• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen Barrel issues

cowboy_coffee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
Moriarty, NM
Has anyone else had problems with McGowen? I ordered a 6x45 barrel and was told that it would be a 6-8 week wait. 11 weeks later I had not heard from them. I contacted Dan Wynne and I was advised that they had not gotten the reamer in. I had been told by Dan when I ordered the barrel that he was going to buy the reamer. After almost twelve weeks, I find out that he attempted to rent the reamer. I ended up canceling my order since they had no idea when they would get the reamer in stock. The customer service was terrible, and the attitude even worse. I will not ever order another McGowen Barrel.

Re: McGowen Barrel issues

Even waiting for 11 weeks is considered a short wait for barrels these days. When I have placed orders for Krieger and Obermeyer it could take 6 months to a year wait. I have not worked with McGowen but if they can't get a reamer in not to much they can do other send you the blank and you get it chamber by someone else.

Ordered a 300BLK barrel, threads were oversized, can would not fit. Had to have it recut. Gun shoots, but I doubt that I would by another McGowen.

I have ordered dozens of their barrels with great customer service. They shoot amazing. Barrels right now are taking 8-12 weeks with most manufactures. I would never wait for a barrel that would take 6 months or more. To many other great barrel makers out there that are faster to wait on.

Yes have had issues with mcgowen in turn around time and quality of workmenship on some barrels, i.e the threads looked like they were cut with a dremel..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even waiting for 11 weeks is considered a short wait for barrels these days. When I have placed orders for Krieger and Obermeyer it could take 6 months to a year wait. I have not worked with McGowen but if they can't get a reamer in not to much they can do other send you the blank and you get it chamber by someone else.</div></div>

I have never had a Krieger barrel take longer than 12 weeks let alone six months to a year. Did you piss Scott off or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy_Coffee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone else had problems with McGowen? I ordered a 6x45 barrel and was told that it would be a 6-8 week wait. 11 weeks later I had not heard from them. I contacted Dan Wynne and I was advised that they had not gotten the reamer in. I had been told by Dan when I ordered the barrel that he was going to buy the reamer. After almost twelve weeks, I find out that he attempted to rent the reamer. I ended up canceling my order since they had no idea when they would get the reamer in stock. The customer service was terrible, and the attitude even worse. I will not ever order another McGowen Barrel. </div></div>

It can take several months to get a custom reamer... As far as barrels I tpically wait 8 to 12 week to get blanks from the top barrel makers and longer on finished barrels.

I have been using McGowen for my .458 SOCOM barrel blanks (several dozen) and they are very good, high quality and shoot great, single hole group capable.

As far as customer service, I have never had a problem with them. They are about the same as the other barrel makers I have used, none of them give me "routine updates" and all of them are backed up with work.

For a finished and chambered barrel from a top maker three to six months is what you should expect.

Ordered one back in February this year. Was told a 5 week wait and notified to the week it was ready. Shot very well and cleaned up quick. Made two mistakes, one was the contour, went too heavy and didn't like it. The other was letting them ream the barrel, they must use a huge ass reamer as I had very large neck expansion, I never specified so he probably just went with what he had. No problems quality wise though.

Flyingbullseye

Flyingbullseye, Unless our customer specifies a specific reamer such as a match reamer we will use a SAAMI spec reamer. We want everyone to be happy with their barrels and if you want something a little tighter please be sure to mention that when you order.

Dan
McGowen Precision Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes have had issues with mcgowen in turn around time and quality of workmenship on some barrels, i.e the threads looked like they were cut with a dremel.. </div></div>

Actually every thread we cut is done on a CNC lathe. If you have any issues with the threads please contact us so that we can figure out what your issue is.

Dan
McGowen Precision Barrels

I have ordered more than one and know several other guys I shoot with that have used Mcgowen barrels. They shoot as good as ony other I have seen and the customer service has been great. Would not hesitate to order another from them!

McGowen has VERY reasonable labor prices. A member on another forum posted the prices he's paying to have a rifle rebarreled and the whole deal fluted barrel and all is costing less than what most smiths want just to true the action and install the barrel.

I have no personal experience with McGowen but from what I've been reading their quality and workmanship seem to be good. Also they seem to have good customer service. It's good enough for me to take a chance with them and I consider myself very picky. Even if it isn't as they should from what I've been reading about their customer service tells me they will make it right. Once its right its not like a scope or anything that has a high potential to break again so at that price I wouldn't mind if I had to send it back.

I've only ordered one barrel (1:7 twist, #7 contour, .223, prefit savage) but it was a great experience and Dan helped out with my MANY questions.

Will use Mcgowen again.

never had any problems with the barrels I have from them. They usually are finished early before the quoted date, but my last one was almost to the exact date quoted. Great customer service from them also, questions answered quickly and prompt shipping after completion. I am planning on ordering another 308 barrel from them soon.

I have spoken to 2 smiths about a future build and both said the same thing they will not use Mcgowen or ER Shaw.

Here was my issue...Glad to see that Dan is now on here from McGowen. I was told a 6-8 week lead time and that the reamer was going to be purchased. At week 11, after I called them twice to figure out what was going on with my barrel. I was then told that they decided not to order the reamer, but rent it instead and that it had not come in from the rental company (BTW if they would have ordered it PTG, Midway and a couple others had in stock). I really don't like being told one thing, and then another when things haven't worked out....a lot like being lied to. I have two other McGowen barrels that shoot...the problem is they just lost a customer for lack of customer service.... The reamer was a 6x45 and most other barrel makers actually have that reamer in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGowen Precision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes have had issues with mcgowen in turn around time and quality of workmenship on some barrels, i.e the threads looked like they were cut with a dremel.. </div></div>

Actually every thread we cut is done on a CNC lathe. If you have any issues with the threads please contact us so that we can figure out what your issue is.

Dan
McGowen Precision Barrels </div></div>

Funny that it is "your issue" not an issue with their barrel...

got a Savage you can shoot right now Cowboy......CHEAP! Don't even have to put a barrel oneem er nuthin'!!!

I got a savage, a remmy and a thompson that all shoot....was just wanting a 6x45 to play with...thanks for the offer though...might just borrow it for TPRC

Lol.... sure, you can borrow it again, or you can buy it.... again.... choice is yours! ha! ha!

This was posted on another forum that I asked about McGowen from a person who had ordered a McGowen Barrel...pretty much sums up the issue:

"Any company can make a mistake. It's how they go about correcting it that defines them. I ordered a 338 Edge barrel from McGowen and got anything but what I ordered. All I did was email McGowen and they sent out UPS to pick up the barrel the next business day at no charge. I got the correct barrel in a month."

I just wish that McGowen would have attempted to make it right instead of just blowing me off....that's my main issue...

I have 3 McGowen Barrels while they seem to gain pressure faster than my Brux, Obermeyer, and Krigers. They shoot well enough and I cant say that I have had a problem.

When I talked to them there I was treeted well and respected. They tried to give me all the attension that I required in answering my questions evan with the time being needed elsewhere to get there product out.

On a rating of 1-10 I personaly would give there barrels a High 7 to a 8.

On there customer service I would rate it at a 6.5 slightly better than some but not as bad as others.

We all want to feel Like we are first in line and thats just human nature. If there was a issue with the reamer yes they could have rented it. (Not a good choice in my personal exp.) But waiting on a company like PGT or the other reamer makers is common. Sure Midway and others might have it in stock but they have a price mark up to cover there cost and shipping. To me its not cost effictive for a small company to spend more money than nessary to put the same product out.

I have had MANY dealings with Brux and Norman and Ken are like family. but they still need time to make there product, (a exceptional one in my oppenion.)

In this business Customer service can and will make or break a company. I would personaly not be able to rate Brux's customerservice because I would Not be sure that I would be consittered unbais. But it would be Verry High on the scail.

While I have nothing to loose in your disision weather to purchase from McGowen again or not. I wish that you had a better exp with the good people at McGowen.

This sums it up pretty good...saw it today and couldn't resist.

IMG_20120124_155339.jpg

It sounds like you're blowing all this out of proportion, they were having problems getting a reamer, told you about it and told you they would work on it when the reamer comes in, and you decided you didn't want to keep waiting, sounds like you are just very impatient to me. They answered your call, told you what the problem is and I'm pretty sure they would have gotten it done for you, I've read great things about them, which is why my next barrel is going to be a McGowen barrel. 11 weeks is still no where near the wait for some other barrels, took my father 5 months to get his (forgot what company he ordered from though), you really need to get some patience, and as stated above, learn to read your own sig.

Today we have many, many choices for great barrels. McGowen barrels are at the bottom of this very long list. Thanks me later

I won't elaborate any on experiences that were told to me by other parties or hearsay, so this is my personal experience and opinion based on 40 yrs. experience as a tool and die maker/rifle builder.

A customer was looking for a budget Savage build for his son, so I took the job knowing a high end cut rifled barrel and custom tight neck reamer couldn't be in the budget. Many years back I've used a couple of Ed Mcgowens barrels with good success on bench rest rifles....I guess I let the name give me a level of comfort.

To be fair, I would guess one of their blanks would be a very decent barrel for the price...provided a qualified accuracy gunsmith did the threading, chambering and crowning for their drop in barrels. This is not the case, it was even admitted to me that an apprentice was doing the chamber work...and apparently, there was no highly skilled accuracy gunsmith there to teach him the ropes.

Our first .223 barrel was a nine twist for heavy bullets, but it came throated for .50 grain bullets.LOL....a 69 gr. bullet would have to be seated well past the neck shoulder junction and into the boiler room to even chamber. I was told they chambered all twist rates with the same throat...I had to laugh, because who on earth would order a 9 twist for 50 gr. bullets. If you are going to offer a drop in barrel in different twist rates, you better have the appropriate reamers for the required throating. The whole point of a drop in barrel is to not require additional gunsmithing or have to purchase throating reamers. Well, that's funny enough, but the next flaw I spotted was mind blowing...the crown was totally destroyed by some barrel polishing gadget they bought from Brownells and didn't know how to properly use. They put the hardened 60 degree centers into the freshly cut crown and it pushed a large burr all the way around the inside of the crown, and it was shipped to me in that condition.

Dan was very apologetic, and agreed to pay shipping and correct the throat and re-machine the crown. I must say that from a cosmetic point of view..the barrel was very nicely finished, marked and threaded. Dan requested that I send a couple rounds with the bullets seated at desired depth to gauge the throating as would be expected...and I did so in a heat sealed plastic bag.

The barrel was returned sooner than expected, showing that Dan was trying to please us...and I commend that. Now the horror story begins. I looked the barrel over and noticed the same crown damage as last time...even slightly worse!..I couldn't believe it! It gets even more bazaar...the empty test rounds with seated bullets were returned still sealed in the same plastic bag and were never opened. Now I'm thinking OMG!....you guessed it, the barrel was now throated so deep it was ruined. You couldn't reach the lands with a bullet still in the case neck
at all...I would have needed 160gr. .224 bullet to reach now, and I don't think they make such an animal....can you say major freebore? LOL

At this point, My customer is highly pissed, and I'm pulling my hair out. I reluctantly called Dan about the new and old problems, and he informed me that again an apprentice did the work and he would try to correct it again. I'm thinking the ability just isn't there, so I'm just wasting my time...but I agree to send it back yet another time.

Again Dan's speedy attention has another barrel back in my hands in short order, and this time I'm sure he has put an experienced gunsmith on the job to save any more embarrassment....Well, no such luck! I absolutely can not believe what I pulled out of that tube this time..IT JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS! I'm now thinking this is some sort of joke and the real barrel will show up tomorrow.

This third barrel was a total mess. A complete thread was ripped out of the barrel shank where somebody disengaged the CNC threading machine in mid cut, The crown was just as messed up as the last two...BUT THIS TIME WE HAVE EVEN MORE!...The chamber is machined off center, and runs out eleven thousands from the bore...How do you do that with the bore as a pilot hole?...I don't think I could if I tried. I'm thinking OMG, what is the reamer pilot doing while the back end of it is wiggling around eleven thousands. I take my borescope for a look, and just as I suspected, pilot pressure marks in the lands just ahead of the throat....another fine barrel totally butchered.

This time my customer is absolutely red faced livid and starts screaming "we have run out of time and have a dog town trip planned and paid for, screw that piece of junk in the rifle and let's see if it will shoot". I followed orders, but didn't expect much.....didn't get much either...a factory Savage barrel would have bettered it easy under the conditions.

I did call Dan again and believe it or not...he was willing to try again, but indicated that we might be too picky! LOL He informed me that they didn't do accuracy gunsmithing. I informed him that if you claim to make accuracy drop in barrels...you have no other choice. If you can't do it...don't offer drop in barrels until you can. A barrel in no better than the machining quality used to install it.

I didn't bother sending the third barrel back, because I'm afraid I would have thrown it through my TV set on the next trip. It would have been pointless anyway because it's not that they don't want to or try to do the work...they just don't have the ability or tooling beyond just making barrel blanks....chambering and fitting is another highly skilled trade altogether.

I just call it a lesson learned. I later removed the barrel and bought my customer a new blank out of my pocket and chambered, threaded and crowned it.....now she's shootin bugholes.

If the bad barrel had been a fourteen twist, I could have made maybe a barrel for a XP 100 or something, but as it is, I just used the steel for making straight line seater dies.....expensive steel, but what can you do?

Hopefully, someone has realized that a major change is in order for the barrel fitting department, I can't see how this could go on forever. Dan is a nice guy that really wants to please his customers...I can tell that and wish him the best. I also wish a qualified accuracy gunsmith applies for a job in his shop and gets hired!

My Dad has a McGowen 6.5x55 drop in for his Savage, got it about three years ago.
No issues whatsoever, rifle shoots very well.

I used Lothar Walther for my barrel. VERY nice tube, very well made.

I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.