• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maybe I should move to Wyoming

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    iu

WY is just North Denver anymore anyways.

Some guy from there got his finger bit through a fence of a bear enclosure and called it a mauling.

Plus, Brokeback Mtn (aka Bender’s Love Story) and Pigeon Time are big things there.

Lotta people gotta move to WY.
    Then leave cause it is cold and windy all the time.
    Till its hot and windy with flies and skeeters.

Some guy from there got his finger bit through a fence of a bear enclosure and called it a mauling.

Plus, Brokeback Mtn (aka Bender’s Love Story) and Pigeon Time are big things there.

There's good reason we're one of the most moved away from states. The wind and cold is one thing, remoteness is another, but right now it's mostly a general lack of jobs. Coal is going bust, guaranteed, and with it the rest of the state.

And only Cheyenne is North Denver, but remember Colorado is Wyoming's Mexico.

#BlockadeInterstate25
    #WyomingIsFull

Yeah. CO sucks to live in.
    Beautiful place. Have good friends here.
    Lotta booger eaters and LIBS anywhere you turn though.

If more people move out of WY, I may move in.

I know how to do stuff n things.
    My kinda people are welcomed in small towns. 😉

But I like remote and dont like many people.
    And prefer if the people I am around are conservative.
    Im only stuck where I am (clearly my choice) but cant move my kid OOS with me.

So amusing someone from Wyoming talking about skeeters……come to nome ak or Kotzebue, Alaska the “skeeters“ up there kill bears……

Mosquitos in Wyoming are a joke. Yeah, the mountains have them and yeah, the valleys with rivers have them, but really it's not all that bad. Swamps of the southeast are far worse and just shy of year round, whereas we deal with them for four months out of the year. Minimal amounts of DEET keeps them away, and twice a week fogging in town right on the N Platte means I have none at the house, not a fucking one. Tourists are far more annoying.

But flies... Lots and lots of flies. If you're within five miles of a cattle feed lot or sizable ranch, which is pretty much everywhere, you have flies all the fuck over the place. It's the #1 reason I leave Black Widows that are outdoors alone, they eat flies and thats better in my book than potentially killing me. If I leave the door open on the work truck for just a few minutes, I have thirty flies in the cab in no time flat.

It is funny watching the bikers come in the state on their way through to Sturgis, the ones with no wind screens and of course no helmets have little welts on their faces and have to clean their shades off every fuel stop.

Sweet! The CMP in Bama is a super nice range for all those that have never been. If you are ever in Bama I highly recommend checking it out. The more ranges were have the better imo and the ones out there need our support!
    I havent been but hear its nice. Video cameras so you can see your shots as they happen. There is also the Whittington Center in Raton NM which has cabins but no sort of food service. I'm, a life member there, absolutely beautiful place of 33,000 acres.

My only rough experience with bad skeeters in WY was a backpacking trip as the snow (from a BIG winter) was melting.

Meadows were marshes (gaiters required or you would have water/mud in your tall hiking boots).

The skeeters were so thick and bad I was cursing not having brought my head net for bugs and just covered every surface besides that with cloths. .
    Every bit as bad as anywhere I had been, including AK swamps, MN canoe trips, etc that day.
    Ended up gaining a ridge for the breeze and stayed up there and off trail that went to a lot of lakes and meadows that would be the same.

Isolated occurrence in June, and don't tell the outside folks there are no skeeters. 😉

My only rough experience with bad skeeters in WY was a backpacking trip as the snow (from a BIG winter) was melting.

Meadows were marshes (gaiters required or you would have water/mud in your tall hiking boots).

The skeeters were so thick and bad I was cursing not having brought my head net for bugs and just covered every surface besides that with cloths. .
    Every bit as bad as anywhere I had been, including AK swamps, MN canoe trips, etc that day.
    Ended up gaining a ridge for the breeze and stayed up there and off trail that went to a lot of lakes and meadows that would be the same.

Isolated occurrence in June, and don't tell the outside folks there are no skeeters. 😉
    The one thing I always have, in every vehicle and every pack, is a small bottle of 100% DEET just to make sure I'm NEVER without it. Mountain marshes, Florida swamps or east coast ticks and chiggers, it's the only thing that works every time with only a couple drops of the stuff per limb. They're small, only a couple ounces, but can make or break a trip on their own.

Yeah, I’m looking out my WY window and there is a mosquito f**king a turkey standing flat footed. Guess I’ll go for my varmint rifle…

I'll say it for Bender . Wyoming is hell incarnate . Skeeters the size a vultures . Blackflies the size a condors . Tick infested and don't git me started bout the scrawny deer . If yah kun find em .
    Y'all wanna steer clear of this God forsaken blight called Wyoming .

The one thing I always have, in every vehicle and every pack, is a small bottle of 100% DEET just to make sure I'm NEVER without it. Mountain marshes, Florida swamps or east coast ticks and chiggers, it's the only thing that works every time with only a couple drops of the stuff per limb. They're small, only a couple ounces, but can make or break a trip on their own.

I was a young teen, maybe 15? Was with my dad and we just had the regular bug spray, not 100%.
    Now the Ben's is always with me.
    And if I think there are skeeters, a friggin head net too. Just to keep em off you and away from your face.

I once was on a hike in the afternoon after work in AK with a couple friends. Nasty skeeters, no DEET helped to keep those nasty little buggers off my bare skin, and only slowed the biting.
    Ended up with rain jacket on and hood cinched around my face, even though it was sunny and quite warm.
    We made it 4 miles, then cut back across a ridge to the road (12 mile planned) to head back to the car as the 2 gals I was with (and me) were past the fun part.
    Got to the road and they diminished.
    Truck passes and I turn my head and wave as they go by and they stomped their brakes and backed up really fast.
    Apparently I had slapped so many skeeters on my face, blood was everywhere and they were worried we had suffered a bear or moose encounter!
    And thats why I like a headset!

I'll say it for Bender . Wyoming is hell incarnate . Skeeters the size a vultures . Blackflies the size a condors . Tick infested and don't git me started bout the scrawny deer . If yah kun find em .
    Y'all wanna steer clear of this God forsaken blight called Wyoming .
    There's some truth there though, we have areas that suffered up to or over 80% winter kill this last year for deer, pronghorn, moose and elk, and statewide it's pretty fucking bad all in all. Between the preceding droughts followed by massive snowfall this past winter, the herds are just small get-togethers now. It's a decade plus to recover from the damage, and that's with good weather and game management.

So no, there's no good hunting here, and that's completely without sarcasm.

I wonder if that stuff works for horseflies. I was setting targets on the 300 yd line at my local range and holy moly, got hit by at least a dozen in less than a minute. At first I thought I'd stirred up some hornets. Those little bastards hurt.

Wyoming sucks, reference the spring bear hunting thread for more information….

Cheyenne and Laramie are just part of Denver anymore and it seems that’s how the Governor likes it.

I would love to see that range built on the western side of the state where public land is more controlled and the billionaires own all the ranches. But I assume the political influence will spend that money on the eastern half of the state.

BTW the mosquitoes are a damn plague this year, you can’t even be outdoors after 8 pm no matter what repellent you are using

All kind of makes me glad I live in Texas. We have thick, primeval forests where I hunt. High plains in the west. Basin in the south. In fact, much of the public hunting land and some of the meatiest outfitters are in the south west, around San Angelo and the Big Bend area. In fact, it is the Big Bend area that drew Ted Nugent to Texas. He used to travel with his son, Rocky, to there from Michigan to hunt. Then, given the chance and having to burn down the home in Michigan because of black mold, he move to near Crawford. Almost a neighbor to pres. Bush the younger.

Someone close to me hunted with an outfitter down there and got an Aoudad Sheep with his .300 Win Mag. It is a nice trophy in his office.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    "...but remember Colorado is Wyoming's Mexico." Ain't that the truth. I like Wyoming. It's a place where we mix, mingle, and mangle. Fish, fight and fuck. Men are men, and sheep are nervous.

"...but remember Colorado is Wyoming's Mexico." Ain't that the truth. I like Wyoming. It's a place where we mix, mingle, and mangle. Fish, fight and fuck. Men are men, and sheep are nervous.
    That was ba-a-a-a-a-a-d.

I wonder if that stuff works for horseflies. I was setting targets on the 300 yd line at my local range and holy moly, got hit by at least a dozen in less than a minute. At first I thought I'd stirred up some hornets. Those little bastards hurt.
    Well, they are attracted to shit......

• Haha
    Reactions: Ronws and Redmanss
    Don't "shooting centers" make more sense where there's no place to shoot? I would think in such a sparsely populated state, there's be plenty of places to shoot?
    Unless they're building it indoors and out of the wind. :D

Reactions: Bender and 101st
    Don't "shooting centers" make more sense where there's no place to shoot? I would think in such a sparsely populated state, there's be plenty of places to shoot?
    Unless they're building it indoors and out of the wind. :D
    Just because over 50% of the state’s acreage is .gov owned doesn’t always translate into good places to shoot. Most of that BLM land has grazing leases on them and you don’t want to be the guy rocking 220gr near a rancher’s herd. A good organized range center for match and training hosting would be awesome.

Just because over 50% of the state’s acreage is .gov owned doesn’t always translate into good places to shoot. Most of that BLM land has grazing leases on them and you don’t want to be the guy rocking 220gr near a rancher’s herd. A good organized range center for match and training hosting would be awesome.
    I believe those leases also give control of access to holder as well.
    Know b4 you go.....

Reactions: Redmanss
    Know b4 you go.....
    Yep, often is the case. As are petro and mine leases.

Adding wind leases, the latest pain in the fucking ass here gobbling up scores of square miles at a time while slaying animals, disrupting migration and in general fucking up the prairie wherever they’re put up.

Last edited:

Reading all the way to the end, I see now that it's state money, and not a "commercial" investment. So it makes sense.

Reactions: Redmanss

They're supposed to allow access but they usually don't, fences and locked gates are common. Here in AZ they have a 15$ pass for state land access (camping, offroading) and there's always a rancher trying to block the roads.

Know b4 you go.....

They're supposed to allow access if it's public land - state land, blm, national forest whatever. What will happen is the road leading to the public land might go through their actual owned, deeded property so they gate it off for all sorts of reasons. Or they act like it's the Wild West and they own the whole valley, town and all.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    They're supposed to allow access if it's public land - state land, blm, national forest whatever. What will happen is the road leading to the public land might go through their actual owned, deeded property so they gate it off for all sorts of reasons. Or they act like it's the Wild West and they own the whole valley, town and all.
    Nope, not true, atleast here in Colorado. Who ever holds the lease controls access. Some of these leases have been held by the same ranches for decades. Many operations have as much leased ground as deeded, or more. Those leases are transferable with the sale of deeded property.

abn31c answered it best above. The devil is in the details of the lease, and access is limited more often than allowed.

On top of that, quite often those parcels are boxed in with zero access, maybe corner on corner is public, but quite a few hunters find out the hard way that corner hopping is illegal in Wyoming and still considered trespassing. In the end, if your land boxes in public land, that’s all access for you and nobody else short of official business from .gov employees.

abn31c answered it best above. The devil is in the details of the lease, and access is limited more often than allowed.

On top of that, quite often those parcels are boxed in with zero access, maybe corner on corner is public, but quite a few hunters find out the hard way that corner hopping is illegal in Wyoming and still considered trespassing. In the end, if your land boxes in public land, that’s all access for you and nobody else short of official business from .gov employees.

Arizona is a little different I guess, you can get passes to access state land for ~15$. If there’s a gate reporting it to the fish/game/land management usually solves the problem.

Arizona is a little different I guess, you can get passes to access state land for ~15$. If there’s a gate reporting it to the fish/game/land management usually solves the problem.
    This isn't state land, this is BLM leases. Totally different animal.

Even still, if it's boxed in by private land on all sides with no public roads leading to it, it's completely inaccessible by anyone but the surrounding landowners or .gov on official business.

Reactions: Jgunner
    Used to shoot P-dogs near Medicine Bow. Rancher would give us a map of where we could shoot and we could see it was a giant checkerboard of 1 mile square sections of his land and BLM land. Access to the BLM land was only through his property. Only a few fences out there so no way to tell whose land we were on.