• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan M40a1's w/ MST-100

Re: McMillan M40a1's w/ MST-100

The rifles were originally scheduled to be delivered in December according to McMillan. Story is that they had difficulty getting the finish to work on the barrel and receiver. Seems strange, the rifles have been made for years with a finish. A company that makes stocks and rifles must really be having trouble with this one.

Yes, I originally ordered my m40a1 from Mcmillan back in Nov of 2010. Was told the rifle would be delivered around Christmas time 2010.

After hitting May 2011, with no McMillan initiated communication...I decided to cancel my order. Was told in Feb and again in May that they, McMillan, were having trouble with the finish. Was disappointed that no progress had happened during the 3 month period.

Still have not received my 3k refund check??

Hopefully it will arrive soon.

I had really been looking forward to getting my rifle. The rifle on the website video and stills looks impressive.

IMG_5638.JPG

1982 Law Enforcement M40A1

McMillan has delivered on their promise to produce an M40A1 Commemorative. I have received #4 of 20 and it is as advertised. The fit and finish is good. The metal finish is even, smooth, and consistent in color. It will shoot as good as it looks. Half-inch, 100yd, 5-shot groups are not a problem with this rifle. Needless to say, it is no longer unfired. The cold, clean-bore shot and following shots print together.

In 1982, I purchased a law enforcement M40A1 with a Unertl 10x. That rifle still has the original stock, barrel and scope. It was stolen years ago and had been in water but was recovered. The rifle shows wear as might be expected. After being in water, the scope was reconditioned by USO and put back on the rifle. It still does what it was designed to do.

The McMillan rifle is true to the design. The finished color might be different, the scope is updated, and no smear stock, but my two are a matched pair as far as I am concerned. The returned stock that accompanied the rifle shows its use. It is not in bad shape for a working stock. The bottom metal matches and matches the numbered stock. The rifle shown above is my 1982 M40A1. Below is my McMillan M40A1. I have included photographs comparing the main features of both rifles.

- Weasel

IMG_5657.JPG
McMillan M40A1 Commemorative

IMG_5640.JPG

IMG_5659.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG
1982 M40A1 muzzle

IMG_5663.JPG
McMillan M40A1 muzzle

Yea Im jealous man. Great to have two of them. What does your return stock look like, the one that came with your new M40a1?

They did a nice job, congrats on your new stick

Nice comaparison pics & write-up Weasel.

The only real difference I can see is you have an earlier smear stock, an actual Unertl scope, and the McMillan produced rifle has the correct thumb relief at the rear of the port and maybe the correct style stampings (I can't tell from these pics though). Does your 1982 build have the mag box welded to the receiver like the McMillan one does?

IMG_5651.JPG

I'd be very happy to have both of those rifles in my stable. It's really cool that they both can shoot as well as they look. Congratulations.