• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

May 31st BangSteel Challenge, SW Virginia... a few spots open, + match details

Dan Newberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
We're hosting the spring BangSteel Challenge on May 31st at our facility in southwest Virginia. It will be an individual match, with prizes and cash being awarded to best shooters.

Because the match is an individual shoot, and shooters will need to spot their own impacts in order to get on target.

Light walking to various firing points will be required. Scoped rifles of bolt action or semi-auto should be used, and no cartridge with more muzzle energy than the 300 Winchester Magnum may be used.

Round count will be approximately 40 rounds, but bring 50 to be sure you'll have plenty.

Shooting positions will be prone, seated using shooting sticks (provided, but you may use your own if you have them), supported over rocks, supported over an ATV, etc.

Stages will be timed, but time will be ample to get yourself set up safely. Most stages will allow 5 to 7 shots. Scoring details will be announced on match day, but the fewer shots required to hit each target the better your score will be.

Ranges will be announced with the exception of one stage on which you will be required to trajectory range. Knowledge of your rifle's trajectory will be needed in order for you to take up to 7 shots to determine the actual range of a target of unknown distance, and unknown size. A brief description of this exercise will be given prior to the stage, but you will essentially estimate range the "old fashioned way" (with a guess :) )... and then fire a shot and spot your impact, correct your turret(s), and fire again. When you get on the plate, you'll then tell the r/o what you believe the distance to that plate is. Scores will be calculated based on how close to the actual distance your estimate is, as well as how many shots it takes you to determine that distance. If you cannot spot your rifle's impacts in your scope's field of view, you won't be able to complete this stage. Dial your scope zoom down, properly control your recoil, and you should be able to see your bullet strikes. We strongly believe trajectory ranging is a useful skill which will allow you to complete a range card in a situation where you have no working rangefinder, and you don't know the exact sizes of any objects downrange. You will then be able to share the range data to specific landmarks in the AO with others who may need to work in that area. Don't assume you'll always have a working rangefinder, and don't assume you'll necessarily have targets of exact known sizes to work with--learn to pinpoint ranges with the knowledge of your rifle's trajectory.

Some shooters have already paid for this match in advance, and we have your payments in hand. We're now moving to a "pay when you get here" format, so if you want to register, just send a PM including your name, city/state, rifle cartridge you'll be using, and a phone number and we'll consider you good-to-go.

Match fee is 100 dollars.

Ranges will be anywhere from 200 yards to 1000 yards. We will have a separate class for the 308 Winchester shooters, and top prize will depend on how well the 308 shooter scores compared to the general class.

If you have any questions about this match, please feel free to ask them here in this thread, or else PM or email (see email contacts at bangsteel.com )

Dan

Match still set for this Saturday, May 31st. For those unfamiliar with the location, please plan on meeting at the Subway sandwich shop off Bland, Virginia exit number 52, I-77 in VA. Meet at 9:00am, NLT 9:15am... we will depart for the range at 9:30am.

We have cash and prizes on the table for this match, and lunch will be served (Subway sandwich platters and drinks).

Round count... 50 rounds should do it. :)

If I have a rifle by this weekend, I'm going to try to make it to compete. If not, I might ride down with one of the other members to spectate if that is okay.

Ive never competed but have shot out to 1k.... Would this be a good beginner comp or is it more advanced? .... not trying to be in no ones way and wouldn't mind just driving up there if not beginner friendly comp.

Anyone have any input?

Ive never competed but have shot out to 1k.... Would this be a good beginner comp or is it more advanced? .... not trying to be in no ones way and wouldn't mind just driving up there if not beginner friendly comp.

Anyone have any input?

I've only shot here once, but I believe it would be a great match for a beginner. The guys running the match seem like very good fellas. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to shoot here.

Yep, I'll be there, and most likely I'll need to use one of your rifles. I don't foresee having mine back from the smith by Saturday. Meeting up with another forum member early Saturday morning for the drive down.

I suppose I'll just bring some copycat FGMM ammo? If you happen to have a proven load for your rifles that would be great too. I'll be using 4064 and 175 SMKs with either Hornady Match brass or FedGMM brass.

Yep, I'll be there, and most likely I'll need to use one of your rifles. I don't foresee having mine back from the smith by Saturday. Meeting up with another forum member early Saturday morning for the drive down.

I suppose I'll just bring some copycat FGMM ammo? If you happen to have a proven load for your rifles that would be great too. I'll be using 4064 and 175 SMKs with either Hornady Match brass or FedGMM brass.

Okay... I'll have a rifle on hand that'll do the job for you. It's a 110FP in 308, with a Bushnell tactical 10x scope, with mil adjustments and mil reticle of course. The ammo you mention will be fine. Get here early so we can get a zero on the gun with your ammo. Bring 60 rounds...

If you like MOA adjustments, you can use my LE2B Savage with a Nightforce scope. Both of these rifles have Kahntrol muzzle brakes, so they're easy to shoot.

Okay... I'll have a rifle on hand that'll do the job for you. It's a 110FP in 308, with a Bushnell tactical 10x scope, with mil adjustments and mil reticle of course. The ammo you mention will be fine. Get here early so we can get a zero on the gun with your ammo. Bring 60 rounds...

If you like MOA adjustments, you can use my LE2B Savage with a Nightforce scope. Both of these rifles have Kahntrol muzzle brakes, so they're easy to shoot.

I'm accustomed to MOA, but I've studied enough on Mil to be able to use it, so it doesn't matter either way. Just let me know so I can bring the appropriate dope cards?

I'm accustomed to MOA, but I've studied enough on Mil to be able to use it, so it doesn't matter either way. Just let me know so I can bring the appropriate dope cards.

Can you also PM a preferred load data for whichever rifle you think would suit me best? Preferred COAL, Charge etc. I shoot 43.4gr 4064 in hornady match brass with 175 smk's at 2.825 for a .005 jump in my rifle. Will that same load run in your rifles? This load nets a 2740 FPS velocity out of my 24" 1:11 Rem 700.

Last edited:
I'm accustomed to MOA, but I've studied enough on Mil to be able to use it, so it doesn't matter either way. Just let me know so I can bring the appropriate dope cards.

Can you also PM a preferred load data for whichever rifle you think would suit me best? Preferred COAL, Charge etc. I shoot 43.4gr 4064 in hornady match brass with 175 smk's at 2.825 for a .005 jump in my rifle. Will that same load run in your rifles? This load nets a 2740 FPS velocity out of my 24" 1:11 Rem 700.

Okay, we'll go with the LE2B... it's got a McMillan stock (factory option) and 26" barrel... Accutrigger breaks at 2 pounds, it's glass bedded... Harris SLM 9 to 13" bipod, sling... Nightforce NXS 3.5 to 15x with NPR-2 reticle. It has the older 10 MOA spin turrets on it. The rifle has about 7000 rounds down the tube at this time, and is a true 1/2 MOA rifle.

It'll be zeroed if you bring 175 SMK's pushed by any of the following (I've tested it): 41.8 grains of IMR 4064, 42 grains of Varget, in FC brass. If you have IMR 4895, it'll shoot 42.0 grains of that with the 175's. I'd make a chart with a 100 yard zero, and 2650 fps MV.

If you want to bring the load you have mentioned, it'll run it fine I'm sure... that probably will make 2700 fps.

CAVEAT: This rifle like most Savage factory guns has a chamber that's very, very tight... FULL LENGTH size your brass, bump the shoulder back to factory spec or it may not chamber.

If you'll come about half hour early, we'll check your zero with your ammo right quick.

Last edited:
Okay, we'll go with the LE2B... it's got a McMillan stock (factory option) and 26" barrel... Accutrigger breaks at 2 pounds, it's glass bedded... Harris SLM 9 to 13" bipod, sling... Nightforce NXS 3.5 to 15x with NPR-2 reticle. It has the older 10 MOA spin turrets on it. The rifle has about 7000 rounds down the tube at this time, and is a true 1/2 MOA rifle.

It'll be zeroed if you bring 175 SMK's pushed by any of the following (I've tested it): 41.8 grains of IMR 4064, 42 grains of Varget, in FC brass. If you have IMR 4895, it'll shoot 42.0 grains of that with the 175's. I'd make a chart with a 100 yard zero, and 2650 fps MV.

If you want to bring the load you have mentioned, it'll run it fine I'm sure... that probably will make 2700 fps.

If you'll come about half hour early, we'll check your zero with your ammo right quick.

Sounds good, I just finished priming 104 pieces of FC brass, and was getting ready to drop my first 41.8gr charge of 4064 on the scale. Thats the standard load that I always run on this FC brass.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Dan, will we be able to reference range cards/dope on phones on the unknown distance/unknown charge stage? Or do we need to have our dope memorized?

On the unknown distance, uncertain size... we're doing this during the July team shoot. This match will not have any UKD stages, all target distances will be announced.

Rangeryo... the LE2B is zeroed at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain ammo. We checked it today at 515 yards, and at 925 yards.

At 515 yards, 10.75 MOA
At 925 yards, 30.00 MOA

On the unknown distance, uncertain size... we're doing this during the July team shoot. This match will not have any UKD stages, all target distances will be announced.

Rangeryo... the LE2B is zeroed at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain ammo. We checked it today at 515 yards, and at 925 yards.

At 515 yards, 10.75 MOA
At 925 yards, 30.00 MOA

Dan I picked up my rifle from Hawk Hill this evening. He had it shooting bug holes with his scope so we decided my vortex is bad. I was meeting Mike to carpool down, and he offered to lend me a spare for tomorrow. Will you give me about 3 or 4 shots to get a 100 yd zero before we get started tomorrow?

Man I wish I could make this or the next one. Maybe July/August I can get there. Be sweeeeeet. Don't feel like I have enough dope on the gun to compete (only run it once with Dan) but I would love the trigger time.

Come on out! Im shooting a gun ive got no dope on with a scope Ive never used. Gotta get that dope somewhere!

On the way home now. What a great day for shooting!! A beautiful day for shooting and good fellas to enjoy the day with. Thanks to Dan and all the ROs for helping out. It was a great way to spend a beautiful Saturday!!
Congrats to the great shooters who came in on top of the list!!

Great turnout, and a great match... some really good shooters in the mix, for sure. Thanks to all who participated.

A perfect score was 700 points, but with three bonus stages that score could be exceeded.

Gray Sloan did just that, turning in an amazing score of 730 points for the match--and for the win.

Steven Best also turned in a great score for 2nd position.

And Bryan Lewis amazed everyone by shooting a factory Savage Edge in .308 winchester, taking 3rd place.

(that's Mike Walpole on the photo bomb there a couple times)... :D

Shooters completed 6 target stages in two separate squads prior to the break for lunch. During the lunch break, scores were tallied to rank standings at that point in the match. For the seventh and final stage, we began from the bottom scores and worked our way up, placing two shooters at a time on the line to each engage his own 18 inch plate at 888 yards at the "go" command. The first shooter to hit scored 100 points, then the second shooter was given 30 seconds to hit his plate with one shot for a score of 50 points. This does have the potential to swing the scores significantly, and the leading scores can change suddenly during this stage. Since shooters are placed two by two on the line based on points scored up to that point in the match, each shooter is pitted against another of equal aptitude. The stage culminates with the top two shooters in the match at that point shooting against each other, and a 50 to 100 point separation will be the result. A second of difference in target engagement and hit speed often makes the difference.

Here are some other pics from today, and more may follow soon...

Last edited:
Thanks for a nicely done match Dan!

Attachments

• BSC_Stage_1_Prone.jpg
    BSC_Stage_1_Prone.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BSC_Stage_2_Gate.jpg
    BSC_Stage_2_Gate.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 14
Thanks again to Dan and the guys at Bangsteel! I had an absolute blast! Might have to bring the Axis out again sometime :)

Dan and ROs,

Thanks for hosting a fun match! I like how your stages use environmental features one might find when hunting.

The individual matches teach you to try and spot for yourself. It is nice that you are also having team matches this summer. Learning to spot and communicate to a partner is also a valuable skill. I will not be able to make the summer team match but hope you offer some other team matches later this year.

I also appreciate you taking the time to say the pledge of allegiance and say a prayer before starting the match.

I thought it was a great group of people to shoot with on a fine Saturday.

Thanks again,
TKAB (Ladd)

Ladd, thanks for the kind words. It was great having you with us.

Thanks for seeing the value in spotting one's own impacts in the scope... that's apparently not emphasized very often (if at all) in most courses... But I believe if we find ourselves working alone, and if we've relied too often on a spotter, we're going to be at a decided disadvantage if we don't see our impacts in the scope's field of view. Dialing down the magnification power, and practicing recoil control while "staying on the glass" is key to seeing your own impacts. With awkward shooting positions, this can be all but impossible... but the better we set up the shot, the more likely we will see the bullet's arrival through our own rifle scope.

I have to also echo what Ladd said about the pledge of allegiance and the prayer. Not been to any other match that does that and I appreciate you doing it.

Steve

I have to also echo what Ladd said about the pledge of allegiance and the prayer. Not been to any other match that does that and I appreciate you doing it.

Steve
Dan has done that since the very first match he has put on. It's something I believe the gun community as a whole appreciates, I know I do.

Tried to snap a few pics over the course of the day so I thought I'd post em up. Absolutely in love with the panoramic shot. Had no idea it'd come out that great. Hope you guys enjoy.

25q8vw2.jpg

o8xs1u.jpg

4lsag.jpg

2hhhjwg.jpg

n21usx.jpg

2ekir9z.jpg

2hf3z2t.jpg

e8qyoh.jpg

Attachments

• 25q8vw2.jpg
    25q8vw2.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 13

Steve

Dan has done that since the very first match he has put on. It's something I believe the gun community as a whole appreciates, I know I do.

Add me to that list.

Last edited:
Great Match, had a lot of fun and it was challenging! Also a really pretty place to shoot. Thanks to Dan and the RO's for making it happen, hope to see y'all again here soon!

What's all that green stuff?
That is a beautiful locale for a shoot. Color me jealous.

upSLIDEdown... awesome pics, for sure... I love those! :)

Gray... you did a fantastic job. On the final stage, you'd no more than hit the ground before you connected that 888 yard shot for the win. A class act, you are. :)

Dan

Thanks Dan for a great match and a beautiful place to shoot. Look forward to coming back and shooting again.

I had to come home and order a new scope, I'm seriously hoping I'll have it in hand in time for the local match on 6/14.