• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McGowen Prefit Beware

Yes no complaints from me for McGowen completely correcting their mistakes. Would it have been better with no returns sure but they resolved the issues at their expense.

Reactions: 260284 and Ksracer
I've received my 7mm-08 Tikka prefit from McGowen and it headspaced as it should. Send it out to LRI to jazz it up with some flutes. Will see how it shoots.
9B1E25BA-C912-4C80-AA52-1A411A0FE9FF.jpeg

I've used a bunch of their barrels and just ordered another last night.

May be a case of "piss me off and 10000 will hear, make me happy and 10 will hear".

They used to do proof, and now they do carbon six blanks. I'm pretty sure they're decent at making blanks for anyone concerned.

So far they're the only maker that hasn't screwed up a thread for me. I have had more than 1 cut at the major diameter for the minor.

There's also always the chance with a production action that it's off .004, making all your measurements wrong. I assume that's why very few will do a Tikka pre-fit without measuring it the first time.

I love Tikkas and have several. I also know they're not guaranteed .001 like a custom from defiance, so I wouldn't be upset at .007 off. I'd have .003 taken off the face and call it a day.

Dans a prick and they’re CS sucks. Barrels / smith work ain’t any better. Too many legit smiths and barrel makers out there with outstanding CS to even contemplate using them or their barrels.

Nothing spectacular about them. They’re bottom of the barrel. Get what you pay for.

Damn it, I had hoped it was just me.

Here is some more. Threads on the right are on a McGowan remage barrel. It was a replacement for a barrel with drastically undersized muzzle thread. Pretty much the loosest thread fit I have ever seen, with this barrels fit to the action being high on the list also. And I worked on trucks and tractors that farmers and truckers worked on, so I have seen some shit. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The next one is a 20 practical AR-15 barrel. Even with a small base die, brass fit is pretty snug. You can see the pin in the extension was way too long. The muzzle threads are questionably tight, as are the muzzle threads on the first barrel. The first barrel also has no crown.{just a paint line}

I am kind of in the same spot. I don't even know if I trust them to fix it. Maybe they would just replace it with a blank. Or maybe a 6mm-300PRC. That way I could toast in 400 rounds and feel like I got something out of it, but not have to deal with it long. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 260284
I've ordered a couple of blanks from them. Hopefully won't run into QA issues ...
Update. 3 out of 4 blanks are unusable, wrong contour, wrong length. Never doing business with these guys again

I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.

I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels perform, because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His customer service skills, communication skills, and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advice to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.
Mine lucked out I guess but I’ve read this before unfortunately.

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I just went through. There are plenty of other barrel makers out there that will "earn" your business.

That has been my unfortunate experience. Lesson learned, never again. I went with them because I couldn’t find a 450 blank for a 450 bushmaster project with the usual guys I deal with (Krieger, Bartlein, Benchmark and IBI). But yeah pretty much everything went wrong with the order: wrong length, wrong contour, the borescope was a horror show ... and they’re not shooting well right now ... what a waste of time and money.

I'll comment on this thread since it's the most recent OP as well.

My 500 S&W blank was from them, just a blank though, gunsmith did the rest, 4" barrel with a brake on it to finish at 5", and it isn't a gentle gun.

Faster 1/12 twist so the short barrel would stabilize the heavies better and all has been good, cleans the lead out nice too, hardcasts are about all I shoot. Though I do tend to clean often, 5 rounds or so...

Gunsmith didn't have any issue with the quality of the barrel.

I'll comment on this thread since it's the most recent OP as well.

My 500 S&W blank was from them, just a blank though, gunsmith did the rest, 4" barrel with a brake on it to finish at 5", and it isn't a gentle gun.

Faster 1/12 twist so the short barrel would stabilize the heavies better and all has been good, cleans the lead out nice too, hardcasts are about all I shoot. Though I do tend to clean often, 5 rounds or so...

Gunsmith didn't have any issue with the quality of the barrel.

Glad to see McGowen can get atleast 4” of barrel right..