• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Masterpiece Arms

Judster

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
Germantown TN
Looking for review or opinion on the Masterpiece Arms Pro Comp and/or their BA Rifle. I have been shooting PR for about 6 months now including a class at K & M. I am currently shooting a older AI AX AISC in 6.5 I am borrowing from a friend.
I understand glass is more important but looking for your thoughts on the rifle.

I have a Masterpiece Arms 6.5 PRC Hybrid Hunter with Proof Carbon barrel. I love the chassis and the rifle is well built. Shoots better than I can. Never had any issue with any part of the rifle. Great package.

I don’t have an MPA built rifle but do use their BA Comp chassis. MPA uses I believe the Curtis Axiom action for their builds and is quite a nice action with a fairly light bolt light for a 3 Lug action and has prefits available. The chassis is hands down the most comfortable chassis I’ve shot, I actually hated chassis before shooting a mates MPA and then ordered one that day.

I bought the 6.5ba almost 2yrs ago, and it has been fantastic. Mine came with the Curtis action, and a triggertech. Back then, my FFL sold it to me for just a fuzz over $2,500. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat.

Reactions: DreaminofMT6X6s
saying glass is more important is very far from the truth

you have to be comfortable.

i like the feel of MPA but haven't ever been a fan of their machine quality

they use a dumbed down axiom action

if the chassis is comfortable for you and fits the budget then it's not a bad place to start i guess. i'd look at the new GA production gun but that's just me

Reactions: swampbuck
I have the 6.5BA, it is a tack driver, my own loads 140 ELD M, consistent 5 shot 0.25 MOA at 100, the only rifle that I could not finsh a load work-up at 100 yards, shot too good, had to move to 200yd to see a difference. I have had light strikes, was common with the early Axiom, they replaced my striker group, haven't been back out to see if the problem is gone. The plastic magpul mags need to be sanded slightly to get perfect feeding, I haven't tried metal ones. I never sanded my magpul mags, failed to feed once on a while.

I'm not sure how it is a "dumb down axiom", it appears from all apsects to be identical to the advertised Axiom.

The question is how much accuracy vs cost you want. My Tikka 6.5 CTR is a solid 5 shot 1/2 MOA rifle, at less than 1/3 the price of the MPA. I bought the Tikka after my MPA, so in hind sight, I likely would have not bought the MPA, the Tikka is good enough for my purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
I have the 6.5BA, it is a tack driver, my own loads 140 ELD M, consistent 5 shot 0.25 MOA at 100, the only rifle that I could not finsh a load work-up at 100 yards, shot too good, had to move to 200yd to see a difference. I have had light strikes, was common with the early Axiom, they replaced my striker group, haven't been back out to see if the problem is gone. The plastic magpul mags need to be sanded slightly to get perfect feeding, I haven't tried metal ones. I never sanded my magpul mags, failed to feed once on a while.

I'm not sure how it is a "dumb down axiom", it appears from all apsects to be identical to the advertised Axiom.

The question is how much accuracy vs cost you want. My Tikka 6.5 CTR is a solid 5 shot 1/2 MOA rifle, at less than 1/3 the price of the MPA. I bought the Tikka after my MPA, so in hind sight, I likely would have not bought the MPA, the Tikka is good enough for my purposes.
coating and fluting are missing

Reactions: FLguy55
coating and fluting are missing
I think you're talking about their production class rifle, yes, that has less action features. The standard BA that I bought is a full blown axiom.

DLC Coated and Fluted

20200702_140037.jpg20200702_140054.jpg

Reactions: b6graham
I have the MPA PMR with the X-cal M24 barrel with match chamber in 6.5. that chamber is eff'in tight. I just shot 2830 avg yesterday with 40grn of 4350 and mag primers in Starline brass. hornday brass was giving me the same speed at 41.1. lol!

I like the rifle but ive had ejection and stuck case issues. they have already sent me a new extractor and ejector. it has fixed the problem about 70% better. my original spring on my extractor was about .100" shorter (less spring pressure). I had to debur and polish the channel for the extractor bc it didnt move freely.

I assume there has been issues since they recently started to sell spare extractor and ejector parts on their site... and at a premium id add.

mine is in the hybrid chassis with an M24 profile and if sneeze hard enough I can contact the barrel to the chassis. the BA chassis have more clearance in the channel than the hybrid.

I have about 800rnds into mine and the DLC coating is hurting pretty bad on the bolt. not a huge deal but just didnt last long.

for a 3 lug and overall build its hard to beat for the money but im already eyeing a new build over the winter with a full BA chassis, ARC action. I love 3 lug but have a bad taste in my mouth from Curtis right now. Ive lost a lot of time on stages from FTE's on the line and having to drop the mag to clear the case.

the stuck cases I believe were a carbon ring issue and a sizing shitty brass issue. and have since slowed down since changing a few things. that chamber is tight!!

I bought a used hard BA Lite from a PRS pro. Dropped in my 700, set it up to my liking and went to the range. Big improvement over my old "Pig Sticker" XLR Element. Needed a couple of new set screws for the riser and called MPA. Got the screws, spigot and new action screws in 2 days. Thanks LISA at MPA. Service was great and fast! Impressed me so much I just purchased another MPA Comp Chassis with weight kit for my new custom build.

Been super happy with my MPA Ba 6.5 chamber is tight but damn its a shooter. 1/4 groups at 100 are no prob with this thing.

Like someone said above load development was hard cuz at 100 everything shot so small lol
I had to.go.to 200 as well to fine tune my load.

40.6 gr of h4350 in lapua brass
Cci br4 primer
140eld match in my 24" barrel I'm getting 2760fps

Reactions: ruebarb
Been using an MPA BA Comp Chassis w Curtis Axiom for 1.5 years now and love it!! Will actually be working on a second build in the next 9 months, carbon copy of my other rifle.

My 6.5BA is one of the most accurate and consistent rifles I own. If a chassis gun is what you prefer, it doesn't leave anything on the table to any other rifle.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I’ve been running one of their BA comp chassis for 3 years and I love it. I think chassis are very subjective. It’s a quality product and I feel like it fits me well. Also their customer service is stellar if you ever have a problem. Phil has taken home quite a bit of hardware this year Shooting in the production division. Basically I can recommend the product and the company as being great. If the chassis is right for you is up for you to decide.

This is great to hear. I have one on order Hybrid Hunter and I’m wondering if the chassis is going to be my thing. A new stock is 3 months to build so ill shoot the chassis first at least