• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MATEN build barrel

icetraxx

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
So I've finally have some funds available to complete my MATEN build. Right now I have a Matched MATEN NIB upper and lower. I'm torn between at 6.5cm barrel and a .308. Main use will be plinking at the range. I am looking at a 20-22" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I am building a big brother to a MEGA AR that I built. Is the match ammo selection out there for the 6.5cm as it is for the .308. I'm not going to be reloading any time soon which is why I am leaning toward the .308. Ideas and opinions?

6.5 has good match ammo at a very good price...Hornady factory ammo in both 120 amax and 140 amax. Additionally, it seems that some of the high end loading shops (copper creek etc) are now putting out 6.5 as well. with 6.5 continually increasing in popularity, the situation should improve further. however, you'll be hard pressed to find a cartridge that competes in terms of ammo cost and availability as the 308. i'd not let the ammo question determine your build. ammo cost and availability are both good, so let other, possibly more important, factors determine your build.

I put together a MATEN in .308 last year and just love it. Put an 18" BHW barrel in it and couldn't be happier. Five shot groups as good as .66" with 168gr FGMM at 100yards. Working on some 178gr BTHP loads now to take it out to 1000yards.

If your main use is just for plinking at the range then I believe you should go with a .308. Cheaper ammo for sure for that purpose. Especially if you reload.

And then do what I plan to do and just shoot the snot out of it. Then when its fried, you can always rebarrel it an other caliber like 6.5 or .260 if your needs/wants change.

Last edited:
I agree with Chem, go 6.5. It is cheaper than factory match .308 ammo and destroys it on the range. Great, flat shooting round for anything from target shooting to hunting. Less recoil and uses the same large frame AR parts. I wish my .260 was 6.5CM based on cost of factory ammo alone.

Appreciate the replies. I was leaning toward the 6.5 do to the reasons cobracutter stated. I was just unsure of the availability/popularity of the 6.5 ammo. I didn't want to build a 6.5cm and then have to reload for match grade type ammo. Thanks I'll post pics when I get it finished!

x3 on the creedmoor. You can get match ammo for $1-$1.20 / rd, and you can sell the once fired brass for about 40-50c/piece. I'm sure at $40/100 pieces of brass it wouldn't last a day on the for sale section here.

Who all makes quality creedmoor barrels I'm building a match maten myself and want a cm but can t decide on a barrel maker that won't rip out my pocket book

only the dead have seen the end of war

I'm kinda leaning toward a JP barrel. It is a little pricey but it comes with a headspaced bolt. If you back out the price of the bolt the price is around what I have been seeing at other sites. I have seen several people that will build them but you have to call or email them first.

I'm kinda leaning toward a JP barrel. It is a little pricey but it comes with a headspaced bolt. If you back out the price of the bolt the price is around what I have been seeing at other sites. I have seen several people that will build them but you have to call or email them first.

I went with the JP barrel kit for my 260 remington build. Should be in in the next couple of days. They get great write ups here.

The jp is the one I looked into myself just can't pull the trigger on that barrel for that money I know it would be worth it

only the dead have seen the end of war