• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan fiberglass patch kit questions

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
I got a patch kit in the mail today, no instructions, two bottles, one full of clear liquid, one half full, clear liquid. Small container with pigment, one bag of fiberglas and one white bag of silica. Now how do I use it, which one would be the hardener, which is the resin, what would be the mixing ratio, its a very small patch around the tang area.
Thanks Marty

Re: McMillan fiberglass patch kit questions

From what you describe, I would say a 2:1 ratio with the more full bottle being the resin and the lesser being the hardner.

Mix the resin
lay the glass
blot the resin on it til all the air is out from between the glass and stock
let dry
sand

I think it is 7 to 1 by weight. The heaver of the two would be one and the lighter would be 7. For minor fill use the fiber dust. For large breaks use the long fiber. Mix colors slow because it will be to dark. P.S. mix fiber about like tooth paste in jell coat. But you could call Dick Davis at McMillan to check this out.

mjh,

send me a pm with your email address, i'll send you the instructions.