• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAY 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

It doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

RULES: SH RIMFIRE 100 TO 300 YARD COMPETITION RULES - Check out the "Support Side" matches

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH LONG RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

PREVIOUS 2011 MATCH SCORES:

APRIL 2011 SCORES

MARCH 2011 SCORES

FEBRUARY 2011 SCORES

JANUARY 2011 SCORES

2010 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

2009 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

learnings from rimfire comp thread

Re: MAY 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

300 with the .22 LR? What kind of groups do you guys get?

BERGA
Class:scope
Match:200YP A-21 sling position
Score:247-12X
Rifle:Anschutz 64
Ammo:SM-340
[img:center]
200yardmay.jpg
[/img]

I have not been able to shoot for 3 weeks and what's worse is my new creedmoore shooting coat arrived after two months of waiting. I have been laying on the living room floor with the new coat on,all slung up, aiming at a 2" sticky dot on my neighbors house(he knows IAM mental)trying to keep my prone/sling form tight. I fired 4 rounds @ 200 in the last couple of days. I will settle for 247-12X....someday the clean will come. Now for 240 plus at 300 on the MR-63...I hope.

I hope everyone will have time to post/shoot this month,it sucks when "real life" gets in the way of the important things, like shooting !!!

Name: Travis Mihm
Class: S
Rifle: Marlin 925
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: CCI Std.
Match: 100YP-TQ4
Score: 226-5X

Was whining to myself inside about how windy it was getting and how bad it would be to be shooting. And then I realized I suck at shooting in the wind, and this would make a great time to learn. At least it proved I suck at shooting in the wind, but I did quickly start learning.

I was also trying to get better at quickly manipulating the bolt and load one at a time without losing my sight picture too much. With the .22 it's pretty hard because it has a pretty dang stiff firing pin, but if I'm ever to shoot any of the hi power matches around here, I better start practicing efficient reloading, too.

-Travis

Name: Aquatic_Robotic AKA "Aquabot"
Rifle: Anschutz 64 MPR
Ammo: Wolf Match Target
Match: 100YB-TQ4
Score: 248-17x

Wind 12-15 mph gusting from the 6 to 1 and shifting to 6 to 11
5:30 PM 88 degrees bipod no rear rest

zeroed at 50 yd 100 yd 6 MOA up and set 2 MOA left

If I have scored it correctly?? If you see different please note.

248 17 x's

P5240037.jpg

Thanks to those who have spent time and energy setting this up.

I am having more fun with the 22lr than I have had shooting in a long time. Goal for June clean from bench position using bipod and begin NEW TO ME!! prone training. PRACTICE PRACTICE

Aquatic_Robot; you could easily clean the target in more ideal conditions. That is one heck of a job well done! Honestly, I'd say you should do the TQ4 in the prone from here on out and move on to the 200 and/or the 300 yard comps! Just a suggestion
wink.gif

D_TROS
Class:scope
Rifle:Rem40x
Ammo:Eley blue box

Match:200YP A-21 bipod
Score:226-4x

Match:200YP-5RDP - (200 yards) "5 inch Round Disc" - Prone
Score:10/25 - 4X

This was fun. Needed a spotting scope bad, could not spot hits. Plan to do much better next time.

BERGA
Match:300 YP MR-63 sling
Score:230-6X
Rifle:Anschutz 64
Ammo: SM340
Class: scope [img:center]
300yardnowind.jpg
[/img]
This is best I could do this month...

Still plagued with bad ammo, embarrassed to post it, but here it is...

..didn't even want to attempt 200yds.

76 DEG. F., 3 MPH WIND 6:00, 40% HUMIDITY, SUNNY

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: SAVAGE MKII BV
Ammo: AGUILA GOLDEN EAGLE MATCH RIFLE
Match: 100YP-TQ4
Score: 231-4x

NAME: TOP PREDATOR
Class: (S)
RIFLE: SAVAGE MKII BV
CALIBER: .22LR
AMMO: AGUILA G. EAGLE RIFLE MATCH
MATCH: 100YP-25RD
SCORE: 20 OF 25 - 4X

may2011100yd.jpg

the 25th shot is over at the 3:00 position in the 8 ring and got cut off in the photo. didn't realize it until i threw the target away.

<span style="font-weight: bold">my scores are going to suck until i use up the remainder of the bad stuff. </span>

C.H. posted in short range comps, copied and pasted here:

Name; Clodhopper
Match 100 YP TQ-4
Sight; S
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; .22lr
Ammo; Fed automatch
Score; 245 10X

Name; Clodhopper
Match 100 YP TQ-4 SS
Sight; S
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; .22lr
Ammo; Fed automatch
Score; 244 7X

Carter Mayfield
Class: Scope
Match: 200YP A-21
Score: 246-9X
Rifle: 40X-caliber
Ammo: RWS R-50

05-30-11SH200ydssized.jpg

I have to say that while I did not win or set a personal record this time around, I am truly proud of this target because I shot it in 15+ mph wind with 26 mph gusts and the wind was making 90 degree shifts. Looking at the target, vertically, all of the shots were in, so this could have been a clean with better wind reading. BUT that is the best reading I had in me.

I went to the ranch and got to shoot it at a true 200 yards, which helped a lot. If we could just get some lighter winds, I might be able to get the elusive clean.

BERGA, you got me again!

Carter, 98% in that wind !!! You're a Rifleman my friend !!! I cherry picked my 200 yard day,7:45am,very little wind and I only saved one more point than you. In my mind you win.

Berga

wow carter, that is a great target. I cant believe how little verticle you have. My 40x hates RWS ammo (at 50 yds)...maybe I should try it at distance...

Nice shooting the both of you.

_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carter, 98% in that wind !!! You're a Rifleman my friend !!! I cherry picked my 200 yard day,7:45am,very little wind and I only saved one more point than you. In my mind you win.

Berga</div></div>

Don't think I wouldn't have cherry picked if I could! I just had one day to shoot this month. It was actually great practice trying to shoot that wind. I learned a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow carter, that is a great target. I cant believe how little verticle you have. My 40x hates RWS ammo (at 50 yds)...maybe I should try it at distance...

_DT</div></div>

My 40X hates RWS at 50 yards (compared to Eley), but at 100 yards and up it is better than Eley. I think it has to do with mor consistent charging. I chronied the RWS and it has SD's under 5 fps for 20 shots versus 8.5 fps for Eley. I think the key to Eley's accuracy is the bullet.

The tiny vertical dispersion certainly helps to create a sizeable advantage when shooting at distance. I wrote about a match I shot in at 100 yards in which I cleaned 3 targets. On 2 of those targets, I caught the outside of the 10 ring. If the verticle wasn't dead on in both shots, I would have dropped 2 points and a lot of bragging rights!

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">MAY 2011 LONG RANGE RESULTS</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL ARE .22LR CAL AND SCOPED</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">100 YARD</span></span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB-TQ4</span>

1. AQUATIC_ROBOTIC.........248-17X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP-TQ4</span>
1. CLOD HOPPER………..........245-10X
2. TOP PREDATOR..............231-4X
3. TRAVIS MIHM.................226-5X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP-TQ4 SS</span>

1. CLOD HOPPER................244-7X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP-25RD</span>

1. TOP PREDATOR...............20 OF 25-4X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">200 YARD</span></span> </span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP A21 </span>

1. BERGA.........................247-12X.....(sling only)
grin.gif

2. CARTER MAYFIELD...........246-9X
3. D_TROS........................226-4X

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP 5RDP </span>

1. D_TROS......................10 OF 25-4X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">300 YARD</span></span> </span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">300YP-MR63C </span>

BERGA............................230-6X.....(sling only)

May seems to have whooped most with weather, either tornadoes, wind, rain, floods or something. Let's just hope that all usual shooters are safe and keep in our thoughts those that have had a disaster hit them, that they recover well.

Welcome new shooter AQUATIC_ROBOTIC that posted a great score, hopefully June will provide us all with more time and better conditions to have more competition.

As we head into June and summer, let's give a shout out to all the father's out there for father's day and remember to give your " 'ol man" a shout out too - and don't forget to fly the colors on flag day this month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow carter, that is a great target. I cant believe how little verticle you have. My 40x hates RWS ammo (at 50 yds)...maybe I should try it at distance...

_DT</div></div>

My 40X hates RWS at 50 yards (compared to Eley), but at 100 yards and up it is better than Eley. I think it has to do with mor consistent charging. I chronied the RWS and it has SD's under 5 fps for 20 shots versus 8.5 fps for Eley. I think the key to Eley's accuracy is the bullet.

The tiny vertical dispersion certainly helps to create a sizeable advantage when shooting at distance. I wrote about a match I shot in at 100 yards in which I cleaned 3 targets. On 2 of those targets, I caught the outside of the 10 ring. If the verticle wasn't dead on in both shots, I would have dropped 2 points and a lot of bragging rights! </div></div>

Good to know. Thank you sir. I think I read you stating that somewhere else, but never put 2 an 2 together. May have to try a box out. The eley was one holing it at 50 so I just stopped using anything else, even tho the lapua center x (or midas?) also shot well.

What do you (your 40x) prefer shooting for cheaper ammo? or do you use the good stuff all the time?
I got good results from sk plus and match but still experimenting.

Regards,
_DT

I don't use cheaper ammo for two reasons:
1) I can afford to
2) Poor / inaccurate ammo gives bad feedback to you during practice

If your ammo is giving you fliers and you try to correct or otherwise change up your form to correct fliers that are not your fault, you can end up actually doing damage to your shooting.

That said, I understand there are folks who save some top shelf ammo for matches. And personally, I do make choices about ammo based on cost (I don't use Lapua X-Act or Eley Tenex, for instance). But when I do make a choice, I shoot that ammo exlusively.

Lately, I have been using Eley for short range and RWS for long range, but that is wasteful as it usually takes me 25 fouling shots to acheive proper accuracy when I switch. That is over $5 worth of ammo for every switch, so I try to shoot long range exclusively and save short range for Smach the Amiley once a quarter.

Thanks for the welcome. Great shooting guys

I had tons of fun and learned a lot. This has been so much fun and somewhat "addictive", that I can't bring myself to pick up the centerfire right now.

Long story so if it needs to be moved go ahead!

Took a buddy out to the range today and it was "HOT" 98 degrees, but slight 5-7 mph wind. I told him bring his 22 and 17 HMR and we would shoot a little. He is a good shot, but a hunter not a marksman. We shot a while at 50 and he was shooting very well.

I told him to give me a minute and that I was going to set up a few targets further out. I drove down to the 200 yd range and set 4 full 16 oz water bottles on top of the back stop. We have a 20 foot vertical wall just beyond the 200 yard targets so all was safe.

He was laughing when I got back and said what are you thinking?? Are you serious? Unknown to him I had already had my scope settings for 200 yards from the last trip out and it was going to be fun now.

I let him give it try wth both his 22 LR and 17 HMR. He came close a few times with his Remington 22 LR, but the Savage HMR was never close with the little wind that was blowing.

I set my scope up and used my bipod and a rear bag. I fired one shot at dirt clod in the berm back stop and made one adjustment for windage. It took 6 shots to bust all 4 16 oz water bottles at 200 yards.

To say the least he got excited and said let me try that. I confessed then that I had set him up. PAY BACK TIME For the next 45 mintues he proceeded to shoot up about 100 rounds of my Wolf Match Target through the Annie 64 MPR and made numerous hits on those downed water bottles at 200 yds.

Maybe another convert or maybe just another rimfire Long Range "Junky"!??

Thanks to those of you who had a part in setting up these Comps and keeping up with the scores.