• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT AICS 308 Metal Magazine Review

Still working with beta testers. We have had some unexpected results with certain styles of actions and are just working out the kinks. If you're in need of a magazine quick, we will not have these available for the next month if not more.

Are 5 and 10 round magazines (or a kit) a possibility? I live in California which has magazine size restrictions...

Pretty sure the mag restrictions don't apply to bolt actions.

Any word on testing with the Valkyrie? Looking to build out an action (like now actually) but the lack of mags is making me hesitate. Got two our your `12 rd mags, and they work well. I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish. MDT has come a long way since the early polymer .223 mags (I was working with the guy in MT, trying to get the .300 BO to work with your mags and chassis).

Any word on testing with the Valkyrie? Looking to build out an action (like now actually) but the lack of mags is making me hesitate. Got two our your `12 rd mags, and they work well. I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish. MDT has come a long way since the early polymer .223 mags (I was working with the guy in MT, trying to get the .300 BO to work with your mags and chassis).

Thanks for the kind words and we are always looking to improve :) No real word back yet on the 224v bit I will keep you posted.

Had to slightly tweak the feed lips on this MDT BR Prototype mag to work with this Curtis Axiom but running 6br 100% now. 13rd in the mag. Will be testing it in the MDT ACC and XLR Envy next. Cant wait to test 224V in this mag as well!

That's hot. I need that in my life.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
It'll be a spacer, spring and follower upgrade much like you would get from PR or PVA. No functional changes to the magazine body.
Not sure if we'll sell them separately yet to be honest. If there is enough demand maybe?
I am happy to hear that the mags are working out for you and all signs are looking positive so far with the 6BR prototypes! No real pics to share just yet, but soon :)

Shouldn’t there be some kind of change to the feed lips/magazine body, though? It seems like the whole spacer/follower fix is stuff regular people rigged up to be a solution and now it’s being made as kits.

I do use a Primal Rights kit, so, I’m definitely using this kind of stuff, but it just seems like a company with manufacturing capabilities (not just MDT, but maybe Accurate Mag or Alpha or whoever), would be on a position to come up with a more elegant solution.

Definitely not knocking you there at MDT, and I’m sure there are some cost considerations that I’m not imagining. It’s just strange to me that we seem to be in a precision rifle golden age and we’ve landed on the spacer/follower fix that’s still pretty spotty and it’s just accepted.

I just started using the MDT mags with my 6.5cm, I was previously using ARC mags. It is super hard to get the last Round in both the 10 and 12 rounders. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy fix? The ARC mags were easy to load all 10 rounds I just got tired of them acting up when dirty.

I just started using the MDT mags with my 6.5cm, I was previously using ARC mags. It is super hard to get the last Round in both the 10 and 12 rounders. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy fix? The ARC mags were easy to load all 10 rounds I just got tired of them acting up when dirty.

The stronger spring on our magazines is generally to help push past in dirty environments and cause slightly harder loading of the last round of the magazine. For ways to fix the magazine or replacement parts, let our customer support team know by submitting a service ticket here!

Reactions: JLP.Payette

I checked on that and although IANAL, it was pretty clear that the restrictions were regardless of how the action cycled. It was obvious that PMAGs, Hex Mags, and MDT 12-rounders were illegal because they were released after the ban.

Then the judge overturned the ban, and I had the 12-rounders I kept in AZ sent to me. Then the decision to overturn the ban was stayed by the same judge, but if you got the mag during the magical week of 29 March-5 April, they’re legal to possess.

So now, its a complete clusterfuck to figure out if a mag is illegal. I’ll omit my opinion on that ?

I checked on that and although IANAL, it was pretty clear that the restrictions were regardless of how the action cycled. It was obvious that PMAGs, Hex Mags, and MDT 12-rounders were illegal because they were released after the ban.

Then the judge overturned the ban, and I had the 12-rounders I kept in AZ sent to me. Then the decision to overturn the ban was stayed by the same judge, but if you got the mag during the magical week of 29 March-5 April, they’re legal to possess.

So now, its a complete clusterfuck to figure out if a mag is illegal. I’ll omit my opinion on that ?

Well, last I checked, the burden of proof is on the government as to when you purchased them. That implies a significant inability to enforce the magazine ban, even if they wanted to.

Why does the website say the br magazine won't work with axioms or other 3 lug? Can it be fixed with a dremel?

Regular 12 rounder feeds dasher now in an Axiom.

Why does the website say the br magazine won't work with axioms or other 3 lug? Can it be fixed with a dremel?

Regular 12 rounder feeds dasher now in an Axiom.

It is not the 3-lugs, it is the 'fat bolt' actions that most 3-lug actions use.

The fat bolt requires the magazine to sit lower and can cause issues.

Some users have had no problems with them, but enough do that MDT published that caveat. Typically opening the front of the lips 20 thou or so will make them work.

Do the 10 & 12 round magazines use the same spring?
I'm trying to figure out how to get 13 rounds. If the spring is the same I'll get a 10 and install the area 419 +4 baseplate.
Otherwise its 12 rounds and a match saver.

Do the 10 & 12 round magazines use the same spring?
I'm trying to figure out how to get 13 rounds. If the spring is the same I'll get a 10 and install the area 419 +4 baseplate.
Otherwise its 12 rounds and a match saver.

The 10 and 12 round magazines use slightly different springs. The 10 is shorter to better work in the shorter magazine body, but they are the same thickness. There are some people who are able to jam 13 in the 12 round magazine, but we round that 12 feeds better for most calibers.

Personally, it's rare to find a 12 round stage, so I have a Hoptic Quiver on the side of my gun at all times with two rounds in it and load the 12 round mag to 10 or 12, depending on what the stage calls for :) It's rare that you'll ever need to use the rounds on the side of your gun, but it's nice to know that they're there.

I am wondering what kind of luck guys are having with these in the same setup I am running. I have a bighorn tl3 left hand ai/aw cut in an mpa chassis with the factory mag latch.
I have two magazines currently that just won't consistently feed. A 10rd aiaw magazine that sits just a little to low so after 6 or 7 rounds it will skip over the top of the rest until the last round, and a 10rd accurate mag that feeds the first 6 pretty consistent but then the spring in the mag cocks funny and misfeeds round 7,8, or 9 everytime. I've tweaked the lips to the same diameter multiple different ways with the accurate mag multiple times and nothing.
Im thinking the double stack to single feed may fix this issue.

I am wondering what kind of luck guys are having with these in the same setup I am running. I have a bighorn tl3 left hand ai/aw cut in an mpa chassis with the factory mag latch.
I have two magazines currently that just won't consistently feed. A 10rd aiaw magazine that sits just a little to low so after 6 or 7 rounds it will skip over the top of the rest until the last round, and a 10rd accurate mag that feeds the first 6 pretty consistent but then the spring in the mag cocks funny and misfeeds round 7,8, or 9 everytime. I've tweaked the lips to the same diameter multiple different ways with the accurate mag multiple times and nothing.

I have 3 TL3. I also had issues with those mags in an MPA. No issues with those mags in an MDT or XLR

I have 3 TL3. I also had issues with those mags in an MPA. No issues with those mags in an MDT or XLR
Nice! I guess my only other questions would be is yours an aiaw cut and are you running the mdt mags with or without the binder plate? My two magazines are w/o binder but my 6.5 creedmoor load is a 2.810 coal so having the binder in an mdt mag wouldn't be an issue I don't think.

Nice! I guess my only other questions would be is yours an aiaw cut and are you running the mdt mags with or without the binder plate? My two magazines are w/o binder but my 6.5 creedmoor load is a 2.810 coal so having the binder in an mdt mag wouldn't be an issue I don't think.

AW cut and I have every mag you can buy, MDT, MDT 6BR, AICS, AW, ARC, with and without binders. They alm run in the 2 chassis mentioned

I say spent $15 to get the MPA feed lip tool, make some dummy rounds, and start testing. I had issues with MDT 12 that I blame on the action at first. Adjusted the lips until feeding was 100%. Surprised by how big of a difference it made.

AW cut and I have every mag you can buy, MDT, MDT 6BR, AICS, AW, ARC, with and without binders. They alm run in the 2 chassis mentioned

Dom,

Have you used that 6BR mag for the Valkyrie, and if so, what mods (if any) had to be made?

I have a Gen 3 RPR in 6.5CM. Should I use mags with or without binder plates? I don’t understand the function of the binder plates. Thanks.

I've been using MDT 10 inch DSSF w/o binder plate with berger/berger 155.5 "full bore" cartridges out of .308WIN(22) for about six months now, with no issues, rain or shine, snow or ice, day or night, hot or cold. I did have to notch the REM700 action, to get second round to feed up to the top slot, but that would be true regardless of which long COAL mag I was using. That's a COAL induced issue, not a specific mag induced issue. So far (~400rds) they work fine !

40633298623_71082efd81_k.jpg

Plan to accumulate more of the 10 inch, funds and priorities permitting.

Is that the magazines specifically will not work with curtis axiom only for br or is it with all axiom ‘s . Using axiom for 308 and 6.5cm

Reactions: Balor
Is that the magazines specifically will not work with curtis axiom only for br or is it with all axiom ‘s . Using axiom for 308 and 6.5cm
Only the 6BR can be an issue due to the three-lug arrangement and the spacer in the magazine. Standard magazine will be great!

Thread resurrection but oh well.

Comparably speaking what are the size differences between these and AICS? They're shorter correct?

Thread resurrection but oh well.

Comparably speaking what are the size differences between these and AICS? They're shorter correct?

Yes they are shorter in height. Here is one with the +2 extension next to a standard 10 round AICS mag.

IMG_2874.jpg

Reactions: Balor and 5RWill
Yes they are shorter in height. Here is one with the +2 extension next to a standard 10 round AICS mag.

View attachment 7973241
That’s awesome I’ll probably snag a 5 rounder and a 12 when they go on sale. I have a 5rnd aics and an ARC that i just ordered a LRI follower for but wanting to keep the 308 mags short for the XM3

Reactions: MDT_Josh and Rob01