• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max load with RL22 in my 300 win mag

niwot

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Colorado
I was wondering if I could bounce some data off you all, and get some feed back about safety and overpressure rounds. To start I have just started reloading and I have been loading for my 700P in 300 win mag.

I'm working up a load for some Speer 168 grain BTHP match I picked up at bass pro.

From the Alliant manual the load listed for this specific bullet is 79 grain of RL22.

I started with 75 grains and I'm using federal larger rifle mag primers.

The bolt handle started to become hard to lift at 77 grains of two rounds.

First I noticed diminishing returns in velocity at 76 grains, with the crony I was using. Does that seem typical considering I'm way below the listed 79 grain load?

Also, I know the bold handle lift should tell me I'm getting up there in pressure, so I'll check to see if the primers have flattened, but did I go to far in my testing? Was it unsafe to shoot 5 more with 77.5 grains of powder more? At 77.5 3 round were hard to extract, and one I had to pull a bit, NOT hammer the bolt open.

I'm going to pull the bullets on the 78 and 78.5, but it seems like next time I will start a full 10% lower.

Now that I know my max load for this rifle, should I work backwards from 75 since I was getting about 3,130 fps or should I make small changes around 75 in either direction to find the most accurate load?

Any safety admonishments are welcome if I violated any rules, sine I want to keep my face intact.

Thanks!

Re: Max load with RL22 in my 300 win mag

The dimishing velocity at 76 grains is a red flag. Thats about all you can safely do with that rifle. I have shot many rounds with a 210 at 72 grains............ so 79 for a 168 sounds excessive.

My 300 likes 73 with 190s. 76 sounds like a bit much to me.

72gr R22 pushing 190BTHP , close to 3000fps.

Trying to push the 168's aren't worth it, go with 180 - 210's

Thanks for the input everybody.

Now I'm curious about why heavier bullets seem to require less powder.
The same page that told me to stay under 79 grains, suggest 73 grains of RL 22 for speer 200 grain soft points?
Alliant reloading page for RL22

If I had followed that page more correctly I should have started my load at 71 grains of powder which is about 10% than 79, but it seems given the results of pushing heavier bullets with less, perhaps I should start at less than 71?

I just wish I could get my hands on a copy of the speer reloading manual right now, it's been out of stock for a while every place I have looked.

My load for 300 win mag is 79gr of RL22, 168 matchkings with CCI mag primers out of a Rem 40X at 3230fps. I've had not problems but every gun is not the same. Watch the primers, they will tell you if its to hot. p.s. 6.75" at a 1K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Trying to push the 168's aren't worth it, go with 180 - 210's</div></div>

Some good advice. I wouldn't use anything but the 208 AMAX or 210 VLD in the 300WM. Great BCs and you can get them in the 2900+fps range pretty easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Trying to push the 168's aren't worth it, go with 180 - 210's</div></div>

Some good advice. I wouldn't use anything but the 208 AMAX or 210 VLD in the 300WM. Great BCs and you can get them in the 2900+fps range pretty easily. </div></div>

go on...

What you want to know?

72.6 RE22 with a JLK VLD LBT 210gr seated to the lands gives me 2925fps at 70 degrees from a 29" bbl.

The same powder charge only gives me 2880fps at 60 degrees with 210 Berger VLD's seated to touch the lands.

Both are very accurate loads. Both remain supersonic on any range I shoot them at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you want to know?</div></div>

What about shooting lighter weight bullets is not worth it?

Are the lighter weight bullets not as accurate, or is the issue just that I could push 168's out of a 308 with much the same effect?

The heavier bullets have a higher BC, .647, and will not be as effected by the wind as a lighter 168 with it's .462 BC. When you start shooting out to longer distances the wind is what will kill you. They will also have more energy on target than the 168s. I have shot my 300WM to 1650 yards with the 210s without a problem.