• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Marlin 1895 CB

Kinsman

Slacker
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Dallas, Georgia
Range report:

Hurts my dammit shoulder....

40 gr IMR 4198
405 gr cast bullet
cci lrp
about 1700fps.

Hurts a lot more than my 14 lb .300 Win Mag.

I'm not sure if I hit anything or not.

My friend's birthday was last month, so I gave him a late gift.
Unfired Colt 1862 Pocket Police revolver. Yes, COLT.
He wanted to hug me, but I'm not that kind of guy.

Re: Marlin 1895 CB

Hey! I've got one of those....its a guide gun 45/70. Short barreled and kicks like hell but is amazingly accurate.

You dont have to hit anything with it....just hit close!(grin)

Love those .45-70's. I have a standard 22" and an LTD 24"

You'll probably get even more velocity out of the cowboy (26")

300gr Hornady at 2000fps
smile.gif

the faster more pointed hornady is the ticket for more speed and better trajectory...
a 300 gr. or so can be pushed pretty fast in these even a flat nosed can be really effective.. just learn the dope for the bullet and trajectory ... it is a really fine weapon and a little blast from the past.. I would suggest the 26 inch cowbow and a full complement of ammo in the tube below... and an additional pad and a sling to take up some recoil... then a little practice, and some trigger smoothing...it is on... anything you want to kill dies for this thing.. and it is fun to shoot big heavies for a change.
dk

This is the 26" "Cowboy"
I read an interesting article about a hunter in Africa who used the Cowboy on Cape Buffalo.
Shot through a bull and the cow standing next to it
Factory loads are loaded to be safe even in the old falling blocks.
Handloads can be pretty impressive.

I will have to install a butt pad, or get a PAST for my shoulder.

I shoot black powder loads in my other 45-70, single shot H&R. 500 gr cast over all the 2FF that I can pack under it. Beautiful stink....