• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mauser 98 30-06 sporter

Texasshooter30

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
My dad and I have been shooting this rifle for years now. Having said that,
we havent shot it in about 11 years. I decided to restock it and clean it up. My gun skills are a lot better now than than.

My "GO - NO GO gauges" both close in the bolt????????????

what do we think guys?

Re: Mauser 98 30-06 sporter

The go gauge should close perfectly, the no-go should only close partway, usually while trying to turn the handle down, you should meet some resistance--do NOT force it. If both close then the headspace is too "loose." It may not be an issue but it could also cause some problems with blowback.

Does it close on a field? If so its not safe to shoot.

Its suprising to many folks how often a bolt will close on a no-go. Thats why the field gage exists. Its also known as a reject gage. Look for primer issues and carbon marking on the front of the brass too. Lots of higher mileage rifles will close on a no-go, no reason to panic.

I dont own a field gauge, maybe in the near future,
chances are we will still be shooting this rifle this up coming season.

Take the firing pin assembly out and close the bolt on the guage. How much does the bolt move fore and aft?

Is accuracy tapering off? I have a rifle that closes on no go and not field that shoots well, but it's tappering off. Time to set it back correct.

OK, I attempted to bend the bolt of this gun and bent the bolt body out of round. I ordered one of these.
http://e-sarcoinc.com/98mauserstraightbodystirppedbolt.aspx

what do you think the chances are that it fits with the head space gauges? Most mausers where 8mm but someone converted this one into 30-06. I am sure they used the same bolt for the conversion to 3006 so I am hoping that the bullet base is the same size of the two rounds.

Well, so no one responded just FYI, this rifle had both the Go and NOGO gauges close in the bolt. But, this is a heavily fired rifle and has never done us wrong.
I ordered the bolt i posted above and it was perfect, the go gauge closes and the no go gauge does not and the base of the 30-06 fit the 8mm bolt perfect.

whoray for my side.

Use Bolt bending blocks to forge the bolt handle and use a heat sink and heat paste or wet rags. I ruined a bolt body when I was 16 in ag class bending the bolt handle of an old Brazillian mis match.
Probably a hundred since with no more phuq ups.