• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

marlin xt22

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
just got a whiff of this rifle from JOE MARTIN

marlin doesn't have anything on their site about it, but found some stuff here:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=mfg&mfg=Marlin

looks like there is a 22lr and a 17, in a whole lot of configurations. mag and tube fed, hardwood and plastic stocks, etc.

adjustable trigger

no pictures found yet, anyone seen any pictures or even better yet have or held one of these things?

is it just a warmed over 925?

Re: marlin xt22

did a little more snooping, looks like the "Freedom arms group" that owns remington and subsequently marlin, is the driving force.

can't find much of anything else on it, perhaps it's hush hush until the jan 18-21 2011 shot show.

but according to that site i posted above, it looks as if there is also a 22" bull barrel coming out. for 326.00 plus adjustable trigger and in a stainless model (xt22mvsr), with a 4 and 7 round mag, i'm thinking it would be tough to beat.

I'm hopeful that when we get our new supplier's catalogs at work for 2011 there will be some pictures of these. I'm kind of itching to try the bull barrel XT22, but my biggest concern is a 20 to 25 MOA scope base. I hope EGW or DIP gets going on this and gets something out on the market to compliment the release of this new line.

i'll tell you what, i'm a huge savage fan. but tinkering with my brother in law's model 25, it outshot my sproter barreled mkii f handily at both 50 and 100 yards with 3 different ammos.
Savage MKII F/G vs. Marlin 25/925 sporter barrel showdown Parts 1, 2, and 3

i could only suppose that the heavy barreled xt22 would do the same against a heavy barreled savage.

i've always like shooting marlin, and do most of my under deer size hunting with a marlin 22 mag., and i don't miss much with it or had any complaints.

if this xt22 does / will exist, it may be the solution for something better than a savage heavy barrel, yet less $ than a CZ.

i can picture a matte one sitting in a tacticool-like stock cradled in a haris bipod, with a DIP base, millet or burris rings, a mueller 8-32, millet TRS / buck gold, or a hawke sidewinder on top of it.

i think i just drooled on the keyboard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

if this xt22 does / will exist, it may be the solution for something better than a savage heavy barrel, yet less $ than a CZ.

i can picture a matte one sitting in a tacticool-like stock cradled in a haris bipod, with a DIP base, millet or burris rings, a mueller 8-32, millet TRS / buck gold, or a hawke sidewinder on top of it.

i think i just drooled on the keyboard.

</div></div>

You took the thoughts right out of my brain.

This will also save me a lot of work butchering up a 925 in combination with a 10/22 barrel to make a heavy barrel bolt gun.

Had those plans on the back burner for quite a while.

I have just sold my 308 and had plans on picking up a new .22. I think I will wait until this one hits the market first.

I have a Marlin XL7 and it's a good rifle. I have a Savage Mark II TR coming so I'm not in the market for another 22 LR but if it's as good as the XL7 it will be tempting.

The only one they are offering with a heavy barrel in 22lr is the model # 70835 XT-22VR.
Black synthetic stock, 22" heavy varmint barrel. Street price $180. I want to see a picture!

i wonder what kind of aftermarket stocks will be avaliable for these. Prices are looking good.

Warmed over 925~ That's exactly what it looks like.

I consider this to be a good thing. Ideally, this means a rifle basix will fit in it and also the rifle will fit in a boyds tactical stock. No waiting for companies to start making parts for upgrades. Having a Marlin heavy barrel 22 as a target option will be great for Marlin fans.

Anyway, the pic for those not wanting to search.

XT-22.jpg

I'm not so sure it is a true heavy barrel? The barrel seems to have a taper just like my 925 does - which I consider to be a semi heavy barrel. However, this may not be the picture of the heavy barrel XT22? Just an observation.

Joe, I didn't mean to imply that the picture represented the heavy barrel model (it is the standard). Just that it looks exactly like a 925 with an accu-trigger type trigger system. The heavy barrel model only comes with a synthetic stock. I posted earlier in this thread with the model number of the varmint version which can be looked up for more specs.

I wish they would have pictured a heavy barrel model. Kind of disappointing, I was hoping the heavy barrel model came with a wood stock as well.

Went to order a 22mag for a guy the other day and my vender is already carrying them in 22lr, 22wmr, and 17hmr. Nice to see the new trig carried over from the x7 series. They're priced right along side every comparable savage too. Weird thing is I can have one within 10 days if anyone wants one.

Thanks for the link. I think the VR looks great and the trigger should be good. I can get my Marlin XL7 30-06's trigger lighter than my Savage Mark II TR.

thanks joe, they must have just put that on the site as they were not on ther on dec. 27th...

liking the vr and msvr ALOT! (at least by looks)you can click on the picture and it will enlarge. appears to have a fat "beaver tail" styled forend on the stock and nifty texturing. if it shoots like the 925, i may have to put my cz 455

can't wait till the range reports start coming in, hopefully from folks that shoot further than 50 yards. if it shoots like the 925, with the usual added enhancments that an actual heavy barrel provides, i may have to put my cz 455 funds towards this beauty.

I like the looks of the XT22VR as well but I have some reservations on the molded swivel stud, and concerns that niether EGW or DIP has put forth a 20 to 25 MOA Scope Base Rail for the bolt action Marlin series of the past and now present. I bet we'll find these XT's are drilled and tapped in the same area on the new Receivers as they are on the old Receivers.

Regardless,,, I'm up for getting one when they hit the market. I heard we may be looking at March perhaps?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the looks of the XT22VR as well but I have some reservations on the molded swivel stud, and concerns that niether EGW or DIP has put forth a 20 to 25 MOA Scope Base Rail for the bolt action Marlin series of the past and now present. I bet we'll find these XT's are drilled and tapped in the same area on the new Receivers as they are on the old Receivers.

Regardless,,, I'm up for getting one when they hit the market. I heard we may be looking at March perhaps?
smile.gif
</div></div>

The rail for the 917 will fit the current marlin 22s.
http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=477

Thanks Chemist1, I did not know that. Then there is no alterations needed then for the EGW 917 rail to fit the 925 I take it?

No as long as marlin drilled the holes in your receiver inline with the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No as long as marlin drilled the holes in your receiver inline with the bore. </div></div>

Well, they did do that. I've been looking everywhere for a 20 to 25 MOA base that would fit my 925. I'll get one of these 20 MOA Bases ordered. Appriciate it!
smile.gif

I really like how they are going to release an extended line of tube fed guns...

No sissy little mags to lose! not to mention the capacity

"load on sunday and shoot all week"

Did I miss something or will the new xt22vr fit in the 917 Boyd's tactical stock. With pending bills I think I am going to have to get one of these instead of something more expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinbendur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I miss something or will the new xt22vr fit in the 917 Boyd's tactical stock. With pending bills I think I am going to have to get one of these instead of something more expensive. </div></div>

Provided the only change is the trigger, then yes it would. WooHoo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an idea on when we'll see these? </div></div>

They're shipping now, literally.

Some dealers, including Buds, have the base model in stock right now. (wood & sporter weight blued barrel in .22LR)

Marlin XT-22 IS NOW AVAILABLE, FOR ONLY $179!

That's great to hear. My phone rang a couple days ago, the caller ID showed it was the local gun shop where I put my order in for one of these. I felt like a kid on Christmas. He was calling to see if I had a specific go gauge. CRIPES! I was all set to pick a new toy and was gun-blocked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates on these? Still out of stock at Buds and a few other places I checked. </div></div>

I'm still waiting for my phone to ring. No biggie I guess, still waiting for DIP to get the bases done that were supposed to be ready a few months ago. It'll all come together at once hopefully. The rifle basix trigger is ready and the boyd stock is just a phone call away. Patience.

Heard a rumor these weren't going to happen. Anyone have an "in" to find out for sure. I'm hoping my source got bad info.

on the base or the rifle?

just came back from Cabela's, they have an XT there.

heavey barrel, wood stock - receiver is 925 (grooved and drilled / tapped with factory bases) - but the barrel is a true bull barrel, with recessed crown. i'm not 100% sure it has the same dimentions as the 925, but confident enough to believe a 925 base will fit.

for under $300 bucks with an adjustable trigger, i'm surprised there's not that much talk out there from owners of the actual rifle.

I bought the first XT22 base model I saw. Sporter barrel, birch stock. Fit and finish is very good,iron sights are junk. I got the proper Weaver scope bases and mounted a Bushnell 4-12X40. I also polished up the internals of the ProFire trigger, and bolt. So far the rifle is shooting dime size groups at 50 yards from a bipod and rear bag from a shakey bench. I can't complain to much about that...
007-11.jpg

The base I have.

I had called to have the gun shop check on my order and he got back to me yesterday. He had made some calls and was told due to the poor quality of the rifles coming out of the new plant they may quit these and possibly all Marlins. It seems ridiculous and impossible that's why I wanted to know. He usually knows what he's talking about so I wanted a sanity check. I'm glad to see they have some somewhere and hopefully I get mine. I was also unaware they were making a wood stocked heavy barrel XT in 22lr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was also unaware they were making a wood stocked heavy barrel XT in 22lr.</div></div>

geeze for the life of me i can't remember 100% if it was .22lr or .17hmr, looking at the marlin website, there is no .22 wood bull barrel, but a .17 wood bull barrel. it must have been a .17hmr.

i didn't see it as a POS (at least cosmetically). since remington now owns them, i hope the safeties work
laugh.gif

Any update on these? My local dealer says he hasn't even seen them at distributors yet. They were supposed to be released in SPRING?!!
eek.gif

last night i was gander mtn, they had 3 models of xt there - xt 17v (heavy barrel 17 hmr with wood), xt22yr (youth) and a xt22. after a decent looking over, i didn't notice anything that would stand out as a defect, but i couldn't take them apart either.

sitting next to their savage counterparts, they seemed to be a better value - the xt17v was priced at $249 (heavy barrel 17 hmr with wood, adj. trigger) and the savage 93r17f also at $249 but with a sporter barrel and syn stock, usually those specs cost less.

they seemed to be of a better looking rifle with the metal work (less "rimfirey" cheap). as with the model 25 and 925, their version of a sporter barrel was much heavier than the savage for the same price on the xt22 models. the blueing was a bit more black, shiney, and seemed more like a paint on the xt barrels as compared to a more satin appearance on the savages. neither of the finishes i found attractive as the xt finish looks somewhat cheap, and the savages finish looks already worn or "faded", if you will. the heavy barreled xt version had a nice rececsed crown, and it appears they kept the dovetailed to the barrel front stock mounting lug as the 925.

the youth xt22yr had a syn stock on it, it looks like marlin / remington addressed the usual checkering found on most rimfire syn stocks by making it more textured and had a sako feel about it. can't wait to see / feel it on a full sized model, and especially the VR model.

the bottom metal and trigger gaurds on the xt looked much nicer than on the savages, as did the flat stock mounting screws (front one had a beefy allen wrench head) extended tang (slightly different than older marlins) on the rear of the receiver, and the rounded ejection port of the marlins of the past. barrel to receiver fit seemed smoother than the savages both on the heavy and sporter barreled models. the xt receiver also carried over the dual dovetail / drilled and tapped for bases option. the 17vr barrel had no open sights - smooth barrel throughout.

there is a recent post from a guy that got one that had a misaligned barrel or dovetail cut in it. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716697#Post2716697 it might be one of those things that slip through as we've all seen defects get through the system and hit the market place. i didn't notice any major defects with the 3 in hand.

other than the savage BV and other laminated stocks there the xt plain wood stock seemed to have a nicer uniform finish through it as compared to the savage plain wood stocks. cutouts for the safety, bolt, rear tang and striker head also seem to be not so overdone as the savage (with the mkii you can actually see the bottom of the receiver and trigger mech.). i think a cutout or a bevel for the ejection port would have been a nicer touch on the xt stock, as it doesn't have one, but the stock to receiver fit seemed better overall, along with a nicer recessed bottom metal, and magazine release.

looks as if range reports are few and far betwwen still, obviously as there are still not enough of the xt line in people's hands - yet.

here's about all i can find:
http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=7197

a good look at the trigger group
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398551

yet another xt experience today at a smallbore silhouette shoot...xt22rz....threaded sporter barrel.

the stock felt great (sounded cheezy though when tapped), much more ergonomic that the usual synthetic stock from a rimfire maunfacturer. hint of a palm swell, felt beefy and secure in the hand. the texture on the grip not only looked good, but felt good too.

got to shoot about 10 rounds out of it, the trigger was nice, and didn't feel as clumbsy or "catchy" as the accutrigger. i couldn't get a good read on how accurate, was just shooting steel at 100 yards, no group to report.

so far as aesthetics go, it's was a VERY nice rifle for a reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on these? My local dealer says he hasn't even seen them at distributors yet. They were supposed to be released in SPRING?!!
eek.gif
</div></div>

I have come to realize that the firearm and optic industry are just like a woman. NEVER ON TIME!!!

Well, got a phone call today I wasn't expecting. Gun shop fella says; you remember that gun you ordered? Of course. Do you still want it? YEP! So, from the Kentucky plant comes my new XT-22VR. The distributor received 13. I ran over after church and picked it up. I was shot down by the boss for some range time today but should be able to get out on Wednesday and put some rounds through it. I'm a little bummed about the trigger. I was hoping it would be compatible with the old ones but it doesn't look like it will be. I put the DIP base on and threw a temporary scope on so I can shoot it. Here is a quick pic:

IMG_2463.jpg

When I get some targets fired on, I'll post some more pictures.

great!!

there's been some evidence that the QC at marlin / marlington / remlin has allowed some stuff out the door that shouldn't have, even for a lower priced rifle.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2967410#Post2967410

notice any any wierd things like stock mounting bolts off center, barrel crooked to reciever, crooked magazine, etc.?

how's that beavertailed stock feel?

in regards to the trigger, how does it feel? iguess it goes down to 3lbs, is it adjustable for creep and overtravel?

depending on what santa brings me for christmas (hopefully gift cards at my "toy store", i may be picking one of these up for $205.00

Everything is on center, bolts, barrel, bottom metal, ect. The forearm is fine, I don't know about the built in sling studs but I guess the Harris still mounts fine so that's all that matters. The trigger has been reworked a bit since I posted above. I polished all the internal surfaces and all the parts that ride them. I un-lawyered the trigger by removing the center portion. The weight is decent and it breaks crisp but there is some creep (more than I'd like). The trigger at the sear has to move about 30 thou before it breaks. I think I've read before about guys fabbing a shim for that but I'll have to dig around the web a bit since I cant remember. I didn't adjust the pull weight at all, it's in a good spot for now which is surprising for a factory rifle.

The only questionable QC thing that I see is the cut out for the bolt close area. It looks as if it were cut out to far forward and recut but not all the way to the bottom so there is a step there. I'm wondering if it should be cut the rest of the way. Not going all the way to the bottom causes the striker cam not to line up with the deepest part of the cocking notch. It does however fire so maybe not a big deal. I'll snap a picture of what I'm talking about.