• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser 24/48 build

Shiftyk5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2021
Missouri
So I was given a Mauser 24/48 action from my mentor at work. We are going to build identical guns together. He tasked me with finding the barrels.

We will be chambering in 25-06 AI. We need them short chambered so we can finish them ourselves.
They will be 26”-30” very heavy contour of some type, single shot bench guns.

So who would you all recommend to use for the profile and short chamber job for the Mauser action?

Looking for moderate price. Hopefully I can be under $600 per barrel.
And also any advice on rebarreling and old Mauser action from those that have done it.

Last edited:
So I was given a Mauser 24/48 action from my mentor at work.
There's the M48, and there's the M24/47 (M24's re-arsenaled in 1947).
The M48's were post-war, domestically (Yugoslavia) produced and are usually in very good/arsenal condition.
Both are intermediate length actions.
The Yugo's utilized a "safety breech" which- if used on the rebarrel- would require a smith to make the extractor cut.
You need to confirm before ordering- I would eliminate the safety breech and just do it like a flat-breech 98K to simplify things/eliminate the extractor cut.

If you didn't need the AI, Brownell's has .25-06 short-chambered in stock.
Others like McGowen, Pac-Nor etc. offer "pre-fits", but I'm unsure whether they're short-shouldered/fully chambered (which would require a lathe to headspace) or short-chambered.

Reactions: Shiftyk5
There's the M48, and there's the M24/47 (M24's re-arsenaled in 1947).
The M48's were post-war, domestically (Yugoslavia) produced and are usually in very good/arsenal condition.
Both are intermediate length actions.
The Yugo's utilized a "safety breech" which- if used on the rebarrel- would require a smith to make the extractor cut.
You need to confirm before ordering- I would eliminate the safety breech and just do it like a flat-breech 98K to simplify things/eliminate the extractor cut.

If you didn't need the AI, Brownell's has .25-06 short-chambered in stock.
Others like McGowen, Pac-Nor etc. offer "pre-fits", but I'm unsure whether they're short-shouldered/fully chambered (which would require a lathe to headspace) or short-chambered.
Ty, I’ll try to confirm which one I have when I get home.