• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Masterpiece Arms vs American Rifle Company

My vote would be for ARC as well. I own a MPA PMR PRO II, and am just not super impressed. It shoots well, but the cerakote is chipping and the bolt DLC started coming off in less than 200 rounds. Had another issue with the chamber and they went radio silent. For the price it’s still a great rifle, but maybe my expectations were just higher.
I went full send on an arc cdg. Ill figure out what barrel and chassis are getting matched to it once things settle out a bit more.

Reactions: notacos4u
My vote would be for ARC as well. I own a MPA PMR PRO II, and am just not super impressed. It shoots well, but the cerakote is chipping and the bolt DLC started coming off in less than 200 rounds. Had another issue with the chamber and they went radio silent. For the price it’s still a great rifle, but maybe my expectations were just higher.
They’ve been pretty responsive to my emails (MPA). But… there’s the new coup de grace which has my attention. Problem is, I have to wait for the full rifle build, or buy in pieces and that’s probably going to set me back +$500.

Pre CDG, it was MPA vs ARC at the same price, now it’s MPA vs ARC +$500.

Appreciate the real world experience. Back on the fence. :)

Reactions: kindabitey
They’ve been pretty responsive to my emails (MPA). But… there’s the new coup de grace which has my attention. Problem is, I have to wait for the full rifle build, or buy in pieces and that’s probably going to set me back +$500.

I have no dog in the fight, having not owned either, but I do have a Bighorn TL3($900) with a proof carbon ($600), a TT special ($150), KRG X-Ray($400), and hellfire match muzzle break($160)… all in $2210 buying through the PX within the past year and it shoots better than I do. Now could I have paid an additional $800 for one of the other chassis? Sure, but then again, I could still knock a couple $$$ off that by buying through the PX.

my next build will be a CDG, as I have just preordered 2 of them. I know I’ll have to buy a new barrel for them, but everything else, I’ll continue bargain shopping for…. Oh and the CDG, is on preorder for $895, so I’m actually starting out ahead, already… For an ARC, you don’t have to be $3000 + an additional $500 if you go that route…

and if you absolutely don‘t need to have it right now, I’d spend my time shooting what you have during the year, go to matches, see if you can handle and play with some other shooter’s equipment, and then make a more educated decision on what you like and want, vs. strangers opinions, and wait till Black Friday and get just about everything you want, at a substantial discount….

Reactions: RushT
Well dang it.… just couldn’t pass up the new CDG so went ahead and ordered it. Now I have a scope and an action. Need a barrel, rings, trigger, and chassis now. Looks like I probably have 2 months to figure that out.

Where would you guys place a Lothar Walther barrel when compared to Proof (non carbon), Bartlein, etc.

Well dang it.… just couldn’t pass up the new CDG so went ahead and ordered it. Now I have a scope and an action. Need a barrel, rings, trigger, and chassis now. Looks like I probably have 2 months to figure that out.

Where would you guys place a Lothar Walther barrel when compared to Proof (non carbon), Bartlein, etc.
Wouldn’t make the list.

If it was me, I would go to Bugholes site and order a cut rifled barrel that's to your specs in stock and drop ship it your gunsmith of choice.

Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, Hawkhill would be the brands on my radar.

A decent selection of options currently in stock at Bugholes.

Reactions: padfoot 37
That’s a litte high I think.

Imapct 1200
Bartlien Prefit $700
TT Special $175
MPA Chasis (used here on PX) $800-ish
Muzzle Brake $200-ish

$3100-ish
Where you get impact for 1200

Asking for a friend ..

To get back on topic, we live in a great time where we have lots of options. Everyone has opinions but none of the options here are 'avoid'. Pick what makes you happy and you'll have a great rifle. After taking a class, I found I prefer a thumb rest, does that mean not having a thumb rest is 'bad'? Nope, it's just what I like.

Ask yourself
What bolt throw do I want.
What handle?
Pinned rail?
Trigger hanger?
Easy bolt face change?
Etc...

Asking for a friend ..

To get back on topic, we live in a great time where we have lots of options. Everyone has opinions but none of the options here are 'avoid'. Pick what makes you happy and you'll have a great rifle. After taking a class, I found I prefer a thumb rest, does that mean not having a thumb rest is 'bad'? Nope, it's just what I like.

Ask yourself
What handle?
Pinned rail?
Trigger hanger?
Easy bolt face change?
Etc...
Right!? I keep pricing peoples suggestions and keep getting way higher than estimated. By all means, if someone has links please share. That said, its hard for newer shooters to know which of these are preference and which are actually better and why and for what purpose. Seems like everything has a strength and weakness and without lots of time on like $20k worth of different actions i dont know if i could say which i prefer. So i think ill take a cdg and just be happy with it.

If you wanted to go the CDG and a prefit route, I think you'd be close the cost of the MPA without the headaches.

CDG- 899.00
PVA prefit 685.00
Xylo chassis 1099.00 new 750.00- 900.00 used.
TT special 200
muzzle brake 200-250.00
All new, 3083.00 + S/H
MPA Matrix PMR Pro 3000.00 + S/H and who TF knows when you'll get it

Asking for a friend ..

Ask yourself
What handle?
Pinned rail?
Trigger hanger?
Easy bolt face change?
Etc...

Here in the Px, and now that i think about it, it was actually $1100.

Right!? I keep pricing peoples suggestions and keep getting way higher than estimated. By all means, if someone has links please share. That said, its hard for newer shooters to know which of these are preference and which are actually better and why and for what purpose. Seems like everything has a strength and weakness and without lots of time on like $20k worth of different actions i dont know if i could say which i prefer. So i think ill take a cdg and just be happy with it.

I’ve built the he majority of my builds using parts I’ve found here in The Hide Px or in the LRH PX. Also euro optic demo / used page.

Impacts, muzzle brakes, TT triggers, all my optics (NF, Khales, TT) a surgeon 591, and multiple Chasis / stocks.

Obviously barrels are new but still great deals with vendors here.

If you want to order new and pay full price than that’s your deal. Be patient enough and you’ll get deals here.

Reactions: kthomas
If you wanted to go the CDG and a prefit route, I think you'd be close the cost of the MPA without the headaches.

CDG- 899.00
PVA prefit 685.00
Xylo chassis 1099.00 new 750.00- 900.00 used.
TT special 200
muzzle brake 200-250.00
All new, 3083.00 + S/H
MPA Matrix PMR Pro 3000.00 + S/H and who TF knows when you'll get it
Cdg?

Some new action everyone is hyped over for the next few weeks.

A lot of hype perhaps, but it's offering something no other action to market recently has.

It's unique/innovative, feature rich and at a low cost of $899. Much different than another take on a push feed R700 at ~$1400.

It's not going to be for everyone, but it's pretty refreshing to actually see something new and innovative in this space at an extremely competitive price.

I have 3 rifles built on Origins with proof Prefits. Here’s a couple groups they laid down during lord development. Ones a 20” 308 running 185gn Juggerbauts and 44 gns Varget. The other is a 24” 7RM running 180 hybrids and 69gns of 4831SC

View attachment 8063515

View attachment 8063517

View attachment 8063518

View attachment 8063519

They shoot plus a the number of features and ou get with the Origin (ie Prefits and Caliber swaps via bolt heads) puts it heads and shoulders above and MPA build. I do like their Chasis though.

Grab a Viper or SAC Barrel Vise and a Zermatt Orgin Action wrench or one of SAC’s modular action wrenches and you’re gtg
Hey, where those 22" Bartlein CF groups?

• Haha
Reactions: Eurodriver
Couple de Grace from ARC. Bighorn Origin was sort of 'the goto' for 'budget' builds. Now the CDG comes along with all the same features, plus a few more (integral rail, lug, Arcimedes style extraction) at the same price....

'Budget' often has negative connotations, but in this case it's a full feature, custom action, that any top shooter could crush with. (Both of them) I loosely quote from Frank's podcast in the context of all the different action choices before CDG came out: 'just get an Origin'.

Is either one gonna be the limiting factor? Nope.

Reactions: HogsLife
Hey, where those 22" Bartlein CF groups?

This is the 20” Proof 308. no load development. 44gn Varget, 185 Jugg .020 off and that what it did. I’m happy with that

BAF6A033-B6C5-42A3-A074-C8F9177290A5.jpeg

Reactions: FredHammer
A lot of hype perhaps, but it's offering something no other action to market recently has.

It's unique/innovative, feature rich and at a low cost of $899. Much different than another take on a push feed R700 at ~$1400.

It's not going to be for everyone, but it's pretty refreshing to actually see something new and innovative in this space at an extremely competitive price.
Ted is like the rockstars that won't charge more than $20 a ticket in order for the awesomeness to abide by all!

How long is the wait? How long have they been in regular guys’ hands? Any real world reviews yet? (ie didn’t get it for free or paid review)

• Haha

Lothar Walther is one of the barrels that are good enough for Accuracy International to put them on their factory rifles.... They make great barrels.

How long is the wait? How long have they been in regular guys’ hands? Any real world reviews yet? (ie didn’t get it for free or paid review)
Sure the proof is in the pudding. I certainly won't disagree with that.

But ARC makes excellent products, they have a great track record. I wouldn't be concerned, personally.

Again, this action isn't for everyone. But it's a refreshing change from what we normally see in the action market.

Who knows, no time at all, not really

It’s an intro preorder… it’s not reasonable for any of those questions to have an answer at this point

Lothar Walther is one of the barrels that are good enough for Accuracy International to put them on their factory rifles.... They make great barrels.
I have one in one of my AR builds, though that’s probably not the best platform for assessing long range quality.

Sure the proof is in the pudding. I certainly won't disagree with that.

But ARC makes excellent products, they have a great track record. I wouldn't be concerned, personally.

Again, this action isn't for everyone. But it's a refreshing change from what we normally see in the action market.
Who do you think is/will be the main purchase group of the CDG? Competitors or hunters?

Who do you think is/will be the main purchase group of the CDG? Competitors or hunters?

Both. Integral rail, integral recoil lug, and changeable bolt heads for $899? Plus 338 LM capability? really
Makes you wonder why you’d need anything else. Gotta Hand it to ARC for pushing the envelope in both technology/features and at a great price.

Both. Integral rail, integral recoil lug, and changeable bolt heads for $899? Plus 338 LM capability? really
Makes you wonder why you’d need anything else. Gotta Hand it to ARC for pushing the envelope in both technology/features and at a great price.
I'm trying not to get emotional about this Stanley! :ROFLMAO:

Who knows, no time at all, not really

It’s an intro preorder… it’s not reasonable for any of those questions to have an answer at this point

I just don’t see the need to get hyped over something one can’t even buy, and has zero independent reviews.

Consider me burned too often by gun companies over promising and under delivering.

On paper, it sounds pretty sweet though.

I just don’t see the need to get hyped over something one can’t even buy, and has zero independent reviews.

Consider me burned too often by gun companies over promising and under delivering.

I like to fuck around and find out, so I'll let you know if I made a hyped up uninformed decision, or I am really good at knowing what's gonna be sweet AF.

If it were any other company, I would 100% agree. We're talking about a company that doesn't follow the usual path. Do a little checking, and you'll
find that ARC doesn't sponsor anyone or give anything away. Even Caylen W. has had to pay for his ARC receivers.

I like to fuck around and find out, so I'll let you know if I made a hyped up uninformed decision, or I am really good at knowing what's gonna be sweet AF.
Yeah, its not like this is my one rifle and ill be empty handed if it doesnt shoot. I also firmly believe ted will make it right if there is something wrong. Now jsut to make a wise decision on a barrel.

I would be more concerned if it was coming from an unproven company.

I can see why people are excited about it. But I also don't think it's a bad thing to let other people test things out before jumping in.

Reactions: LR1845
I would be more concerned if it was coming from an unproven company.

I can see why people are excited about it. But I also don't think it's a bad thing to let other people test things out before jumping in.
Once I didn't know ARC shit from Shinola. So I got a Nucleus Gen 2. Yeah, I'll try out a CDG. :D

Once I didn't know ARC shit from Shinola. So I got a Nucleus Gen 2. Yeah, I'll try out a CDG. :D
Yeah, i get peoples concern on new stuff cuz ive been bitten before by claims made by companies who when their product didnt meet their claims i was just told i was doing it wrong. I really dont see that happening here, from what ive seen in videos and his involvment on forums ted has alot of integrity, restored some faith in humanity for me actually. I really like supporting an all american company with pride in their products. Why i own a few emerson knives also. You know it will work. And if it doesnt, they will fix it cuz they care about its design more than i do probably.

My M5 Mausingfield, which happens to be my comp gun (when I shoot them), is one of my absolute favorite actions. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, it would be my favorite action.

Reliable in even the shittiest conditions, and shoots amazingly well. Love the features. Extremely well designed and made. ARC makes great actions.

If it were any other company, I would 100% agree. We're talking about a company that doesn't follow the usual path. Do a little checking, and you'll
find that ARC doesn't sponsor anyone or give anything away. Even Caylen W. has had to pay for his ARC receivers.

I agree. When the reviews are absent on a new product, I look to the company and their past products / CS.

I don’t think we’re gonna have a problem with ARC over promising and under delivering

My M5 Mausingfield, which happens to be my comp gun (when I shoot them), is one of my absolute favorite actions. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, it would be my favorite action.

Reliable in even the shittiest conditions, and shoots amazingly well. Love the features. Extremely well designed and made. ARC makes great actions.
My wallet didn't need to hear this...

I loved my Surgeon and Impact. Beautiful actions. but all 3 of my rifles currently are running Origins. With the features of that action I just can’t justify the additional $600 for less features. The one downfall is the inability to run LM bolt face.

That’s where this new ARC comes in… and with the integral features. No brainer

And the list grows…. Scope and rings are sitting in the library, trigger arrives today, waiting on action and Xylo to ship, waiting on brake to ship, and the last piece (barrel) has been ordered. Now we wait. More that is.

And the list grows…. Scope and rings are sitting in the library, trigger arrives today, waiting on action and Xylo to ship, waiting on brake to ship, and the last piece (barrel) has been ordered. Now we wait. More that is.
Yup, me too, got a pile of stuff waiting.

MPA runs Curtis and for that reason they’ll never get a second look from me.

Reactions: S3th and LR1845
He’s also played with a preproduction CDG and given it a review.

Reactions: kindabitey
I agree. When the reviews are absent on a new product, I look to the company and their past products / CS.

I don’t think we’re gonna have a problem with ARC over promising and under delivering

Umm, remember those messed up ARC magazines from a few years back that were giving guys trouble, the Nucleus action needing a stronger firing pin spring after widespread light strikes, the poor level design/placement on the newer M-Brace mounts, and the Mausingfield had teething issues too…

I wish you guys the best of luck with the CDG actions, but I haven’t been an earlier adopter of most gun stuff since getting 3 fucked up Glock Gen4’s in a row back when they first came out, and IIRC Glock had/has a pretty good reputation for shit working.

Since then I only strayed from that path once, with an MPX, and got screwed again, because we all know how fucking Sig operates (using customers as the real beta testers lol).

IMHO the issue with being an early adopter of ARC stuff is they seem to do their testing (or lack of testing) a little too much like SIG, and that's no bueno.

I don't have a lot of MPA stuff, just a couple of mounts that have been great, but I'm pretty sure Phil from MPA can outshoot everyone in this thread and may have even been your RO at a match without you even knowing who he was (happened to me)... so you can't say their shit isn't real-world tested to be legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightning8