• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Match grade barrels for AR-15 under $300

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey fellow 'hide members. I'm building another AR up, and it's time for me to make a decision on a barrel. Due to budget constraints, I'd like to spend under $300, although I could go SLIGHTLY over if it was warranted. I'm looking for opinions about the manufacturers I have in mind, or if I'm missing any that I SHOULD be looking at please let me know. Here are the ones I'm currently looking at:

-Black Hole Weaponry

-White Oak Armament

-McGowen Precision

I've also heard that Rainier's barrels are decent, but not sure if they really fall into the same class as the above manufacturers? They also seem to be a bit pricy.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Match grade barrels for AR-15 under $300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've also heard that Rainier's barrels are decent, but not sure if they really fall into the same class as the above manufacturers? They also seem to be a bit pricy.

</div></div>

I think the Rainier Arms barrels are finished by WOA. The Match barrels are Wilson blanks, and the Ultramatch barrels are Shilen blanks. Barrel contours might be slightly different compared to WOA's own offerings.

I have the Ultramatch barrels in a couple of different calibers (including .223), and both are very accurate.

People dont believe me when I tell them, but i've got a SS 20" 8 twist fluted bbl from M1S wearing a miculek comp and clark CF FF that puts the shitiest cheapest bronze bear ammo into .5 MOA groups.

I've got pics to prove it with target verified by long standing hide members.

That being said I have had GREAT luck with -White Oak Armament.
I built a rig using a mid-length gas system and it's just over 16.5" w/a 7 twist using their SS .223 bbl. I have held 3" groups at 500 yards with it prone in near perfect conditions with me on a good day.

Ultramatch barrels are outstanding, have used in several builds and very accurate.

I don't have experience with the others, but I can definitely vouch for WOA. A great piece that has served me well.

I have heard great thing about WOA.

Thanks for the advice so far. BCP - I'm thinking 20 or 24" barrel - haven't decided yet. Definitely a heavy barrel. The weight isn't so much of an issue, it will be mostly a target rig.

I also took a look at the prices on the Lothar Walther barrels from SunDevil. Seems like a pretty good price. I really like that I can get a matched bolt and carrier with the barrel for $350. Does anyone know how crucial to the headspacing it is to get a matched bolt with the barrel?

My WOA 20 incher is an absolute tack driver. I'll be getting another WOA when this one is shot out.

That lothar-walther deal sounds pretty good.

I would call them and ask what the contour is (barrel thickness under the handguards vs. gas block), what threads it has, if it's 100% chambered and why it costs 100$ to add a bolt to your order. Bolt should be 50$ tops.

WOA 18" SPR would be next off-the-top-of-my-head pick. Good all-around barrel and readily available.

edit: what sort of bullets will you shoot most often?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think the extra $100 is for an entire BCG, which would be a great price. If it's just for the bolt, that wouldn't be so great.

Rumor has that these guys are who supply BCM with their stuff.
http://criterionbarrels.com/ProductPages/AR15.html
I bought their barrel from these guys. http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfa20nmhbarss1x8plainmuzzle.aspx
Their customer service is great. Got a head-spaced bolt with the barrel for an additional $60.00.

Here is Criterion's Bio."Criterion Barrels, Inc. was started in 1999 from Krieger Barrels, Inc. in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality match grade barrels at a lower cost. Initially began as a division of Krieger, Criterion is now a sister company- independent, yet sharing resources and continual support.

Over 30 years of experience and expertise go into every Criterion barrel. This experience combined with gun barrel quality steels, our stringent inspections at every process, and Criterion employees' commitment to quality make a Criterion barrel the best choice for your next barrel."

The build is not yet completed so I can't make any statements yet as to the accuracy but their guns with these barrels are advertised as sub-moa, http://www.fulton-armory.com/fariflecal556mmupruniversalprecisionrifle-3-2-2-3-1.aspx

I'm happy with WOA...I have them on 2 of my AR style rifles. One in 308 (18") and the other in 223 (16").

I called Sun Devil and BCP was correct, it's $100 extra for JUST a bolt! Also, their barrels are on backorder, and could take as long as 9 months to get in. They're out.

It's on their website too:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sundevilmfg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" custom heavy barrel, 1-8 twist, Stainless Steel, 223 Wylde chamber
20" custom heavy barrel, same as above with matched chrome bolt
349.95</div></div>

These guys sell a bolt that is stronger than normal, by virtue of the design and the material (9310 steel). They are $85.
P3200007_ezr2.JPG

http://ar15performance.com/bolts__carriers_and_parts

I think it is worth more than a bolt that is just chromed, even if they cost the same, which of course they don't. I have mine on the way, haven't got it yet.

Looking around it looks like (to me) the best deal on a 20" barrel is the white oak service rifle one. Website lists it as 210$ not sure about stock status though.

The 18" douglas Fulton has for 300$ looks good to me.

Too bad Rainier has no more of their 225$ match barrels as the 16" I have is proving to be a very good shooter. Really likes TAC and 75BTHP hornady.

edit: I'm not into stronger bolts as I've never had a problem with mil spec ones.

I've had great luck with WOA. Three barrels from them so far, all have been shooters. I shoot CMP and NRA Highpower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psalms 23 Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rumor has that these guys are who supply BCM with their stuff.
http://criterionbarrels.com/ProductPages/AR15.html
I bought their barrel from these guys. http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfa20nmhbarss1x8plainmuzzle.aspx
Their customer service is great. Got a head-spaced bolt with the barrel for an additional $60.00.

Here is Criterion's Bio."Criterion Barrels, Inc. was started in 1999 from Krieger Barrels, Inc. in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality match grade barrels at a lower cost. Initially began as a division of Krieger, Criterion is now a sister company- independent, yet sharing resources and continual support.

Over 30 years of experience and expertise go into every Criterion barrel. This experience combined with gun barrel quality steels, our stringent inspections at every process, and Criterion employees' commitment to quality make a Criterion barrel the best choice for your next barrel."

The build is not yet completed so I can't make any statements yet as to the accuracy but their guns with these barrels are advertised as sub-moa, http://www.fulton-armory.com/fariflecal556mmupruniversalprecisionrifle-3-2-2-3-1.aspx </div></div>

That would explain why when I posted about break in procedure for my BCM SS410 barrel a BCM Rep responded with a link to Kriegers website on the page for krieger SS barrel break in procedure...

Get a WOA barrel...

I got an 18" 1:8 last fall it was around $300 I think. It is the most accurate barrel I have ever had on an AR-15.

I was very pleased with the ability to call and talk to someone when I had questions on choosing a new barrel. They helped out quite a bit.

Thanks for all the input guys. After reading all the responses, it seemed that WOA had the most +1's, with no bad experiences. I just ordered a 20" Varmint barrel from them!