• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maybe Sick over selling...

Elite_KG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
LA
Well I started my precision shooting venture about the time I joined here almost three years ago. Not looking to spend a ton of money at first I bought a R700 SPS Light Tactical (85471). The gun shot better than any gun I had ever owned prior. I ended up bedding it in an HS Precision and eventually got a SWFA 5-20. The gun shoots 1/2 - 3/4 MOA regularly.
At the time I bought the 20" SPS-LT, I had been eyeing a 24" 5R but thought it too heavy and the barrel too long. Coming from hunting rifles, it seem such. Ever since I saw the 20" 5R I kinda regretted my original purchase. I really like the stainless steel to boot.
My buddy just bought a 24" 5R and it's a shooter. On average it shoots about like mine on average, but seemingly he has smaller groups more often. This got me thinking hard which usually leads to spending money. It was no different this time.

I recently bought a Bartlein .300 5R stainless barrel fluted, a Stiller Predator action, and a PSV-002 HS Precision in granite. I figure I would build exactly what I now know I want from a .308. I really want to see bug holes at 100 yards more often. Kinda precision hunter style.

So here's where I get kinda ill. I don't really need 2 308's and extra money to offset the initial cost and ammo needed for breaking in a new gun I decided to sell my SPS-LT. I quickly found a semi local buyer. Since I had copper cleaned the barrel on my last trip; it had been about 300 ish rounds. So I needed to re-foul the barrel to ensure it would be shooting normally when I sell.
Went to the range today and shot 4 fouling shots hurled at the 400 yard gong while waiting to set up my targets. Got 1 hit and 3 "near misses". It was pretty windy, so I shot to paper for the fifth. Wouldn't you know the wind died off and the bullet hit about 1" left of dead center, perfect elevation; right to left wind.
I went on to shoot 3 groups only. 1/2", 1/2", and 11/16". I put it up after that.
I feel sick thinking I'm selling a gun that shoots so well to build a custom that "will likely" shoot "marginally" better. Am I sick in the head? A proven shooter, even a factory gun, is hard to part with. Plus I did all the barrel channeling, stock bedding, trigger work, scope rail bedding etc.
I'm really excited about the new build, but it's kinda bitter sweet if this guy buys my gun next week. I guess if he doesn't for any reason I will have my chance to keep it. God forbid the new gun not shoot after I sell the one I have....

Last edited:
Keep it as you know what you have. Either build the other or sell the parts but I'd keep both if possible.

Yuuuuup... Gonna need to keep,the ol' girl if that guy backs out for any reason. I like to believe I'm a man of my word and we have a tentative deal. I guess that's what makes it difficult is he knows he's buying a proven gun, so it will likely sell. Only thing I can think is "oh well, I can always build another shooter." It may take substantially more money, but if that's what it takes then so be it. Live and learn. I'll need to hope for the best with the new build.
I thought some readers on here would fine my predicament interesting if not entertaining in some way.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm curious to hear other opinions on this since I'm in the same boat. I got back into shooting with a 5r, I put a Jewell trigger in it, had the barrel threaded along with a muzzle brake installed, the bolt fluted and a tactical bolt knob installed. It shoots great and I'm not sure I want to get rid of it even though I already have an AI and a custom built .308 on the way. I really don't know whether to sell it or keep it even though it doesn't get shot all that much. If I keep it I am going to get a new stock for it.

Did not realize you had a deal done.
If you already have committed to selling, then you need to keep your word, or ask the buyer if he is willing to allow you to keep it, and not sell.

No problem Bluejazz. I took it as not to sell if the guy doesn't pull through.
I had decided on a new gun as I was shooting the 5R my friend has better. I originally wanted a 5R and felt kinda 2nd chair to my buddies gun. At least with the custom I get everything my way. A slightly different stock, barrel length I want, fluted, and stainless steel. I have a custom barreled 22-250, so I kinda know what to expect. All in all even if it shot the same (I hope I shoots better) I would still have the aesthetics. There is a bit of piece of mind and confidence that comes with a custom to me.
At least if it does sell I know someone got a damn good shooting gun and he can appreciate it for what it is. Me, I always would want a little more...

Keep the rifle. The guy can always buy another rifle. You even taking the time to write this says that you don't want to sell it.

"Look before you leap" applies here.

You wouldn't quit your current job before finding a new job, would you?

Chances are the new Bartlein barreled rifle will easily outshoot the factory remington. Still, don't sell until the new rifle is together and performing.

Keep it if you could but don't dread over it. Looking at your parts list you posted above there's NO WAY the new rifle won't shoot as accurate if not better than the SPS LT. The most important thing is to be sure to give it a Reputable Smith to put it together for you. Trust me, it's Highly Unlikely that you'll come out worse than what you started with. That and a custom build will allow you to build the rifle EXACTLY how you Want/Like it.

If you do decide to keep it then I suggest to Chamber the Bartlein Barrel into a .300 WM instead. Every Riflemen should own at least One LA and On SA! Just get a Long Action Instead.

IMG_20140329_091836780.jpg

Send your parts to Accurate Ordinance and put your worries to rest.

I appreciate all the advice. And yes, taking the time to write here says I don't want to sell it after all. It actually helped just putting it into words. All in all it's just a gun and I got plans for a better one. If the guy backs out, I will have two nice bolts. I guess I was hoping for "forget that gun, the custom will smoke it..." Kinda of talk. There's always that risk of a dud.
As for the smith, it a guy a couple hours drive away recommended by William Roscoe of LA Precision, so I have little worries there. I know it's a bad call about letting a gun go before I see how the new one will perform. The job apology is quite fitting. This guy found out by word of mouth. I hadn't even advertised. Just told a few buddies my "plan" for the new build and at the time selling this one was on my mind. Seemed like a good idea then. Not so much now...my bad.

I would keep both if possible. If not then build the one over a longer period of time, see how she shoots and then decide. That's what I would do if I was able to.

I guess I was hoping for "forget that gun, the custom will smoke it..." Kinda of talk. There's always that risk of a dud.

So far I have not ever read about a rifle with those high quality parts you listed being a dud. I started out the same way with a stock savage rifle that shot real good but not perfect. Now I have 2 custom rifles with a 3rd on the way. The pic above was groups with my accurate ordinance built rifle. ya the group on the right I pulled one but the rifle will group perfectly all day long if I operate it correctly.

Thanks for the reassurance. I can use it. You know you work to get a gun shooting to its potential and then you want more. To get more I have to go custom. It's a little disheartening since the gun I have is the best shooter I've ever owned and built up. Yeah, it's not a custom, but I learned a lot and worked pretty hard to do all the bedding, restocking, scope leveling and trigger work. Hell I even calculated and bedded a straight base to 25 MOA so my first little Leupold would dial out to 1,000. So it's been an experience with this gun. That's hard to replace. I really know this gun in and out. Only time can do that with another one.
Better to move on to better things. That's the only rationalization that helps.

That's a good factory rifle. But a well put together custom should be in the 1/2 MOA range for every single 5 shot group - no exceptions, no "flyers". Sounds like you don't want to sell that gun tho... I'd pay attention to that feeling, because you'll regret it if you ignore it.

Once you get the new rifle, you are going to kick yourself for even thinking about this. Sounds like the new piece is going to be pretty nice. Be sure to send me some pics.

OK I don't know much about Remington and custom rifles, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

However! I do have an opinion. It sounds like your worries are valid, because your really doing 'upgrades' within the same class of rifles. Half moa is great if that is truly what you are getting from this rifle. You will most likely, at best just see marginally better results and possibly the same or worse, if this new one isn't inherently a shooter... In car talk, Your trading your 2006 base corvette for a 2007 corvette z51 edition. Yes it's supposedly better, but nothing to go home and brag about. So there's a big chance your doing alot of shuffling just to change shit up. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you see it for what it is.

If your looking to upgrade then go with time proven platforms, known for their excellence. What this means is getting an AI, dta, gap or one of the very many others. Those still might not surpass the half moa mark, however they offer sufficient advantages in other genres (ruggedness, ergonomics, resale value, reliability and etc). This is a real upgrade, that you will actually feel, sort of speak. Otherwise, you would probably get more bank for your buck just doing part upgraded in what you already have.

Just my .2 cents

Last edited:
Lots of good opinions here. I am hoping for a "no flyer" result. Although I did shoot 3, 3-5 shot groups today with the largest being 11/16". The smallest right at 7/16". That's about all I would ever expect even from a tuned factory gun. However I am hoping for more clovers with shelf match grade ammo. It seems with this gun there is always that one that breaks from the group keeping it from one ragged hole. I do realize I'm trading and 06 vetted for something like an 09 Z06. But the latter will have everything I want. Hopefully like Bryan said I wouldn't even remember feeling torn once the new build is complete. And I'll owe y'all some pics. I'm building the new one up similar to my 22-250. They will almost be identical with the .308 sporting higher quality parts. The 22-250 is on a trued remington action with a button rifled fluted Benchmark barrel. The Stiller/Bartlein combo is even a step up from there.
Bugholes! That's all I want from this gun. Everyone needs a fantasy. I will appreciate the new gun more even if it is only for want it is with possibly marginally improved performance.
PS - the 22-250 is a laser of a round. Pings 400 in the wind like nobody's business. Stuck a yote at 50 yards and cut it a flip. I'm pretty pumped with it.

Last edited:
I had an early Remington 700 BDL Heavy Barreledl Varminter that consistently 0.3-0.5 moa. A friend bugged me about selling it for a few years. I got the bug to have a custom varmint rifle in 22-250 built and did so after selling the Remington. It cost 2x as much as the Remington and never shot any better. Lesson I learned "if it isn't broken don't fix it". I would approach you friend and explain your reluctance to sell your rifle. If he insists on going thru with the sale I guess you will have to sell it. If I was in you friends position I would let the deal go. But that is just me.

Thanks. I may respectfully ask that of him. But ultimately if he insist, I will keep my word even if it costs me a gun. I hope more people would do the same.

Your word and your friendship is more valuable than any gun could ever be. Good luck with your situation.

Here the completed build. No real regrets at this point....

I ended up media blasting the barreled action here at the house. I think it came out very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 17
I sold an accurate gun once and I kick myself every time I think about it. I learned then to never sell a gun I love. New projects are fun but you'll always miss your old favorites.

The new gun looks great. Any range reports?

Yeah, ol'boy snatched it up. This one came together well thus far. I took it out once for zero and barrel break in of sorts. Wind was killer as a front was moving through. It shot very well out to 400 as that's all I attempted. 100 yard zero groups were pretty good 1/2-3/4; I was using up the last of some Hornady match 168. Haven't begun loading myself. Trigger was too light for my comfort and liking. I think I could have been shooting better as anticipation, wind, and trigger were working against my overall performance. Was relieving to put 4 of 4 on at 400, and two other shooting do the same.
I'll try to get a measured accuracy on my bed outing. I was more focused on the barrel and trigger during this trip.

If you like it keep it. If I sell a rifle I like to buy another I may like more I end up kicking myself every time. I sold a police MLR on here last fall and I miss that fucker like a dog misses his nuts. I am going to build another just like it.

However I am hoping for more clovers with shelf match grade ammo. It seems with this gun there is always that one that breaks from the group keeping it from one ragged hole.

break down and check "shelf match ammo" - while consistency is damn good, there will be some with outlier brass/ projectiles / powder charges - hence the fliers, especially when 2 or more variances end up in the same round - ultimately no rifle can overcome velocity changing differences in ammo when shooting at distance

Thanks for the info and advice. I will be starin to load my own pretty soon to reach the gun's potential.

Here the completed build. No real regrets at this point....

I ended up media blasting the barreled action here at the house. I think it came out very well.

Nice. Always been a fan of the stiller action. Also a fan of all stainless and no paint.