• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan MK15

KillerK

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2021
Alaska
Trying to gain some knowledge behind the McMillan 50 BMG. Looking to clear up service dates and designations as well as standard equipment or components on them.

When did it change from the M88 to MK15 MOD 0 and what changes took place? Seem like Fisher brakes are the standard but also see another brake, Think its NEAR Manufacturing? KAC NV bridge on most as well.

I've seen both stocks shown below, but the adjustable comb is far more popular. Is the other correct?

Thanks for the help.

MK 15 mod 0.jpg

MK_15_MOD_0_SASR.jpg

Last edited:
When did it change from the M88 to MK15 MOD 0 and what changes took place?

All I know is the M88 was a single shot rifle used in Operation Desert Storm circa 91.’ (They had black McMillan stocks). At some point in the 1990s they were updated by Crane to a repeater action w/ a 5-rd magazine, and I heard that almost all parts were basically changed except the old 16x Leupold scope was retained, and the 1960s era M14A1 bipod which was modified for the M88, was also retained. I don’t know when the Mk 15 Mod 0 designation occurred.

Attached are pics from Feb 1991 with an M88, and also a picture from ST6 apparently from 1998, and you can see the upgrade had taken place by 1998, with the repeater action in a tan stock. Both rifles still have the Leupold Mk 4, fixed 16x scopes, but later pic has a SIMRAD cap. Based on 3rd pic, the Mk 15 Mod 0 manual, it still had a 16x scope as standard, but operator's of course swapped optics. I think that configuration was used by some EOD guys in Iraq and Afghanistan (see 4th pic of what I think the caption refers to as training of EOD personnel). During this era there were advancements of NV gear and associated rails, and it seems the Mk 15s got NV rails at some point after that 2009 manual was printed.

The last pic is the Mk 15 Mod 1 manual, which is dated 2014, so my guess is some of the Mod 0s were re-built (or replaced) w/ Mod 1s around that time. I have not really studied these big 50 BMG rifles, so that's about all I know re general timelines and overall evolution, but I suspect small changes re daytime optics, rings, and NV gear occurred during the 201Xs, depending on the mission and perhaps operator preferences.

Fyi: NightForce won its first contract with Crane/ SOCOM in mid-2005, so shortly thereafter is when the NF NXS scopes show up on some sniper rifles like the Mk 11 and Mk 13. They won the second contract in 2010, and even more variations of NF scopes were then available to SOCOM, so perhaps the Mk 15 started getting Mil-SPEC or NAV-SPEC NF scopes around that time as well, as reflected in the two pics in original post.

Attachments

• USA_Today_Feb_1991_Desert_Storm_Navy_M14&M88.jpg
    USA_Today_Feb_1991_Desert_Storm_Navy_M14&M88.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Mk15 circa 1998 ST6.jpg
    Mk15 circa 1998 ST6.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 391
  • Mk 15 manual.jpg
    Mk 15 manual.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Mk 15 Mod 1 manual_2014.png
    Mk 15 Mod 1 manual_2014.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
@Random Guy has the history laid out, so I'll just post pics of mine. First up is my Mk15 Mod 0 kit. The Mod 0 has a few variations, the earliest ones didn't have an adjustable cheekpiece and didn't have the nightvision mount. My kit came later, it has an adjustable cheekpiece and a Crane made nightvision mount. The Crane made nightvision mounts were pretty bad, so eventually they had Knight’s Armament make some for the Mod 0's (I also have a spare KAC mount that I keep with this kit). These used the original M88 receivers:

WpRoCBc.jpeg

YdKeQmn.jpeg

D2ok9yd.jpeg

The Mod 0's were then rebuilt into the Mod 1 rifles. The receivers are just about impossible to wear out, so original M88 receivers are now Mod 1's. Crane has also ordered more receivers, the newer ones are marked slightly differently. There's also a few variations of the Cadex chassis, modifications/improvements have been ongoing.

My rifle is built on a real overrun M88 receiver, only 4 of these receivers are known to exist outside the military. Three have been built into Mod 1's, one is going to be built into a Mod 0. This is also the most current chassis revision. This Mod 1 is as legit as you can get without enlisting:

1I7cVti.jpeg

z3SIv3C.jpeg

b0lBHTQ.jpeg

7JmfjKC.jpeg

dOGT7I9.jpeg

All I know is the M88 was a single shot rifle used in Operation Desert Storm circa 91.’ (They had black McMillan stocks). At some point in the 1990s they were updated by Crane to a repeater action w/ a detachable magazine, and I heard that almost all parts were basically changed except the old 16x Leupold scope was retained, and the 1960s era M14A1 bipod which was modified for the M88, was also retained. I don’t know when the Mk 15 Mod 0 designation occurred.

Attached are pics from Feb 1991 with an M88, and also a picture from ST6 apparently from 1998, and you can see the upgrade had taken place by 1998, with the repeater action in a tan stock. Both rifles still have the Leupold Mk 4, fixed 16x scopes, but later pic has a SIMRAD cap. Based on 3rd pic, the Mk 15 Mod 0 manual, it still had a 16x scope as standard, but operator's of course swapped optics. I think that configuration was used by some EOD guys in Iraq and Afghanistan (see 4th pic of what I think the caption refers to as training of EOD personnel). There was a lot of advancements of the NV gear and associated rails, and it seems the Mk 15s got NV rails at some point after that 2009 manual was printed.

The last pic is the Mk 15 Mod 1 manual, which is dated 2014, so my guess is some of the Mod 0s were re-built (or replaced) w/ Mod 1s around that time. I have not really studied these big 50 BMG rifles, so that's about all I know re general timelines and overall evolution, but I suspect small changes re daytime optics, rings, and NV gear occurred during the 201Xs, depending on the mission and perhaps operator preferences.

Fyi: NightForce won its first contract with Crane/ SOCOM in mid-2005, so shortly thereafter is when the NF NXS scopes show up on some sniper rifles like the Mk 11 and Mk 13. They won the second contract in 2010, and even more variations of NF scopes were then available to SOCOM, so perhaps the Mk 15 started getting Mil-SPEC or NAV-SPEC NF scopes around that time as well, as reflected in the two pics in original post.

Good information, Thank you!

@Random Guy has the history laid out, so I'll just post pics of mine. First up is my Mk15 Mod 0 kit. The Mod 0 has a few variations, the earliest ones didn't have an adjustable cheekpiece and didn't have the nightvision mount. My kit came later, it has an adjustable cheekpiece and a Crane made nightvision mount. The Crane made nightvision mounts were pretty bad, so eventually they had Knight’s Armament make some for the Mod 0's (I also have a spare KAC mount that I keep with this kit). These used the original M88 receivers:

WpRoCBc.jpeg

YdKeQmn.jpeg

D2ok9yd.jpeg

The Mod 0's were then rebuilt into the Mod 1 rifles. The receivers are just about impossible to wear out, so original M88 receivers are now Mod 1's. Crane has also ordered more receivers, the newer ones are marked slightly differently. There's also a few variations of the Cadex chassis, modifications/improvements have been ongoing.

My rifle is built on a real overrun M88 receiver, only 4 of these receivers are known to exist outside the military. Three have been built into Mod 1's, one is going to be built into a Mod 0. This is also the most current chassis revision. This Mod 1 is as legit as you can get without enlisting:

1I7cVti.jpeg

z3SIv3C.jpeg

b0lBHTQ.jpeg

7JmfjKC.jpeg

dOGT7I9.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your photos. That MOD 1 is a sweet build! I'd like to obtain a MOD 0 like you have or build one. The correct receiver may prove difficult to find. Makes sense that I am seeing rifles pop up for sale with no receivers if they are getting repurposed into MOD 1s

Last edited:
Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Makes sense that I am seeing rifles pop up for sale with no receivers if they are getting repurposed into MOD 1s
Just for clarification, you will not see any former Navy Mk 15 receivers for sale. Crane’s SOP is to destroy via an industrial shredder any serialed numbered rifle receivers once they became unserviceable. (The industrial shredder is at their facility in Indiana where the rifles are built and serviced). The receivers are never sold.

USMCSGT0331 got *extremely* lucky with a few extra/ over-run actions that McMillan apparently made when Crane ordered some new receivers for the Mod 1 program. For everyone else, to build one of these Mk 15 Mod 0 rifles relatively “correct-ish” requires hunting down a used civilian McMillan 50 BMG rifle to get the receiver and bolt as the donor action, or order one from McMillan and wait until they make a batch. Not an easy task or inexpensive proposition, so good hunting if you pursue one of these builds. They are impressive.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, you will not see any former Navy Mk 15 receivers for sale. Crane’s SOP is to destroy via an industrial shredder any serialed numbered rifle receivers once they became unserviceable. (The industrial shredder is at their facility in Indiana where the rifles are built and serviced). The receivers are never sold.

USMCSGT0331 got *extremely* lucky with a few extra/ over-run actions that McMillan apparently made when Crane ordered some new receivers for the Mod 1 program. For everyone else, to build one of these Mk 15 Mod 0 rifles relatively “correct-ish” requires hunting down a used civilian McMillan 50 BMG rifle to get the receiver and bolt as the donor action. Not an easy task or inexpensive proposition, so good hunting if your pursue one of these builds. They are impressive.

I’m ok with just finding a period correct receiver. I don’t need it to be serialized, but that would be cool. I appreciate the knowledge. It’s very helpful.

WpRoCBc.jpeg

YdKeQmn.jpeg

D2ok9yd.jpeg

1I7cVti.jpeg

z3SIv3C.jpeg

b0lBHTQ.jpeg

7JmfjKC.jpeg

dOGT7I9.jpeg
that is a nice Mod1 setup. I am working on version now. What muzzle device and bipod did you see in service? I got the name of a Candian muzzle device at one time. I have ordered up some TAC 50s, but now I am wondering if they understand I need TAC50s without a top rail. Everything .50 cal moves at a snails pace with manufacturers.

WpRoCBc.jpeg

YdKeQmn.jpeg

D2ok9yd.jpeg

1I7cVti.jpeg

z3SIv3C.jpeg

b0lBHTQ.jpeg

7JmfjKC.jpeg

dOGT7I9.jpeg
Here is a photo of your mk15-0 in theater. u can see it here with an older stock -

65d866657fe5d7c07287a928bdee9d8c99b3689b7473f2a5d4b3b8dc0425a78c.jpg

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I’m needing to know if the barrels on the mod 1 were left nitrided, or coated over the nitriding.

Gents,

Good afternoon!

Wondering if anyone could help me out with the Spigot Style M2 Bipod Mount for the Tac50 / MK15 MOD 0.

I can't find one anywhere nor can I find photos. I have everything else I need, just looking for the actual spigot mount, drawings of it, or even photos and dimensions to have one machined.

Any help here would be tremendously appreciated!

Best,
Clark

Gents,

Good afternoon!

Wondering if anyone could help me out with the Spigot Style M2 Bipod Mount for the Tac50 / MK15 MOD 0.

I can't find one anywhere nor can I find photos. I have everything else I need, just looking for the actual spigot mount, drawings of it, or even photos and dimensions to have one machined.

Any help here would be tremendously appreciated!

Best,
Clark
on mk15-0, the bipod mount ties into the recoil lug. The lug / mount was something made by crane