• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McGowan barrels any good?

Nope! Called em up and was rather curtly told I have to do it through email, like I was bothering the guy to ask a question
This is where you lost any potential support from me, before I even finished reading your post.
If you cannot understand why any/every change to an order needs to be documented, in writing- then you're not a rational thinker.

McGowen is my primary source of mid-tier barrels, and Dan's a straight-shooter. Given how busy they (and every other barrel maker) are, he understandably doesn't have time to chit-chat. Don't misconstrue being short and to the point, with being rude.

Sometimes there's unexplained issues with emails not getting through, I've had it on rare occasion with a customer. Using an alternate email address usually resolves the problem.

This is where you lost any potential support from me, before I even finished reading your post.
If you cannot understand why any/every change to an order needs to be documented, in writing- then you're not a rational thinker.

McGowen is my primary source of mid-tier barrels, and Dan's a straight-shooter. Given how busy they (and every other barrel maker) are, he understandably doesn't have time to chit-chat. Don't misconstrue being short and to the point, with being rude.

Sometimes there's unexplained issues with emails not getting through, I've had it on rare occasion with a customer. Using an alternate email address usually resolves the problem.
I am quite rational and i generally give people benefit of the doubt The change order was documented in 2 separate emails and a phone call with no responses and a second email address was given and not used and a phone number. If the company is SOO busy as everyone claims then they are making enough money and big enough to hire people to run the correspondence show thats no excuse Amazon is far busier than a barrel manufacturer and they can get it done in this day and age of technology there is not really an excuses for being "short" in a corporate email or even not responding at all. The whole thing has put a bad taste in my mouth and have chosen to cancel my order and go in a different direction with my build. Assuming they even get the email...

I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.

I have gotten 3 and all shoot 1/2 moa. I would stick with the stainless just because the steel bores have issues with pitting which is not an issue with accuracy. I have steel Savage bbls with the same issues. I believe it is the steel mfgs process. The stainless had almost zero copper trace. I would recommend.

So today I stumbled across this (old) thread looking for info on McGowan barrels, now that it’s been a few years, how does everyone’s opinion of McGowan barrel quality (not costumer service) stand? Have the barrels lasted as long as they should have?
-J

So today I stumbled across this (old) thread looking for info on McGowan barrels, now that it’s been a few years, how does everyone’s opinion of McGowan barrel quality (not costumer service) stand? Have the barrels lasted as long as they should have?
-J

Yes. I have went through a few.

Customer service has been good for me also.

-J
Don’t know about their barrels, but I read hit-or-miss. But I do know that if that prolapsed anus is still gunsmithing there, I won’t give them a penny of my money. 10 years later, and I still won’t do business with them after 1 phone call. From what I read, the dude is still there, and still treating customers and potential customers like shit.

Reactions: John Glidewell
I have one from my barrel guy. Shoots good. @FuhQ that is how I feel about Prefered Barrels. Took my money and still no barrel. Fuck that company.

I have one from my barrel guy. Shoots good. @FuhQ that is how I feel about Prefered Barrels. Took my money and still no barrel. Fuck that company.
This is good info to know, as I’ve been going back and forth between @CarbonSix and Preferred, but I’m not a fan of Carbon Six using McGowan blanks. 🫤 I’ll still probably end up with Carbon Six now that I’ve heard this info about Preferred…. Did you get your money back through your CC company?

I would say McGowan is close to Xcaliber as far as quality blanks. I mainly use Xcaliber blanks. My friend has McGowan and spun one up for the Savage shop gun, and it shoots. It looks like they do a nice hand lap to finish them, unlike the very ugly Prefered blanks which are not lapped at all.

I did not get my money back. I took too long between order and getting to the build. It was an Xmas gift for my wife. I posted about it in the Preferd barrel thread. I did file a complaint with BBB but in the end $400 is not worth all the trouble. But those folks are assholes to deal with and liars. Never again. My barrel smith had issues with them too, so it is not isolated.

I ordered a McGowan earlier this year and it was a complete fiasco. Received two barrels that weren't acceptable at all. They did finally refund my money but the whole process took two months. Can search McGowen (with an E!) and see the photos of the horrific crown, uneven rifling and really bad gas port hole. It was a $400+ barrel that looked like a $30 barrel from China.

I think Mcgowen makes a decent barrel blank. But their machine work and customer service are garbage. But my prefit barrels from Preferred Barrels were spot on. They look as good as any work I've had done by well known gunsmiths.

I ordered a McGowan earlier this year and it was a complete fiasco. Received two barrels that weren't acceptable at all. They did finally refund my money but the whole process took two months. Can search McGowen (with an E!) and see the photos of the horrific crown, uneven rifling and really bad gas port hole. It was a $400+ barrel that looked like a $30 barrel from China.

They would not be my choice for AR's.

Their remage barrels have all been shooters for me.

I ordered a blank from Carbon Six that was supposed to be delivered in August. Not a word so far.

I do have a CarbonSix barrel that's a McGowen blank and it's a great barrel. I just wouldn't ever purchase anything from McGowen direct, and especially not an AR barrel.

I have a LR-308 with a custom McGowen 24" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I had this barrel made awhile ago (2016?) and there was quite a long wait for it, due to election year mania.

I have been overall happy with it. The machine work is decent and it shoots well for a semi-auto 6.5 CM (3/4 MOA consistently with handloads). I don't have a borescope so I can't comment on the internal appearance of it, but it cleans easily and doesn't seem to have any fouling issues.

It is a shame to hear about the quality issues that others report, as I would consider replacing it with another when I eventually shoot it out. I wonder if these are more recent in nature.

I've purchased about a dozen blanks from them and they have all machined well and were really good shooters.
No complaints with what I've recieved.

I would stick with the stainless just because the steel bores have issues with pitting which is not an issue with accuracy. I have steel Savage bbls with the same issues. I believe it is the steel mfgs process.

LOL

McGowan are junk mine came with a burr on the crown and can't group for shit