• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match Grade 300 Win Mag Bullets

Samwize

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2010
Heber City, UT
Forgive the "newbie" post here but I am just getting into reloading and I have a 300 win mag AI that I want to reload my own rounds. I have been able to find almost everything that I need on MidwayUSA.com but I haven't been able to find the actual bullets. I am looking for match grade rounds to use but I have no idea where they can be purchased. I have looked on GunBroker, midwayusa and other similar sites with no luck.

thanks for the advise!

Jason

Re: Match Grade 300 Win Mag Bullets

300WM uses .308 caliber bullets. I would suggest something in the 208/210 grn area like the Hornady 208 AMAX. Better BCs than the standard 190 bullets and can be pushed near as fast.

Also you might want to read the sticky posts at the top of the main reloading page. They will give you some good info to help getting started into reloading.

Thanks Rob01,

Great advise! Ill see what I can find on those Hornady 208 AMAXs that you mentioned.

Jason

208 Amax's are very hard to come by right now. Get some 210 Berger, JLK's or SMK's. Do your load development and when 208's become available they should come *close* to plugging in.

I shot some 210 JLK's this weekend. They shoot about 50 fps slower than the 208's with the same load and about 2/3's the group size at 100 yds. I'm taking some of these out to 500, 1000 and 1500 this week to see how they do. They're pricey, $50 + shipping/125, and you have to order 3-4 months ahead, but so far they really shoot.

John

+1 on the 208gn A-maxs even the 210gn Berger bullets.and as one has already said had to go to the Berger bullets because of the hard to get A-maxs.

Best long range bullets for a 300wm are, 208gr a-max, 210 Berger vld and, 220gr sierra match king.

Since I can't find the 208gr a-max in stock anywhere, I've been shooting the 220gr smk.

Since all guns are differant, and like us, have differant likes and dislikes, you need to try as many differant bullets as you can and try them.

I've tried a lot of bullets, but for my 1000 yard Model 70, I keep coming back to the 200 SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all guns are differant, and like us, have differant likes and dislikes, you need to try as many differant bullets as you can and try them.

I've tried a lot of bullets, but for my 1000 yard Model 70, I keep coming back to the 200 SMK. </div></div>

I agree with what you said about bullets and rifles. This being said, I've never seen a rifle that shot the 200 SMK poorly. I'm not sure what it is about that bullet, but everyone I know that shoots them gets phenomenal accuracy.

John

With the SMK's I like the 210 better than the 200 or the 220. Mine shoots it great. It might have the highest BC of them too. I'd have to check on that though.

Great advise, I really appreciate it. As I go through and start collecting everything I need to start reloading, I am having a hard time finding the dies that I need. My primary firearm that I will be reloading is a AI 300 win mag, and I am looking for match grade, high quality die set, but I really don't know where to go from here.

Most likely, I will be purchasing a RCBS single stage reloader.

Thank for the great advise once again, I love this community.

For dies if money is easy to get, get a set of redding comp dies.

I would try a few places for the 208 amax as they are very good for the price. Midwayusa, Cabelas, Midsouth, natchez, someone has to have them in stock.

Brass is easy get lapua or winchester.

You may also want to look into a redding single stage, as in the BOSS as it has a larger frame opening and should give you more room to work with magnum cases and long bullets. I have a rcbs and it is a pia sometimes with the 300 and long bullets

Also check a few recently published reloading manuals( I lkie the hodgdon and hornady books) for up to date printed black and white data.

Lastly the rifle of choice is an excellent tool, the 300wm is a great cartridge that has shown me alot over the years. Good Luck and happy shooting.

I think I found the dies that you mentioned here: MIDWAY USA

Also, thank you for the suggestion on the press, I would have even known that until I started reloading.

After reading the beginners post on this forum, watching the different YouTube videos I have my wish list ready at MidwayUSA. Its definitely expensive to get into, but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

Here is what I have so far: WishList. Let me know if I have the equipment needed to load match grade ammo for a my 300 win mag. Am I missing anything?

I see you have treated corn cob and treated walnut in your cart. Ditch one of those, I've been using the walnut and its held up for quite awhile...if its the green stuff however I'd get something different.

Look for Berger 210 VLD and Sierra 210 SMK if the Hornady 208 Amax is out of stock. The $93 Competition .223 Seater die looks out of place in your cart. You are missing a Sizing die for the .300WM...I suggest a full length sizing die or a neck sizing die AND body die. Redding makes a body die for the .300WM.

Also, if you check out the Redding Big Boss II, I think it has an integrated priming tool...you wouldn't need the hand primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Samwize</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing anything? </div></div>

I'll get flamed for this but the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die is awesome. Cheap. Works the brass less. And it's cheap! I get less than .0005" runout on my loaded rounds and I use that cheapo die! Then you could just get the Comp. seater die, since you already have the body die (that's what I use too).

My shooting partner has the RCBS hand priming tool and likes my Lee Auto Prime a LOT better. The hand tool gives you a LOT more feel over seating than the press mounted version.

John

Ok, thanks guys for all the advise. You have no idea how much help this is.

Ive updated the wish list, how does it look?

Am I missing anything?

EXPENSIVE, I do not want to crap on your list, BUT contradicting my earlier post.
If it were me doing it again Look into the package deals by rcbs,lyman or redding, They may not have exactly what you want but can easily save you some money. Also if you dont like a certain product sell it as many are always looking. I would try this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=897117 or this rcbs one http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599 it is a good press just takes a little more caution when placing the case into the shell holder with a long bullet as you must tilt them sideways to get them where they need to go. I looked into the specs and stand corrected on the boss by redding as I was remembering a different model press rcbs +4 inch redding is 4.5 opening. The rcbs kit has the basics, which are great to learn on, I like the redding case trimmer better than a rcbs but opinions very. I have looked at your wish list and suggest unless you have deep pockets(I dont as I am ad military) that you can easily get into loading for a lot less by staying with hand prep work( eliminate the poower trimmer, and prep station as you get a better feel for each case by doing it by hand and 300wm brass is too much to throw away do to screw ups. I would also stick with a normal beam scale( you may wishto use electronic later but you will always want a beam scale just in case. I think just using a normal scale, prep tools that come in the kit and the trimmer in the kit you can save around $650 and with a 300wm you really are not looking at prepping 1000 cases at a time( Well maybe according to some on the internet) You may also check into the frankfort arsenal brand of products(midwayusa house brand) as they are very nice and they make many usefuls tools( calipers, reloading bloacks, tumblers etc)
May also want these dies to start with as the real comp dies are getting very pricey http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=341655

I would also attempt to get my primers(you have cci200 in your wish list may want to research as almost all loads in a 300 call for a MAGNUM primer CCI 250's work for me) and powders locally ( yes support the local guy, who knows they may have a partial box of bullets you wish to try that didnt get the desired results from their rifles) until I know what I am sticking with, ( primers and powders are specific to each rifle, go small quantity at first to test each before dropping alot on an 8lb keg that may just sit with a small portion used, Open kegs are almost impossible to part with! Sometimes it is easier to pay an extra dollar or 2 a lb locally to just test with. May also want to look into the Hodgdon extreme powder line if you go from one temp extreme to another as they seem to work well in my loadings. I would also check into 2 dial Calipers as you will probably want a bullet comparator for overall length at ogive and it is just easier to have an added set already set up for this procedure. Also if getting digital make sure you get extra batteries (you never need them until Sunday evening when everything is closed) Another tool that you will want is a flash hole deburring tool and a large rifle primer pocket uniformer ( very useful tools that are about 10-15 each, I use lyman as I am cheap but they work well for me. You also NEED a set of check weights again I use lyman they are nice and come in a nice case so they dont get lost

If not on a budget Then get what you want and I would definately order a sinclair wish book as they have about every cool tool available

sorry for the rant but I have BDE SDNCO tonight and had some time to kill Good luck

For the actual bullets, I would suggest trying Midway, Graf and sons, Powder Valley, Connecticut tactical, Weidners, Russ Haydon's shooters supply, Bruno shooters supply, E. Arthur Brown Co.

It really does pay off to shop around for prices as they vary wildly. Some vendors almost always have the lowest price on one brand. I suspect that they get some deal from the manufacturer.

Lapua bullet deals are usually found at Connecticut firearms, Powder Valley, or E. Arthur brown, Sierra bullets at Midway, Powder valley.

I have had great customer service from all the companies I mentioned, hence my recommendation. One company even broke up a set of Bench Rest dies for me because the only one I needed was the bullet seating die...that was WAY beyond what I would have expected. When they told me all they had was the set, I said I would have to wait for the seating die only...they they said, they would break up the set and charge me the same as if they had the seating die alone in stock. Pretty cool.

@MLH29 - Thank you so much for taking the time to make that wish list. It was very helpful.

On a side note - I'd like to start a new fund for the "Jason's Reloading Equipment" Foundation. Maybe if I set it up as a religious or non-profit - I can get some kind of discount.

hahaahha,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Im going to search for a lot of here locally at KSL.com and see what I can find used.