• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin 880 options...

DavidBoren

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2021
Portland, Oregon
I have an 880SS, and I would like to see what I can do with it.

I know what the Boyd's laminate stocks, and the Wells G96 airsoft stock. I know about the RifleBasix trigger, although I just stuck the spring from a mechanical pencil in my factory trigger when I was like 13yo.

I'm interested in a 20-30moa scope rail that fits the action. I don't really like the dovetail grooves, and do not mind drilling/tapping the action to mount the rail.

Speaking of drilling and tapping, I want to add a rear action screw to help secure the action into the stock. Possibly use a longer screw in the front of the magazine well that goes through (and is pillar bedded in) the stock as a forward action screw...

Anyone know how difficult it would be to slap a CZ455 barrel on a Marlin 880? Or any other barrel, for that matter? Seems like any 22lr barrel with a shank that fits in the action could be pinned there just the same as the factory barrel... as long as it has the proper extractor cuts.

The firing pin plunger piece inside the rear bolt body is not centered, and this creates pressure/tension on the inside of the front bolt piece... it makes the bolt more difficult to operate than if that piece were to be straight. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it as easy a fix as taking that piece out and straightening/centering it? Any need or advantage to replacing the firing pin spring while I'm at it?

Reactions: Davo308
So how did it shoot way back when? Probably end up with the cost of a CZ or Tika by the time you do everything on your list.

OFG

Shot lights out 20 years ago. Had a Simmons 4x on it and could print all 7rnds in a magazine into one ragged hole @ 50m.

No sense in buying a new 22lr... I would rather see what I can do with what I got. If I was to purchase a new 22 rifle, what would become of my Marlin? I won this when I was 11yo at a daycamp hunter's education thingy, and would prefer to tinker with it more than buying something new.

Reactions: ZG47A
I have an 880 and a 980.

Neither are match rifles. They've killed tons of gophers and rabbits, rung plenty of steel, and been enjoyed.

They shoot very well for what they are.

I've never found 10 round mags, and I can't see shooting a match without them as it's generally the standard course of fire.

I have a Simmons that came off one of them. It's my reminder that when you buy cheap crappy scopes they don't last long.

Shot lights out 20 years ago. Had a Simmons 4x on it and could print all 7rnds in a magazine into one ragged hole @ 50m.

No sense in buying a new 22lr... I would rather see what I can do with what I got. If I was to purchase a new 22 rifle, what would become of my Marlin? I won this when I was 11yo at a daycamp hunter's education thingy, and would prefer to tinker with it more than buying something new.
If it shot that well, why change the barrel?

OFG

After seeing ~800rnds of American Eagle 38gr JHP every weekend for nearly a decade straight, it appears to have developed a glitch. I don't know...

One day it was shooting Lego men at 50m... one shot, one kill. At 100m, it could place all 7rns on a 2" diameter, 10" cast iron rod hanging from a chain. Then, suddenly, it could not. Even taking the scope out of the equation (it was still good at that time), iron sights were printing paper plate sized groups at 30m.

There is a shadow like 7" away from the muzzle, and I don't remember it being there before. Maybe a dud bullet failed to exit the barrel, got pushed out by the next shot? I don't know.

Maybe just needs a really good cleaning...?

Maybe it just needs a 10/22 barrel with the shank turned down?

After seeing ~800rnds of American Eagle 38gr JHP every weekend for nearly a decade straight, it appears to have developed a glitch. I don't know...

One day it was shooting Lego men at 50m... one shot, one kill. At 100m, it could place all 7rns on a 2" diameter, 10" cast iron rod hanging from a chain. Then, suddenly, it could not. Even taking the scope out of the equation (it was still good at that time), iron sights were printing paper plate sized groups at 30m.

There is a shadow like 7" away from the muzzle, and I don't remember it being there before. Maybe a dud bullet failed to exit the barrel, got pushed out by the next shot? I don't know.

Maybe just needs a really good cleaning...?

Maybe it just needs a 10/22 barrel with the shank turned down?
Really good cleaning would be a good place to start, especially the chamber - carbon ring removal. If that does not help, maybe a new barrel.

OFG

In the interest of keeping this project moving forward... I just ordered a DIP aluminum mag well (my plastic one is cracked) and their 25moa scope rail.

I will give her a good cleaning when I install those DIP parts.

Reactions: ZG47A
Thinking of picking up a mil/mil SWFA 10x for this.

Is there any reason that wouldn't be enough scope for 200-300m? It offers 40mil elevation adjustment, and will be sitting on a 25moa base.

I ran a SWFA 10X mil/mil on my 10/22 for some of the first precision rimfire matches I shot in and it did pretty good. The scope tracks well and you'll have plenty of elevation to dial out with that 25 MOA base, the only limiting factor might be spotting misses at longer range depending on the background.

SWFA makes a 12x and a 16x also if you want a little more magnification, I had the 16x on my Tikka for a while.

Mike

I have a 25N that I still use on occasion. Same trigger spring. It responded well to bedding.

I left the firing spring alone but I did add an aftermarket aluminum mag well.

Wolf mt and Winchester dynapoints are its favorites.

Thinking of picking up a mil/mil SWFA 10x for this.

Is there any reason that wouldn't be enough scope for 200-300m? It offers 40mil elevation adjustment, and will be sitting on a 25moa base.
I had an 880 with a SFWA 12x it and 25 moa base. Worked great out to 300 yards; with adjustment to go further. I would think the 10x would be fine. Other better (and more expensive) options exist of course.

Reactions: DavidBoren