• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision MAWL pricing increases! Seriously, can we get some more options?

RKM556

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2021
Athens, GA
Many have probably heard, but the MAWLs and other BE Meyers products are increasing in price effective the 1st of 2022. The MAWLs are great. I got in early and paid
2400 bucks for a very early EC2 when Weapons Outfitters had a sale. That was worth it!

But 3k+?? Geeeez. That is really expensive and getting much harder to justify.

Are there any prospects for new lasers that we maybe haven’t heard much of?

The RaidXE civilian will be okay, but there’s almost no chance of it being as good as the MAWL as it has focusable illumination.

The CTF-1 is cool, and extremely affordable, but uses LED illum and has a few limiting design characteristics.

These are the new options that I have seen but I do not know if there are more. I can’t keep paying 3k/gun for a Mawl, that’s just honestly not feasable.

Not to mention the fact that the MAWL is heavy-ish and has awkward ergonomics for some uses (Sig Rattler for one)

Perst. Look up 9 hole reviews IR laser on YouTube and watch. Very enlightening.
For sure. I’ve used the Perst 3 and 4 quite a bit. Only thing is that they are technically full power units (and Russian). They are quite nice though and are significantly better than the atpial c, DBAL, etc

For sure. I’ve used the Perst 3 and 4 quite a bit. Only thing is that they are technically full power units (and Russian). They are quite nice though and are significantly better than the atpial c, DBAL, etc
if you're concerned about not using full power units, then the only units that can handle optical barriers as well as the perst series or other full power units are the LED based ones: DBAL-D2, Surefire Vampire heads, etc. Any of the laser based illuminators have the same issue that even if they aren't a beam, the rules strictly limit maximum output power *before* it enters a diffuser

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Are there any prospects for new lasers that we maybe haven’t heard much of?

The RaidXE civilian will be okay, but there’s almost no chance of it being as good as the MAWL as it has focusable illumination.
Well, the Taliban might be running some cheap specials on some "high powah" lasers Buck Fiden gave them. :mad:

Many would say a high power unit with a focusable Illuminator is preferred over a MAWL.

Well, the Taliban might be running some cheap specials on some "high powah" lasers Buck Fiden gave them. :mad:

Many would say a high power unit with a focusable Illuminator is preferred over a MAWL.
Has anyone reached out to any of the Americans that Biden left behind to see if they can buy any of the gear that Milley left behind, would be a great group buy.

Perst. Look up 9 hole reviews IR laser on YouTube and watch. Very enlightening.
They look very good and powerful, wonder how they hold up .Do they send them back to Russia for warranty work.

Has anyone reached out to any of the Americans that Biden left behind to see if they can buy any of the gear that Milley left behind, would be a great group buy.
They too busy trying to stay alive right now. :mad:

Gotta remember what the process is for adding the M2 to the registry after you find it In grandpa’s attic.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Gotta remember what the process is for adding the M2 to the registry after you find it In grandpa’s attic.
There isn't one.
Come with me, and you'll see, a wooooorld of ITAR vioiations....

but seriously, don't do that, the pentalties for ITAR violations are nearly as bad as an unregistered MG

Prices for all Steiner items are going up significantly as well on the 1st. I'm getting with a bunch of my dealers and placing a significant order on the 31st. Dealer pricing on FP DBALs for LEOs have doubled in the past 6 months

There isn't one.

Well yes and no. If there is any paperwork on it, there's there's decent chance you can get it added to the registry. Oftentimes bring-back paperwork or IRS registration can qualify it, with the right lawyer. The law states that it had to be "legally possessed" before may 1986. Which technically would include all military machineguns if we had a good government

If only we could have brought stuff back!!! A warehouse I found in Taji, Iraq, this is only part of the warehouse/part of the pile.
2017-08-24_09-14-05.jpg

Otal/holosun/CQBL with dual lead switch and KIJI $1200ish and is same as mawl in performance with shittier ergos hard to beat budget wise or perst 3

The MAWL is a chunk too. With some design issues included.

MAWL (Mega Ass Weapon Laser) :LOL:

What about a SF300V paired with a OTAL-C for a budget option? Or would it be worth the extra coin just to get the D2? And where are you finding a D2 for $1200 or less? @theLBC

What about a SF300V paired with a OTAL-C for a budget option? Or would it be worth the extra coin just to get the D2? And where are you finding a D2 for $1200 or less? @theLBC
a vendor/sponsor had them on sale when i bought it but have seen others since.

If you need the illumination then the D2 is going to be hard to beat at that price point. All of Steiner products got a price increase this year and the cheapest I've seen a D2 is around $1250 from Kosher surplus and JRH. JRH is where I bought mine from last August.

The MAWL is overpriced, especially at $3k IMO. I would look grey market and spend half as much. I saw an NGAL and a LA5 go for around that price if only just a little more before.

At this point, between all the info out there it seems like either a DBAL-D2, Perst 3, or a Perst 4 and surefire M622V are the best contenders, MAWL seems to have priced themselves out of a competition they were already struggling in.

The 9HR video showing performance in shadows really highlighted that

With the perst yes you can get it serviced for broken parts but it has to go to Russia and back and that can take 4-5 months or more. Typically, you send it to the place you bought it from not zenitco directly.

With regards to ngal they sell for $3300 new, the catch is you need to be law enforcement or have law enforcement connections ;)

Reactions: stefan73
With the perst yes you can get it serviced for broken parts but it has to go to Russia and back and that can take 4-5 months or more. Typically, you send it to the place you bought it from not zenitco directly.

With regards to ngal they sell for $3300 new, the catch is you need to be law enforcement or have law enforcement connections ;)
They sell NGALs on an individual basis to LEs?

I called, they wouldn't sell to the individual for NGAL, the dealer required Department Letter.

I didn’t think the MAWL was worth it’s original price let alone the new one.
In a lot of ways - we are an experiment on how much people will pay before they say no....

And for a manufacturer - selling 3 things at $500 markup each is MUCH less preferable to selling one thing at $1500 markup. Because now I only have to make, store, sell, ship, and support 1 thing out there for the same monies in my pocket.

How much are grey market FP Peq's going for these days? Also the PERST series may be something to consider.

Reactions: stefan73
I've seem them range from $1,500 ish to $2,500 is for regular FP Peq 15's.

The LA5B and Dbal A3 UHP have lately been up in the range of $3,000 plus.

Cool,

When I eventually get into the NV game, I'll probably pursue those options, I am not really to concerned with units going down, they are simply electronics and from alot of the stuff that we maintain down range, most electronic failures seem to be relatively minor and can be fixed by a decent electronic tech..

A focusing a 200mw A3 UHP illuminator to a laser point is my Walmart brand IZLID.
The A3 UHP even works well for CQB when set up correctly.

Given that Steiner has changed the orientation of the Illuminator Bezel (when screwed all the way into the barrel) it is at its widest focus. If you put a Diffuser cap on it and also run a Neutral Density Filter on the IR point, you can run on DH and it does very well close up. Switch to longer range by simply pushing the Differser cap to the side.

On the NDF you can also drill out a hole in the solid piece of the cover that covers the Vis Point and that away you can leave the NDF on all the time and still have instant access to the Vis Point without having to push the NDF to the side to access Vis Point.

Taming the IR point when in high settings provides a clear crisp point superimposed on the Illuminator beam.