• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

McRees Precision G5 TMAG question

AustinN4

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Austin, Texas
Anyone have one of these around central Texas that I can take a look at and see how it feels to me? Don't need to shoot it, just get behind it.

I was going to build up a 20" R700 .308 with a M40-style stock and DBM, but started looking at the McRees on the Internet and like what I see.

But I have never been behind a chassis-style stock before and don't know if I would like it.

If I get one, I would go with Model 6, the compact folder that has the McRees buttstock. Also considering an AICS. If will be used for target shooting only.

I'd love to shoulder one, but any user comments appreciated, especially pros and cons.

Unfortunately I can't let you take a look at mine since I'm from Wisconsin. However, I can let you know that I am very happy with mine. I have my McRees stock on a Rem 700 .300wm with an ER Shaw 22" barrel. The feel and customization is nice since I got my stock with the AR stock adapter as well. It let me put a collapsible stock on it that I can use comfortably and to my needs. I really liked the way they have it set up so you shouldn't have to bed the rifle if installed correctly. When i first used it, I took it to my local range which was only 100 yds. It worked amazingly and helped with the recoil significantly as well. Unfortunately my scope took a digger and now I'm waiting on a new one to replace it. The McRees stock is very durable and lightweight considering it's made of metal(aluminum to be exact). Hope that helps a little.

Being in seattle I'm not much help either. But I can say, if you're comfortable behind an AR, then you'll be quite happy with the McRees. You'll be able to fine tune the fit even further. I have the McRees stock on mine too, if that helps.

Agree with 2 AC, I just got my second G5, first was a folder, this one is with the AR collapsible stock. Great price, true drop in and shoot, grew up on AR's with 8 years in the Army so very natural shooting position. I cant see the compact being any different.

I just got my second G5, first was a folder, this one is with the AR collapsible stock.
Thanks for your reply. Thanks to 2ac also.

Jerry, do you prefer one over the other, and, if so, why?

And yes to both, I am very comfortable behind an AR. When I went thru basic at Jackson in '66 we were still using M14's, but was issued a 16 shortly after. And, in fact, I qualified higher (expert) with the 16 than I did with the 14. I shoot my current carbine (Noveske N4) way more than my bolt guns.

I just got my AR version this weekend will be taking it to the range in a few hours for the first time, but getting behind it in the house I have to say I like it. I went with the Magpul ACS stock, waiting for the larger pad to get here but will shoot with the standard pad for now. I also have a M1A NM, it is a natural fit for me too. Will report back after range trip.

Austin, I know this doesn't help to much either but if your are in Oklahoma anytime soon feel free to jump behind mine. Its a Gen4 but pretty much the same thing. I grew up behind traditional hunting stocks, after being in the military I wanted something that fit me correctly and comfortable. The McRee just made that so easy. All the adjustments are very easy to make, its very versatile and built like a damn tank. I have the folder and the lock up is fantastic. The mag system has ran perfectly for me so far, not had any issues. When the 10 rd McRee mags get back in stock I will purchase a couple.

Let me know if you're going to be anywhere near Tulsa anytime soon and I'd be more than happy to let you get behind mine.

Let me know if you're going to be anywhere near Tulsa anytime soon and I'd be more than happy to let you get behind mine.
Thanks for the offer. I doubt I will be in OK anytime soon but I do appreciate it. And your experience comments are also much appreciated. Thanks!

I am in Corpus Christi if you get down here left me know I have one. I really like the Mcree. I does not give any thing up to the AICS. I like both but think that the Mcree is better built.

I was in Kingsville TX at the beginning of last month back in Illinois now. I have a McRee G5 folder and like it. I took my Remington AAC-SD in .308 ditched the stock, got my McRee and have not looked back. Not too heavy and the folder is nice for cleaning and transport.

The only issues I have are these. Maybe someone here could help me too at the same time.
-does not like me using 10 round AICS magazines. First two or three rounds are tough to chamber. Never a problem with 5 rounders.
-I can't find a attachment for a borka kit or similar to properly torque the one screw behind the trigger.

-I can't find a attachment for a borka kit or similar to properly torque the one screw behind the trigger.

4. 1/4" hex (male) to 1/4" square (male) adapter. Came with the MG 7 kit.
I believe this is the Borka piece I use, along with the extended hex sent with my stock.