what we have in inventory. Just like why we still used the M60 Tank in the Gulf War, it is because it is what is in the inventory. Oh the USS KittyHawk too, we used that too because that is what we have in the inventory. Because it is what is in Inventory I guess that makes it a superior weapon?

As for the "spray and pray" mentality that was used in Vietnam, I would not know, I was not there. I read about this guy named Carlos Hitchcock though, and I believe he served in Vietnam, did he spray and pray?

I am thankful I meet so many smart guys on these gun forums. I am learning a lot.

There is more to being an elite trooper than shooting a gun. No one ever drops out of Ranger School, SF School, or Sniper School because they can't shoot a gun. Any fool can shoot a gun, the reason guys get weeded out of these school is because of their conditioning (or lack thereof). What separates our best from everyone else is how best can still shoot straight after humping 20 miles, with lack of sleep, on an empty stomach.

It seems this will end as others have in the past, but before that happens,...

Many on the board have seen war from one angle only. Some here have seen it from every direction. Some have never seen it. There are times support can't be had and your on your own, no matter the price. It's in those places everyone comes to grip with self, gear, training, and faith. Gear, training, an events are always fore front when words are being typed out on screen.
Until we know where the posters comments are coming from, and can put a face and look into his eyes, it's hard to get a grip on his shoes and words.

This thread was about Marksman receiving a updated weapon, then went to a pissing contest a few pages later, on to a dick contest, and now just flat out in the shit'er.

Seems on one reads the whole post any more before jumping right in/on. Used to be common for everyone to read the whole post and look up guys past posts to try an get a feel where he was coming from, before flat footing a thread. That went out the window about later 2007 early 08. Why, don't know and don't care, but this is not AR15.Com

I'm done with this,...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Okay... I'm short on time, so the extent of my reply will be this...

When I need to know how to lay a road, clear obstacles or maybe demo a bridge... I'll give you a call.

You should defer small unit tactics, weapons employment, use of fires, precision fires and infantry tactics to those who actually ARE combat arms (infantry, scout, 18 series)...

In other words, you're arguing a point for which you have marginal experience and knowledge against persons (myself, gunfighter) who are/were SME's compared to a 12 series.

Blanks? LOL I haven't fired a blank in at least 5 or 6 years, maybe more (yes I am still in)

I'll touch on the rest when I have more time. </div></div>

Well I can understand why we don't shoot a lot of blanks these days, no time to train when we need to rotate troops in and out. During a peacetime Army though you will shoot a lot of blanks.

It has been taught in the Army that us Engineers do have high combat mortality rate. A 12B does not operate heavy equipment, usually he is right there with the the grunts. Don't think we Engineers are the only ones that do menial task such as pound poles and cut wire, if the obstacle is big enough the grunts will be right there pounding poles with us ahhahaah.

As a very junior Enlisted man, all I did was follow orders. I did not have time to talk about what weapons were cooler or how you fight wars, etc. Hell back when I was in, we used our free time to talk about cars, stereo systems, and girls. Guns and tactics were farthest from our minds. Only reason I am into guns now is because I can afford them and it's just another hobby.

I am glad to meet to meet all you Generals and people in charge of weapons procurement, and War Planners that we have here on Snipers Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems this will end as others have in the past, but before that happens,...

Many on the board have seen war from one angle only. Some here have seen it from every direction. Some have never seen it. There are times support can't be had and your on your own, no matter the price. It's in those places everyone comes to grip with self, gear, training, and faith. Gear, training, an events are always fore front when words are being typed out on screen.
Until we know where the posters comments are coming from, and can put a face and look into his eyes, it's hard to get a grip on his shoes and words.

This thread was about Marksman receiving a updated weapon, then went to a pissing contest a few pages later, on to a dick contest, and now just flat out in the shit'er.

Seems on one reads the whole post any more before jumping right in/on. Used to be common for everyone to read the whole post and look up guys past posts to try an get a feel where he was coming from, before flat footing a thread. That went out the window about later 2007 early 08. Why, don't know and don't care, but this is not AR15.Com

I'm done with this,... </div></div>

Well that's just how it is. I wrote a short topic on this. Tell me what you think.. here: http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,9140.0.html

For a battle rifle, I like the M-14 over the AR for all the reasons that Boston's Gun Bible rated it higher... it has a reciprocating bolt handle that engages positively in both directions; it has a gas piston system instead of direct impingement; it has the best iron sights ever designed for a battle rifle with great sight radius and 1 MOA clicks both windage and elevation at the rear sight; and it is ultimately just more reliable.

OK, I asked the question about the rifle if it was issue or tuned. I never thought anyone concealed anything just figured if it was at Perry it was probably a step above stock.

Gunfighter, I used a M14 on SWAT a few years but never carried a M14 in actual combat. I have used a M4 a bunch on SWAT and carried a M4 in war zones. I trained with an M14 for a couple of decades as an Across The Course system and did well enough in comps with one. Fairly well versued in both. Trained Armorer on M4s and that meant to be able to build from ground up whole systems not just change hand guards as some would think.

I read all the things about ARs versus M14s and fall on both sides at same time. Nothing like a 308 round making impact on a person compared to a 5.56. Now 5.56 with soft point or hollow point works great but 55-62 grain FMJ has less than impressed me ( would be glad to show a few the dash board I put ten 62's into and never reached the driver). 7.62 FMJ has worked fine.

The M14 as a DMR, which is what I see the EBR as ( 0-750 yards), is a darn good system. I am not saying its my favorite system but I would not even hesitate to take one to war. Far before I pick up an Armalite AR10 from the factory. Having been to Afghanistan and Iraq I would take the EBR over a 308 boltgun any day, for 0-750 yards. Nothing like the ability to put twenty rds quickly into 1.5 moa all day. Past 750 give me a bolt gun and make it 338 Lapua.

Now with that said give me a 5.56 18" SPR with 77 grain ammo, a MK4 M3 3.5-10 and I still feel great about my chances. Change to 62 grainers and I will snivel like a girl though.

Same with M110 and M118LR ammo ( Actual first pick because most experience with one) Give me one and I will be feeling like I got my pay check and will be able to spend it.

I have to ask this why is it if its not a persons number one pick it suddenly has to be crap?

I prefer Surgeon over Remington or Winchester but that does not mean there is anything wrong with them.

I think the main thing here is the EBR is just another weapon system made to fill a need.

Im tired of the arguing, the "discussion of semantics" and etc. Im not going to name or quote anyone because that only feeds the fire.

Honestly I would rather try to get back on topic. The successful implementation of the EBR in Afghanistan is great. Its a solid platform for what it is being used for with the void there currently is. The ranges have opened up in the last 8-9 years and its good to see a reliable system in the fight again. Regardless of logistics the .308 is what we need right now and without the EBR the pool of larger cal battle rifles is very shallow indeed.

Hopefully a system will be designed that will allow for this void to be filled with current technology but until then the EBR is there and can be a steady rock for our fellow brothers and sisters to use.

Has there been much feedback from the AOR from operators who've used the SCAR-17? Since it appears that the -17 will continue to be bought by the DOD even if the -16 has been cnx'd - I wonder if they are going fill the DMR role that the EBR's have been filling now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully a system will be designed that will allow for this void to be filled with current technology</div></div>

There are tons of 308 AR rifles out there that would fill that void just fine. LMT for instance.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, you, jhuskey, and limited others I take at face value.

Kenneth

That was some detour... I am glad to see this thread get back on track.

Actually I hate all you guys. LOL Now once the three kids are done with college I am adding one of these to build ( Another dream not happening soon. Some one tell me my kids will appreciate yet another sacrafice?)

One of my customers sent me an EBR/Sage stock to design some adapters for so he could run my slings on the stock with 1" sling mounts. Damm nice stock, except 1" sling mounts?. They have made many improvements to the EBR Stocks. Came out nice set up with real sling on it.

Gunfighter we are just the only ones left old enough to understand each other. Dont hit me just a little joke. I do appreciate the kind words and same to you.

PM @ Eric

What I got from this thread, is if your opinion differs from the elitists, you are either banned or threatened to be banned or accused of being a paid advertiser. I like coke so i must be paid by coke to say I like it. So if you think a modernized m14 is a good gun, you must be stupid, or paid to act stupid. Ban me I could care less. I wish I read this thread before signing up. I never would have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rattlesnake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I got from this thread, is if your opinion differs from the elitists, you are either banned or threatened to be banned or accused of being a paid advertiser. I like coke so i must be paid by coke to say I like it. So if you think a modernized m14 is a good gun, you must be stupid, or paid to act stupid. Ban me I could care less. I wish I read this thread before signing up. I never would have. </div></div>

Then leave-

I may disagree (some, very strongly) with people in this thread, but if <span style="text-decoration: underline">anyone's</span> opinion here makes you regret joining, you may be well suited to leave.

We are glad you are here - Stick around
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rattlesnake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I got from this thread, is if your opinion differs from the elitists, you are either banned or threatened to be banned or accused of being a paid advertiser. </div></div>

Were you threatened with being banned? Over what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBRbuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't recall anywhere in this thread that anyone said that the M14 would out-shoot a bolt gun. This is simply not the case and the reason we have the M24 and now the XM2010 and are working the requirments for the PSR, all bolt guns. Bolt guns and gas guns are used in different rolls and each have their strengths and weaknesses. This thread started out about the fielding of an upgraded M14 and turned into a battle of the egos. I have several of each platform and enjoy them all. </div></div>

Are there any additional changes or upgrades planned for the M14EBR-RI?

As we RESET the rifles that return from Theatre, we will add Pelican Cases and Eagle Drag Bags to the package. That will give us a secure way to ship the rifles to the troops and they will be able to stow the hard cases in their arms room or where ever and deploy with it in the Eagle drag bag. The Eagle drag bag has shoulder straps and is tougher than wood pecker lips and converts to a shooting mat.

Great -- more shit to get lost.

I'm not a fan of a weapon system not specifically assigned to a specific unit (with a commander responsible for the item by his command signature and sub-delegation) or an individual (ditto). Nobody responsible, the item is not taken care of and sooner or later it gets pilfered or cannibalized.

Assigning an item to "CENTCOM - Afghanistan Forward Loaner Weapons Pool" is nowhere near specific as a hand receipt with components list signed to "Specialist Doe, John S., 4762, all items present, signed 17 NOV 2010."

"If it ain't mine, I don't care" is universal at all levels. Pride of ownership is why crew chiefs have their names stenciled on the sides of aircraft -- it is HIS or his crew's bird, not the pilot who just drives the thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great -- more shit to get lost.

I'm not a fan of a weapon system not specifically assigned to a specific unit (with a commander responsible for the item by his command signature and sub-delegation) or an individual (ditto). Nobody responsible, the item is not taken care of and sooner or later it gets pilfered or cannibalized.

Assigning an item to "CENTCOM - Afghanistan Forward Loaner Weapons Pool" is nowhere near specific as a hand receipt with components list signed to "Specialist Doe, John S., 4762, all items present, signed 17 NOV 2010."

"If it ain't mine, I don't care" is universal at all levels. Pride of ownership is why crew chiefs have their names stenciled on the sides of aircraft -- it is HIS or his crew's bird, not the pilot who just drives the thing. </div></div>

Truth!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great -- more shit to get lost.

"If it ain't mine, I don't care" is universal at all levels. Pride of ownership is why crew chiefs have their names stenciled on the sides of aircraft -- it is HIS or his crew's bird, not the pilot who just drives the thing. </div></div>

Just look at all the shit that can get pilfered, cannibalized or lost.

Uploaded_634104957650970000_File.jpg

H2O no need to sling poop at another system to promote the EBR, that is problem you continually have.

The M110 is an excellent system.

What the Col. is saying is he does not like the way the EBR is going into the system with little tracking. I can tell you the M110 systems are tracked closely. It has nothing to do with whats in the box.

If you ever Redeployed to CONUS and had to turn in gear, you would know what an ass pain that is. F'rs make you account for most everything and if you lost your helment NVD mount its 18.00 on the spot before you get on Freedom Bus. Issued to you and you take charge of it. Loaner means anyone can f it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just look at all the shit that can get pilfered, cannibalized or lost.</div></div>

I don't know how things are today, but in SE Asia, thats a lot of crap to be discarded along the march route.

Get rid of that stuff and you can carry more water, ammo and socks.

I understand that a lot of that gear would be left in the rear, but in the old days, you got a ruck and kept what you wanted because you wouldn't see what you left "in the rear" until the end of your deployment and was sent home.

Wonder how you'd rig that contraption to a lowering line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Dam that's a fine looking weapon and set up. I think I would do my best to keep that safe. Put my name and the CO's name on everything to make sure it won't be lost. Which I think is the main point of sinister posts. Personal responsibility and taking pride in ownership of what is yours.

Kraig, a few things in that M110 hard box
buttstock mag carrier that is mandatory these days because on FOB you need magazine with you but out of weapon at all times
NVD, which has obvious uses
Cleaning kits for field and garrison
Scope and muzzle protecter
My sling ( cant help the obvious promotion sorry)
bipod
Mags
suppresor

Not sure what your going to dump but I want all of it in theater myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H2O no need to ...</div></div>

Tactical, it appears that you continually misunderstand what I say.

I am not slinging any mud.

H2O I love M14s and you make me itch. The guys who dislike M14s must really love you.

The idea of this thread, I thought, was to show how a need is being filled, not comparing systems?

Maybe its how you do things?

Tactical, I'm sure you mean well, but you seem to have missed all of the comparing of systems in this thread by the guys who dislike the M14.

If I had a picture of what TACOM-RI ships out after they RESET M14EBRs I would have posted it. The picture of the M110 seemed to illustrate the point made pretty well.

Hey folks, I hope none of you take my ramblings serious. I understand things change, this war is differant then my war, my war was differant then my father's, and his, his fathers.

The quote from Maj. F. Crum, King's Royal Rifles, in 1915.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came to the conclusion that experience of former wars, unless accompanied by adaptability, might prove to be a handicap rather then a help under the changed conditions.</div></div>

I wouldn't have traded my M16A1 for a Garand, as my father wouldnt trade his carbine for a Springfield, and I'm sure soldiers today wouldnt trade their M4s for an 'A1.

But I still like to discuss this stuff. I like "old stuff" thats why I've drifted toward the CMP GSM Games.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sixty-Five Pounds of Lightweight gear . . . . . . . .
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Lucky for you it's 65 lb of lightweight gear and not 65lb of heavy gear LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sixty-Five Pounds of Lightweight gear . . . . . . . .
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Lucky for you it's 65 lb of lightweight gear and not 65lb of heavy gear LOL </div></div>

What's so cool about the M110 case is you have to take the bipods off every time your done with it and everything that you have the cram inside it like the scope cover to make the case close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great -- more shit to get lost.

</div></div>

If thid does not show H2o's ties nothing does how funny is he just like a politition ask a pre loaded Question what extras will you give away with the rebuilds then it is answered and hey presto H2o has the pic aswell after it is answered what a load of shit H2O you have an alliance to the company. if you were honest about your ties even if you are only great friends that is OK but your blatant misrepresentation is there for everyone to see. All you seem to want to do is praise ONE company because you even state the other companies cant make them aswell as the company you seem to be pushing.

You have no objective comparisons just a blinded view and no one else could possible be correct.

So will you be at the Fall shooters Bash as invited by Frank?

Oh is that to hard of a Question but you can setup marketing questions for the company just like a politition and have the pic on standbuy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh is that to hard of a Question but you can setup marketing questions for the company just like a politition and have the pic on standbuy.

</div></div>

frown.gif
That's some Wild Bill Bull Shit right there.

The random image I used comes from a for sale add on another forum.
Try this: Search for 'M110 rifle kit' in Google IMAGES and see what pops up.

Wild_Bill, your flagrant dishonesty and false accusations against me are unbecoming and uncalled for.

Also, I honestly had know idea what the answer to my question would be when I posted it. Did you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild_Bill, your flagrant dishonesty and false accusations against me are unbecoming and uncalled for.</div></div>

Not to mention, Damn hard to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild_Bill, your flagrant dishonesty and false accusations against me are unbecoming and uncalled for.</div></div>

</div></div>

Ditto. Seriously... The kits that you get with the EBR are just as big if not bigger. It was just a random image. Simmer down there spunky.

Its getting to be a bit much especially when everyone else made the effort to try to take the topic back to where it needed to be.

ANYWAYS... back to the subject at hand... I was just thinking about this but for a typical DMR issue kit what is the average weight? I know the M110 is about 65lbs, but I also know that thats not including ammo.

Maybe someone can chime in but how much is a fully loaded 20rd M14 mag?

Maybe someone can chime in but how much is a fully loaded 20rd M14 mag? </div></div>

20 rounds of 168 gr TAP in a USGI mag = 1 lb 9.6 Oz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kraig, a few things in that M110 hard box
buttstock mag carrier that is mandatory these days because on FOB you need magazine with you but out of weapon at all times
NVD, which has obvious uses
Cleaning kits for field and garrison
Scope and muzzle protecter
My sling ( cant help the obvious promotion sorry)
bipod
Mags
suppresor

Not sure what your going to dump but I want all of it in theater myself </div></div>

buttstock mag carrier is not standard issue. If you're on a FOB and not a COP, you have no business carrying around a sniper rifle day to day on the FOB... if you're on a COP, mag stays in the weapon, so the need for a mag carrier just is not there. That is why your TOE provides each sniper with an M4 and M9.

NVD does not have a place inside the hard case either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just look at all the shit that can get pilfered, cannibalized or lost.</div></div>

I don't know how things are today, but in SE Asia, thats a lot of crap to be discarded along the march route.

Get rid of that stuff and you can carry more water, ammo and socks.

I understand that a lot of that gear would be left in the rear, but in the old days, you got a ruck and kept what you wanted because you wouldn't see what you left "in the rear" until the end of your deployment and was sent home.

Wonder how you'd rig that contraption to a lowering line. </div></div>

Alright I feel the need to dispel some stuff here- the box and ALL of it's contents are not intended to be taken "forward". Once the foot movement begins, you take what you need- which is the rifle, suppressor, the otis cleaning kit w/bore snake, the mags and the mag carriers and your spares kit. Possibly a drag bag or scope cover if it isn't your primary weapon. You rig it the same way as everything else- M1950 weapons case. Just because it is issued part and parcel with the weapon as a full system does not mean you must carry everything wherever the weapon goes. Reality is, this isn't THAT much more stuff than the M24- and what is additional are operation needs items; better cleaning equipment for use in the rear and mag holders.

The case and the large volume of cleaning equipment are for storage and range use "in the rear" wherever that may be. Everything is accountable, and everything is useful for it's intended role.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild_Bill, your flagrant dishonesty and false accusations against me are unbecoming and uncalled for.</div></div>

</div></div>

Ditto. Seriously... The kits that you get with the EBR are just as big if not bigger. It was just a random image. Simmer down there spunky.

Its getting to be a bit much especially when everyone else made the effort to try to take the topic back to where it needed to be.

ANYWAYS... back to the subject at hand... I was just thinking about this but for a typical DMR issue kit what is the average weight? I know the M110 is about 65lbs, but I also know that thats not including ammo.

Maybe someone can chime in but how much is a fully loaded 20rd M14 mag? </div></div>

I think a better question would be, what is the weight that they carry? weight of the kit includes all of the "nice to have" stuff that is just that, nice to have but not needed for mission use.

Rifle w/o mag: 16lb
4 20rd mags: 6.5lb
4 5rd mags: 2lb
supressor: 2lb
otis kit: 1lb
PVS-22/UNS: 3.4lb
PEQ15: 0.5lbs

So for the M110 as issued with standard items carried, you're looking at a load out weight of about 31.5 pounds. That is in addition to whatever else your standard load-out will be depending on role and mission, if the M110 is your main weapon or if you are required to carry an M4... variables are difficult to factor

Would be of value to contrast that against an M4:

7 30rd mags (assuming standard line infantry basic load): 9.8lbs
M4: 5.9lbs
ACOG: 0.6lbs
PEQ15: 0.5lbs
surefire: 0.5lbs
otis kit: 1lb

So assuming the M110 or M14 is a full replacement for an M4 and it's required load-out, you're looking at about 18.3lbs for an M4 w/ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever Redeployed to CONUS and had to turn in gear, you would know what an ass pain that is. F'rs make you account for most everything and if you lost your helment NVD mount its 18.00 on the spot before you get on Freedom Bus. Issued to you and you take charge of it. Loaner means anyone can f it up. </div></div>

Old,... I'll show my age now.

CQ runner says get your ass to CP your TDY,... OK, whats that mean?

Old man, get your gear an weapons so I can sign you out. Inspection right there including ammo load. Bird up an gone, new CO,..got everything you need, yep! OK, TDY over, bird back to unit,... new Old Man, Inspection son, wheres all your gear an ammo, well Sir,...Son you have 10 minutes to show me all the issue you left here with, yours or not,..big smile on his face, 10 minutes later we were square.

Back then the boots signed for everything, if the last guy hosed up a weapon or issue and the armor/supply took it back in that's their problem not yours' and the Old Man or First Shirt was standing beside you the whole way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great -- more shit to get lost.

</div></div>

If thid does not show H2o's ties nothing does how funny is he just like a politition ask a pre loaded Question what extras will you give away with the rebuilds then it is answered and hey presto H2o has the pic aswell after it is answered what a load of shit H2O you have an alliance to the company. if you were honest about your ties even if you are only great friends that is OK but your blatant misrepresentation is there for everyone to see. All you seem to want to do is praise ONE company because you even state the other companies cant make them aswell as the company you seem to be pushing.

You have no objective comparisons just a blinded view and no one else could possible be correct.

So will you be at the Fall shooters Bash as invited by Frank?

</div></div>

You know he's not gonna answer that question. I don't think its related to marketing, he just gets his rocks off by posting pics of his guns online and trying to piss people off, which he is doing to you.

Dude has already been banned from lightfighter, M4carbine and AR15.com, just ignore him.

What's wrong with posting pictures?

Some of us old farts have been out of the game for a while. I kind of like to see what's out there.

Don't know why we can't have a differance of opinions without getting in a pissing contest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh is that <span style="color: #FF0000">to </span>hard of a Question but you can <span style="color: #FF0000">setup </span>marketing questions for the company just like a <span style="color: #FF0000">politition </span>and have the pic on <span style="color: #FF0000">standbuy</span>.

</div></div>

Wild_Bill, your flagrant dishonesty and false accusations against me are unbecoming and uncalled for.

</div></div>

I don't know about flagrant dishonesty or false accusations..... but his spelling and grammar is terrible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with posting pictures?

Some of us old farts have been out of the game for a while. I kind of like to see what's out there.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know why we can't have a differance of opinions without getting in a pissing contest.</div></div>
+50

I have known H20man for awhile, never met him in person, but we both know the same people that we have met in person.

He is an OK guy in my book, only thing he is guilty of is loving M14-EBR's too dam much. Which I always call him out on
smile.gif

As a gun fan (which includes the M14), I love H20mans pictures!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have known H20man for awhile, never met him in person, but we both know the same people that we have met in person.

He is an OK guy in my book, only thing he is guilty of is loving M14-EBR's too dam much. Which I always call him out on
smile.gif

As a gun fan (which includes the M14), I love H20mans pictures!

</div></div>

cool.gif

grin.gif