• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Marpat camo attempt

Hoodlum

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
Tennessee
I am fond of the marpat woodland digital as far as looks go... I have been debating an attempt at matching as close as possible, and since it's icy/cold outside, I thought today was adequate for some indoor projects....Realizing I can't match the digital pattern without the use of a template, I decided to get me a sponge and give it a shot that way....
I started off with an old abused NE arms 22lr that I squirrel hunt with that needed something on it to help hide spots where the blue had worn off. Started with a base of nutmeg, followed by a few stripes of hunter green... I then used the sponge to blend the green, and then sponged a bit of the nutmeg over the green stripes... I followed up by sponging on some black, finished off with a spot or 2 of kaki.
Here are the results....

photo 1 (1).jpgphoto 2 (1).jpg

After the practice, I decided to do a Choate stock I have on a savage 10 .223... I couldn't bring myself to paint the whole gun like the 22, mainly because it's in such great shape, but it still looks much better than it did before.....

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

I think I need to add a bit more black, but the beauty of it is, it's really easy to add color... Just sponge it on...
Hoodlum

I actually like the effect you got with the sponge..... not a huge fan of the digital, but I think your attempt blends better the the original

when applying the paint with the sponge were you using a spray paint or liquid type paint? if you used a spray type how did you soak it up with the sponge?

when applying the paint with the sponge were you using a spray paint or liquid type paint? if you used a spray type how did you soak it up with the sponge?

I just used a small plastic plate... I sprayed a puddle of paint on the plate and then dabbed the sponge in it....