• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MDT oryx not feeding savage

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
I recently installed a oryx chassis on a savage 10 223 and I’m now unable to get the rounds to feed from the mag.
I am using the mdt 223 mags. Anyone have these issues?

when I go to chamber the round it doesn’t pop up and out of the mag, and most of the time when I pull the bolt back the bullets dump forward and down into the magazine.
I have started troubleshooting with mdt and so far they have been very responsive. Maybe I need a different mag? I’ve tried 2 different hand loads and some factory stuff too.

Any ideas?

Have you tried running your bolt slowly and watching what’s going on inside of your action?
It could be something as simple as shortening your mag lips a touch, are you using poly or metal mags?
It could also be binding between your bolt face, feed ramp and chamber or something, which can happen if your mag holds onto the round for too long.

Have you tried running your bolt slowly and watching what’s going on inside of your action?
It could be something as simple as shortening your mag lips a touch, are you using poly or metal mags?
It could also be binding between your bolt face, feed ramp and chamber or something, which can happen if your mag holds onto the round for too long.

I have watched it and it does seem to be that the feed lips are to long I would modify it but it’s a loner mag from my brother. It’s a poly mdt mag I’m using.

All the Savage 223's I have messed with have an extended leg on the bolt baffle keeping the bolt throw shorter for the factory mags. When installed in a chassis for acis mags the bolt wont come back far enough to pick up the round in the mag. The baffle leg either needs to be cut off or the baffle replaced with a .308 family part.

So the bolt will pick up the round but doesn’t lift it out of the mag into the chamber. I’d post a video but not sure how
DC2679F2-42C9-45AF-9924-4603A658FB99.jpeg

So this is my Savage 12FV .223 action in an Oryx with a MDT mag. Looks like my mag sits up quite a bit higher in the action and the round is much further up the bolt face? I assume your bolt ends up slipping over the top of the round? I also just realized that your round seems to be weakly pushing on the feed lips...mine is very snug all the way across. I also have the long baffle and ground the rear of it down to get the exact pull I wanted on the bolt.

IMG_20201201_165119.jpg

Your mag is definitely sitting higher than mine is. I wonder what the difference is. Maybe i Need to check the torque on the bolts.

I've had to do this but try it at your own risk.

Try filing the feed lips down on the inside. File an area about 1/4 to 1/2 in long from the front of the lip back. This will allow the case to "pop" out of the mag a bit sooner.

What grain are those eldm’s? What COAL are they loaded to? Does factory SAAMI ammo jam in the same place as your hand loads?

Can you take a couple more photos with the bolt feeding a round further forward and another at the point of jam?

I have a sneaking suspicion.

They are 75gr seared long not sure off memory but it does the same with 53gr vmax and 55gr fmj.
The hit the barrel just under the chamber hole.

Check the mag catch dimensions. Is the mag catch keeping mag from going high enough? Some of the Savage bolts have a sharp edge on the bottom that catches the next round in the mag and pushes that round pint first down inside the mag also

The hit the barrel just under the chamber hole.

That’s what was going to be my guess, missing the hole and hitting high or low on the back of the barrel.

Raising the mag if you can would be a good start, you can see yours is seating lower than the other posters.

How much clearance is there at the moment between your bolt and the feed lips?

Can you take any good photos of your feed ramp?

After some mag modification the rounds are “close” to feeding properly but still not consistent. I’ll try and get some pics of the feed ramp. I polished it out hoping that would help but no such luck. I might be dumping the chassis soon if I can’t figure it out.

I read somewhere that the Oryx chassis' don't work well with poly mags. While I am not running a 223 my Savage 6.5 Magpul AICS mags will NOT lock or feed in the Oryx.

I wouldn't think that would/should be an issue running a MDT mag but you never know. Might be worth a call. Running metal mags, I love my Oryx.

Can you take a pic of what happens when it doesn't feed correctly?

I had a similar issue with a Savage in an XLR Element. I had to file down the front edge of the MDT polymer mags because it was making contact with the action and not seating deep enough to lock in place. If I remember correctly I also slightly filed down the top/inner edge of the feed lips so the bolt barely cleared the lips, and the rounds sat as high as possible. Feeding has been reliable.
Savage MDT Magazine Mod.png

Cnewhouse48
I just got my oryx for my model 12, 223 a month ago. Havn't got it ready so shoot yet, but read your post Monday. I have
new ammo and ran some thru to see if I was OK. Same thing as you, rounds shoved down into the mag. I fooled
with it for a while , and found the problem and fixed it. First, the rounds that were going down,check
the back of the rims and see if there is any nicks, gouges etc . If you find any hold the mag in your hands put 2
rounds in. Push the top round out as if the bolt did it VERY SLOW until the bottom round starts coming up. It
comes up rim first and contacts the bolt before the upper round is all the way out. The hole in the bolt for the
black pin that holds the bolt head is not chamfered and has a sharp edge. I saw that and BINGO the lights went on.
I not only chamfered it but ramped it with a dremel and polished it. It worked for me and now feeds flawlessly.
Im sorry this post was late and long. This is my first post here or anywhere. It took me forever to get registered
but I thought I could Help.
Sparky

Reactions: Lightning8
Cnewhouse48
I just got my oryx for my model 12, 223 a month ago. Havn't got it ready so shoot yet, but read your post Monday. I have
new ammo and ran some thru to see if I was OK. Same thing as you, rounds shoved down into the mag. I fooled
with it for a while , and found the problem and fixed it. First, the rounds that were going down,check
the back of the rims and see if there is any nicks, gouges etc . If you find any hold the mag in your hands put 2
rounds in. Push the top round out as if the bolt did it VERY SLOW until the bottom round starts coming up. It
comes up rim first and contacts the bolt before the upper round is all the way out. The hole in the bolt for the
black pin that holds the bolt head is not chamfered and has a sharp edge. I saw that and BINGO the lights went on.
I not only chamfered it but ramped it with a dremel and polished it. It worked for me and now feeds flawlessly.
Im sorry this post was late and long. This is my first post here or anywhere. It took me forever to get registered
but I thought I could Help.
Sparky
Thanks I’ll take a look at it. MDT is sending a new mag latch and I ordered another mag from accurate to try that.

That sucks I’m kind of on the fence about ordering one maybe if one pops up in the px I’ll buy.