• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Stock

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I just ordered a CF Mcmillan stock. I do long range shooting out to 1000y and I also hunt with it. Just curious, but reading their website and research they are saying there is no accuracy to be gained by having a gunsmith bed it. Have you guys noticed the same or? Just curious what you guys do or have seen personally in regards to bedding it and accuracy? Just wondering if I messed up by not going with a manners w/ mini chassis?

I have always used HS Precision w full bedding block, Manners w Mini chassis or a chassis. Torque them properly and the accuracy is repeatable. I believe bedding after time will deteriorate.

My rifle isn't glasses bed. My McMillan just has aluminum pillars and torqued in. And I get this kind of groups. Shoot it unbedded if it's to your standards leave it. If not try bedding

Attachments

• 20181108_193036.jpg
    20181108_193036.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 17
Bedding a McMillan is an easy job. There is only upside. I simply do it before shooting the rifle. Takes one evening to do it and some time on a second evening to clean it up.

Vigildom : you just bolted it up to their torque specs and went? I am getting the cf so I guess they install the pillars

Reactions: vigildom7
I have grayboe stocks with pillars. Torque and go. No bedding. No reason to.

Bedding if done incorrectly can negatively affect accuracy. Done right and What you will gain is repeatability in removing/installing the action. I haven't noticed a sizeable accuracy difference shooting a mcmillan with or without bedding...just zero repeatability.

Mini chassis or not I still prefer the feel of a bedded action...makes the whole rifle feel more solid.

Mine needed bedding, but afterwards it's a consistent <0.5" rifle.

Bedding if done incorrectly can negatively affect accuracy. Done right and What you will gain is repeatability in removing/installing the action. I haven't noticed a sizeable accuracy difference shooting a mcmillan with or without bedding...just zero repeatability.

Mini chassis or not I still prefer the feel of a bedded action...makes the whole rifle feel more solid.

Doubt I will take the action off and if I do I'm fine with sighting it in again. So just install it unbedded and go?

There’s no harm in trying it unbedded first. Chances are it’ll be fine. Install action and bottom metal in the stock with the screws loose, hit the butt of the stock on the ground a few times to seat the recoil lug, torque action screws. I like 60 inch pounds on Remington’s.

For what it is worth-

I have had two guns that benefited greatly after bedding.

1. Was a custom magnum that was moving in the mini- chassis- LRI did the work and it went from 1/2-3/4 groups to a one hole gun.

2. Was an AIAX that I dropped while climbing a fence, from the top above my head of all things down about 7’ landing squarely on a flat surface of a stump at the Snipers Hide Cup- of course it lost zero. You could see the dent in the Chasis / action interface.

But even when I came home and spun a new barrel on it did not shoot as it should. Spartan bedded it and presto—

So plus another vote to bed if you arn’t getting what you want, are taking your action in and out or just want insurance.

one side of the Hide says go with a chassis, the other side says go with a bedded stock and then there is the Manners mini chassis... "The best of both worlds".

I'm never going to be able to make a decision.

one side of the Hide says go with a chassis, the other side says go with a bedded stock and then there is the Manners mini chassis... "The best of both worlds".

I'm never going to be able to make a decision.

You might end up bedding both - Both issues I had was with the aluminum - My Manners and Mc Millians Stocks bedded - never an issue.

In general we first decide what feels best when we are behind them -- Stock or Chassis. Then if you need some extra modularity like add in weights etc.. but bedding should be on your radar either way..

You are already 99% the way through your decision tree anyway.. Have the thing bedded and sleep better :)

Id pick the stock you like best. If its without a chassis shoot it first and see how it goes, if you feel it isnt shooting up to par then either send it out to be bedded or bed it yourself if you have some confidence. Buy it with pillars pre-installed , if you end up getting it bedded they can either use them or punch them out and use bigger ones if that's their practice. If you bed it you wont have to worry about pillars.

Also, not all actions fit the mini chassis perfect, couple of threads have popped up that require a rear pillar installed and some have bedded lugs or full actions also. Not the majority but still also a possibility pending your action and its fit with the chassis.

Me personally i prefer the feeling of a mcmillan, just fits me better and feels better. Also a 1 to 1 bedded fit will in my mind always be better than a chassis intended to fit all. If you plan on moving the stock around to different barreled actions a bedded fit is not the best choice, leave it bare or go chassis. Cant go wrong with either honestly they both perform excellent.