• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Marlin XT-22R and XT-22VR

proBULLYDOG

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Arizona
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to bolt guns and precision shooting. I was in the market for 2 rifles. The Marlins hit the right price point in the budget. I would have liked to pick up a CZ but it wasn't feasible at this time with other gun projects going on. I managed to picked up a XT-22R for the wife(1st gun). I also and snagged a XT-22VR for myself. Locally the XT-22VR have been hard to come by and I just happened to swing by another shop on the way home and found one!

I have read on the Hide and some other forums about QC issues with some of these rifles. I looked both of mine over pretty good and I have no complaints. The barrels had a few tight spots with the dollar test. Nothing some sandpaper couldn't remedy on the VR. I choose to take the dremel to the XT-22R and angled the top of the stock slightly as seemed more logical after 10 minutes of sanding by hand. I think it came out alright.

Here is 2 pics of the dremel work on the XT-22R. Unfortunately I sold all my photo gear. So all I have is my iPhone for pics...

Also thanks to Top Predator. I used some of the techniques he used in the Low Budget 22 Trainer post he has going...

Re: Marlin XT-22R and XT-22VR

thanks for the plug, i was going to go the XT22vr for my next thing, but got some bonus $ from work and thought to splurg a bit on a CZ455 Sort of like my "rosebud"...i think i just found it a name...).

i'd do the pipe or socket + sandpaper thing to clean up those dremel marks a bit. if you go painting that thing, they will stick out like a sore thumb.

hopefully a range report is in the near future for your XT.

Nothing wrong with picking up something proven in the CZ. Nice Citizen Kane referenced nickname....

No problem on the plug. I gather a ton of great info from a lot of your postings. I did do some sanding with 400 through 800 grit paper with a pipe afterwards on the stock. If I knew I was keeping the stock I would not have dremeled it initially.

I plan on doing a range report very soon. I picked up the Centerpoint 4-16 x 40 today at Walmart. It will not fit on either the XT-22R or XT-22VR with the Weaver Medium Quadlock Rings. They are 2-4mm too short as the front objective hits. Looks like I need to see whats available at Cabela's and Sportman's tomorrow to do some shooting again this weekend.

I think it's too bad that recently the XT-22 has become a whipping boy.
I have a Savage 93FVSS that I've fitted with a Bushnell Elite scope, Caldwll bi-pod and some other odds and ends. Totals about $600 and shoots 1" groups (5 shot) at 100m (112 yds) fairly consistently (notice I don't say 'all day long ;-) '
I recently purchased 2 XT-22's for my sons. Threw an inexpensive Bushnell rimfire scope on each.
They're shooting 2-3" groups at 100m.
They're (my sons) 8 & 11 yrs old.
Man...I'd hate to see what they'd do with an expensive gun!