• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT ACC Chassis Weights - A DIY Solution

At first I used an angle grinder but now I have the tools to actually mill out the profile precisely.
But yes, it certainly can be done with an angle grinder.
This thread has images of the more recent weights I’ve made.

I’ll play the angle grinder and drill press game also

I did a rear weight instead. Ended up at 14oz
I did give them a quick coat of black after I took these pics

274CEF33-2259-4A20-A36A-FC6A2426647B.jpeg
305B3A9B-6889-4DD2-9C59-3860EB66BCBB.jpeg

Did for the internal one piece, just waiting for a reply. I don't have the proper tools to do this, just a hacksaw and hand drill.

@MDT_Josh @MDT_OFFICIAL or does anyone else know if doing this kind of stuff void the warranty if it breaks the chassis? Is there any kind of warranty on the chassis breaking? I'd like to make a steel bag rider but won't if it will void the warranty.
Thanks

Reactions: MDT_Josh
@MDT_Josh @MDT_OFFICIAL or does anyone else know if doing this kind of stuff void the warranty if it breaks the chassis? Is there any kind of warranty on the chassis breaking? I'd like to make a steel bag rider but won't if it will void the warranty.
Thanks

In theory yes, we will always support the chassis in any way we can. But if you hack saw off the magazine well there isn't too much we can do for that.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Good work @A.Huggy ! We always like to see creativity with our products :D

Now, moreso out of curiosity more than anything else; would there be interest in a single, long external weight or internal weight for the ACC? The reason that our weights cost what they do is the material + the machine time + fasteners and then we have to make something on them too! If we were to make one internal weight that maybe used less fasteners, that would save us on machine time, material waste and machining time, which would make it cheaper for everyone. The downside is that you would only be able to use all the weight or no weight with this option. We could also do the same thing for the external weights too.

Is there interest in something like this?

Josh
Yes, absolutely!

What’s stopping me from just Uber zip tying a couple bars of rebar to the forend? Haha.

nothing , but you . but some people need there barbies in the fancy dress to be able to play with them lol .

• Haha
Reactions: HousePlant
What’s stopping me from just Uber zip tying a couple bars of rebar to the forend? Haha.
That will give you weight but no additional rigidity. After 2 years and several iterations, the rigidity is what I appreciate most about this setup. With these weights and rubber dampers in the buttstock it shoots like a foundation. There is no vibration, just smooth recoil.

That will give you weight but no additional rigidity. After 2 years and several iterations, the rigidity is what I appreciate most about this setup. With these weights and rubber dampers in the buttstock it shoots like a foundation. There is no vibration, just smooth recoil.
I made a full length internal weight a couple years ago, you are right. The added ridgidity is almost more beneficial than the weight.

Reactions: iceng
As you can see, my MDT LSS Gen 2 is bristling with weights. She is just over 18 pounds as shown. Rear wt, Front wts ( 4 sets )
Aluminum bag rider. I could add a steel bag rider under the factory rider. I very frequently have to add something under my bag to raise it. The factory bag rider created a nice flat plane for me to start with. With flat head screws, my additional steel rider edges would line up nice and pretty with the factory one. Or I could make it twice as wide..... Iv'e seen BR guy's guns that had a 2.5 inch wide bottom section of their butt stock area.
Most recently on a beautiful blue lam BR Vudoo with a high polish aluminum butt plate. That said, you could skip your rubber butt plate and make that steel as well.

To me that would mean a piece of CRS with a couple of c'sunk holes in it. I could make some that bolt to the rear weight by
drilling and tapping holes in the factory weight. Rear factory weight would provide the holes and mounting surface for my new DIY weights.
One per side. The front is really simple because the weights have created a flat plane to work with. I could buy more MDT weights and use longer screws to get to the small M-Loc nuts. You could even put something in the QD hole to line up your sandwiched front weights since they wont have the benifit of the M-loc locating nubs. Round and springy would be cool.... urethane plug? roll pin? I must admit that I looked at adding more MDT weights..... If you sandwich them, the M-loc locating nubs cause slight problems. They create a gap between the weights. I would have machined them off below flush rather than have a 2 or 3mm gap.

I could fill the Atlas legs with something. I could even sneak in a piece of round tubing inside of my scope sun shade. ( about 2.75 pounds )
Lets see.... round tube with an O-ring groove cut near each end. O-rings should hold it in place and act as a damper.

That's just beginning of the crazy talk.... LoL

Seriously..... If I were going to do all of that work, I would design and build or alter a purchased chassis that allowed my BA to float freely reward
while the bullet was in the barrel. Feinwerkbau (FWB) does it with three pins about .50" long. FWB 65 pistol and FWB 300. That way the action is sliding straight reward while the bullet is going forward. Their is no felt recoil on the shooter until after the bullet is out of the gun. Then there is a small recoil impulse because the BA runs out of room to slide. But since the bullet is gone, it doesn't matter what the gun does.
The FWB design eclipsed all other Olympic air guns for the next 15 or so years.

If you go to step #4, you will see two pins about 3mm (.125") diameter. The rear only has one pin. The entire upper slides for and aft on
on the pins. The pins are supported by that round sheet metal tubular piece. The "BASE" mounts to the wood.
Step #5 calls it the "BASE" and shows a red arrow showing it's direction of removal.

Third image is of a FWB 300RT. In this condition without scope.... $2000.00. photo from internet. This sledge system has been around since about 1963 starting in the LG150. I believe....

Now we have PCP guns and different recoil management systems. Still, the FWB sledge system would be perfect for .22LR use.

Image #4 is a FWB P70 FT. ( high power version ) Steyr, FWB, Anschutz, etc all make Olympic air guns. You can pick up a low power Anschutz
9015 FT for $4600.00 plus tax. Then you will need some kind of compressor to charge it to 3000 psi.
The Hill goes to 4500 psi. ($1250.00) It's been a great unit. Still I would like it better if it was a no frills analog unit.
Working on 100 year old guns is simple but add an electronic trigger and even a dead battery can be a PITA !!
FWB 90 pistol.

Sorry for jumping the rails like I did.....

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 157
  • KEVIN STEWART.jpg
    KEVIN STEWART.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 126
  • FWB 300 RT.jpg
    FWB 300 RT.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 123
  • FWB P70 HP RT.jpg
    FWB P70 HP RT.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210916_192336.jpg
    20210916_192336.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 121

You're talking about dampening that comes from additional mass. You can achieve similar with Dynamat, absorbs the vibration.

I just need weight, haha, so I'm gonna try it.

please tell me more about these rubber dampers for the buttstock.

Are you saying that one piece internal weights in an ACC stock add rigidity? As I look at my LSS Gen2 stock, the section just in front of the
recoil lug is where most of the material appears to be removed. That also seems like where it would flex the most. How does adding stiffness to the for end benefit me ? The barrel is nearly a quarter inch from the aluminum all around. Imagine the chassis being cut off just in front of the recoil lug. Now clamp the remains of the chassis in a vice near the receiver. Obviously the forearm needs to be stiff enough to support the rifle
assembly while setting up the shot. Given it's material, cross sectional area and it's semi-hexagonal shape, it FEELS plenty stiff to me given it's intended use. I'm just asking a question regarding your opinions and not asking for empirical data. By enlarge I can shoot all of my guns
at home with a stock or chassis as Lapua does with the BA only. So I'm not understanding the thought process of a stiff front with an apparent flex point about an inch in front of my recoil lug.

Side bar... someone recently said they didn't feel the super light, micro weight trigger is required. I tend to shoot as light as the factory system allows but my FEELING is, consistent pull on a light trigger and a consistent pull on a heavy trigger will yield the same kind of results.
Consistency being the operative word. Your POI will change going from light to heavy indeed, but all of the light and all of the heavy shots should group. My Anschutz half ounce DST trigger is actually DIFFICULT to control even though it is crisp and defined.

Both targets were shot with the factory B14R 2 pound 4 ounce, long, creepy trigger.
The circle is .56" OD, and .44" ID. Shot on 10/20 The heavy line weight is .06" The fine line is .015" It's still clear and crisp at 50 yards
The outside of the first ring is .50" in the second target. Shot on 8/21
The .56" OD came about because that is what my V22 shot at Lapua. Using that as a base line allowed me to see how a gun was progressing
while I was shooting. My Trijicon 5-50 allows me to see everything ;-)

Attachments

• 20210707_165618.jpg
    20210707_165618.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 51
  • NEW TARGET.jpg
    NEW TARGET.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
    10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 48
@AirGunShawn

The ridgidity likely will not help as much from a concrete bench.

It really helps for PRS type shooting where you may be shooting from a side of a hill and do not have time to make a perfect position.

I set the rifle down for the second shooting position, rotate 5 degrees to get level. Fire and watch for trace. Instead of a nice straight back recoil I get this jumpy diagonal recoil. Missed my trace. I am twisting the foreend trying to hold the rifle level. With the one pc weight you can get away with a lot more.

Given that I know how to spend money like a drunken sailor on my toys and equipment, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm using a flaky plastic fold up table from Lowes. My thing is Field Target and is fairly dynamic too. Basically, I get a gun, scope and allowed a seat cushion of 6" or less in thickness. If I have a bipod, it can only be used so you can sit the rifle on the ground between shots. The only thing the gun can touch is ME.

Image number 2 shows my normal shooting position, on my butt. Probably upwards of 95%. Normally I sit down and shoot a target. It gets reset from the firing line by a fellow shooter. I rotate 3* to 5* and adjust for any slope change up or down estimate the distance and shoot it twice. Both targets are at different and unknown distances. And naturally it's a timed event. Both targets from post #116 were shot from that trashy table with my stock B14R. I would love to have concreate, but I never know when I will be moving to a new place. In post #113 you can see my Vudoo in it's MDT LSS Gen2 chassis. I only put my Bergara in it once and realized no measurable benefit. As far as weight goes... I only did that with my V22. All of my other guns are pretty spartan configurations because FT is simulated hunting. We shoot at steel knock over targets. In the USA the hole size varies from .38" to 1.5"??
If your pellet hits the inner edge of the hole the target is designed to stay standing. You get ZERO for target that fails to fall. An X if you get it. Heck... just my scope weighs 38.4 oz. without the sunshade. The V22 is just over 18 pounds. I was looking for the scope weight and just ran across the stadia line info. Now I need to use that too.

The MOA reticle has 0.5 MOA and 1.0 MOA stadia heights to facilitate speed ranging targets and 1/32 MOA stadia lines (stadia lines are the crosshairs and stadia height refers to the distance between lines). Each click is 0.125 MOA.

I shoot unlimited PCP so I could do lots of crazy stuff. I don't feel most of it helps much as people believe. It gives you piece of mind and your
fellow shooters a scare. The very first time I took my V22 to a local fun shoot, they knew it was coming and had decided it would likely win.
Meaning they mentally threw in the towel. To have fun with the guys at the LGC, I brought my Serbian MP22 and 6.5 x 20 scope. It's way more fun breathing down the neck of V22s and Annies with this $275.00 POS than one of my high dollar guns. It's just for fun, a little salt in the wound !! I'm going to modify the trigger some more. Most of my sears look like the last image, even my Win 52 and Springfield 1922 MK2. And they get new springs of course. Every factory part gets saved in zip-loc bags for the next caretaker.

In any activity it's all about the fun.

Truly I still don't understand the weight benefit. Unless you're saying that during your second target rotation, It sounds like your inducing a
slight bending moment in the extrusion. Are you twisting down the long axis of the chassis or bending broadside a bit.
( Think pack of matches )

Attachments

• SHOOTING TABLE.jpg
    SHOOTING TABLE.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 35
  • WORLDS 1993 ~ B CLASS PCP.jpg
    WORLDS 1993 ~ B CLASS PCP.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210916_192638.jpg
    20210916_192638.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC09768.JPG
    DSC09768.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 28
Ask any serious racer (drag, bike, racecar, etc) having weight added to make the vehicle balance is half the battle.
Having the weight placed to make the minimum limit, in the right place, and to also have it effect handling / response is the true battle.

I see rifles as the same. Just having weight is silly. Having the right sort of weight, in the right area is vital.

Reactions: A.Huggy