• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan order, spacer system or Decelator pad?

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
I just ordered a McMillan A3 for a Savage .223 build. I have some time to fine tune the order. Should I go with the spacer system or the Decelerator pad?

I did not order the adjustable comb, as this will only have a 40mm obj. scope on it. Any recommendations? The rifle will be for multi-positional shooting and some tactical comps.

-Steve

Re: McMillan order, spacer system or Decelator pad?

McMillan has their lead times considerably shorter now than they had been a few years ago. Usually a change order can be done up until the stock is in the mold from what I recall.

I would probably go with the spacer system on any of the A2 through A5 stocks. I would also likely want the adjustable comb as well since it can't really be added later in case you end up needing it. It does all add up in $$$ though.

I bought a stock used here on the hide for my build. It did not have the adjustable cheekpeice and it really does affect my cheek weld. I ordered an Eagle pack in hopes that it raises it enough because currently I am way too low on the stock. I would say an adjustable cheek piece it a must have. The adjustable LOP would be nice but not as important. The standard 13 1/2 with the decell pad fits my body well. If money is not an a big deal then I would get both. But I really really wish it had an adjustable cheek peice. So much so that if the Eagle pack does not work out I will order another stock.

I was in the same boat; my stock is currently at McMillian having a Spacer System installed.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a stock used here on the hide for my build. It did not have the adjustable cheekpeice and it really does affect my cheek weld. I ordered an Eagle pack in hopes that it raises it enough because currently I am way too low on the stock. I would say an adjustable cheek piece it a must have. The adjustable LOP would be nice but not as important. The standard 13 1/2 with the decell pad fits my body well. If money is not an a big deal then I would get both. But I really really wish it had an adjustable cheek peice. So much so that if the Eagle pack does not work out I will order another stock. </div></div>

What size scope are you using? How close to the barrel is it?

I was hoping to avoid the cost, complexity, and weight of an adjustable comb...

My GAP has an A5 with saddle cheekpiece which is great, but I'm going to be installing the spacer system. Don't forget all the flushcups you think you might need/want. Get that stuff now - you won't regret it later.

I just found out that the Terry Cross hardware is only $50, or $125 with labor. Looks like I will should ask McMillian to give me the cheek piece separate, and install the TC system later.

Thinking more and more about the LOP...adjustable would be nice to try.

For "multi-positional" shooting you will probably want a slightly shorter LOP for a lot of prone shooting and a slightly longer one for a lot of off-hand or setting work. Get the spacer system. Same with the cheekpiece, lower for prone and higher for offhand. Get it.

P.S. McMillans new "clamp-bar" system is only $116 installed and the lateral adjustment accesses from the top instead of the bottom.