• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maven or Toric and why....

Myrradah

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
So I have come down to a Tract Toric 4.5 x 30 or a maven 5-30 for ELR shooting.

The major difference i have seen in reviews is the Maven is slightly better clarity but the toric has been color.

the other difference I noticed is the tract has 30 mil Elevation and the Maven has 23 which could play a role when I start shooting 1 mile or more - one day in the far off distance I can actually find a damn range.

Anyways, Price difference is minimal - both around$1600 right now with the holidays.

Is my thinking right here? Im leaning towards tract due to the elevation adjustment over the maven even though it has reportedly better clarity (slightly and opinion based im sure) over the tract while as the tract has better color. Im curious about the eye boxes - what are they like at 25x - 30x. Which is easier to deal with. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have no experience with either of those scopes, but with a budget of $1600 I’m looking for something in the PX.

Any scope worth buying is worth buying used.

Reactions: rothgyr
I have had both. Neither is still with me.

Concur on the Maven being nicer to look through. The glass was excellent. I liked it being toolless and the dual illum color. It was surprisingly compact in length, though the 56mm bell had a larger OD than even a Premier. My main issue was parallax adjustment. It was always a difficult, slick knob to turn and get settled just right. It bothered me enough I sent it back to get it checked out. Came back with a clean bill of health, but it functioned the same. I wasn't wild on the reticle just as a matter of preference, though the design is smart/functional.

On the Tract, I really enjoyed the reticle alot. Reminiscent of the MR4. The locking turrets were kind of like a TARS and very tactile. On mine, the glass looked average to my eyes. Mirage smoked it most summer days. It was solid on all functions, and I liked the reticle...but the total package just didn't do it for me.

All that said, they both punch above their weight class IMO. Price to value, both are excellent. I'll probably own Maven binoculars and a Tract 4-20 in the future. Probably wouldn't select either for ELR.

I agree with Minnesota - $1600 is prime PX territory. I'd be looking at a Razor HD II, NX8 MIL-XT, k624i, T6Xi, XTR Pro maybe, etc.

I had the RS.4 for a bit, and it was a great scope. I loved the tooless turrets. Size was great. Looked awesome. I will agree that the parallax knob was stiff, but by and large most scopes under $2k seem to have stiff turrets, in my opinion. I got rid of it due to reticle preferences. I have a hard time picking out .6 and .8 at low power, and I just kept getting lost. I prefer the JVCR, Mil-XT, and SCR2 nowadays. Glass was pretty darn nice, and the eyepiece was very well designed.

If you are shooting ELR you should be looking at the Tract 4-25 and not the 4.5-30. The 4-25 has 47 mils of elevation and 25x is more than enough to shoot ELR.

I had the Tract ELR 4.5-30 and liked the scope. Glass was good but the turret gets pretty tall when unlocked. I really liked the reticle a lot! The Tract 4-20 has gotten mixed reviews and the 4.5-30 is a better scope all around. The 4-25 is on par with the 4.5-30 from all reports and where I would look if I were you for your uses.

Reactions: Harman117
30 mils isn’t going to be enough for ELR either, the difference of 7 mils (actually 3.5 when you divide it in half) can be a difference 100 yards or less depending on what you consider ELR and what you’re shooting.

I don’t have any real experience with them (yet), but the Zeiss LRP’s are on sale for a little more and have a lot more travel than either of those options and are OEM’d at the same place. I ordered a 4-25 to try out and will probably order another or a 6-36 before the sale is over if it doesn’t suck.