• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Measured 1x fired cases, tight chamber?

goldeneagle

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
DE
used the C375 size Hornady comparator and measured my 1x fired, deprimed cases and got average of 1.554. Then measured new brass from Hornady and got 1.554-1557. Usually would set FL die to bump back about .020 but my fired seems shorter than new. Any help would be appreciated.

First off, you mean 2 thou not 20 right? Bolt gun? Model/ Make? Quick answer would be believe your chamber. If your sample of 10-15 cases gives you an avg of 1.554 then I'd set up for 1.552 or you can do that AND, if a bolt gun, strip the bolt, make sure you have a clean gun, and place that newly sized 1.552 in the chamber and see if you get a slight crush fit as the bolt goes down. You can do the same thing when doing max seating depth tests to find your lands. If the bolt drops with no sign of pressure on it from your newly sized case you're probably oversizing.

Seems that you're at the bottom end of saami. I would like that so you can fully resize the new and not have the new vs fired size difference that you can get with over sized chambers. And I assume he meant .002 as he seems to be using the decimals properly for his other measurements.

Id try to chamber some 1.557 new and see if it's tight. If so size it and check again. If the new 1.557 isn't tight in the chamber then I would suspect something else is afoot with your measurements.

If it all checks out bump them to 1.552 and go.

Seems that you're at the bottom end of saami. I would like that so you can fully resize the new and not have the new vs fired size difference that you can get with over sized chambers. And I assume he meant .002 as he seems to be using the decimals properly for his other measurements.

Id try to chamber some 1.557 new and see if it's tight. If so size it and check again. If the new 1.557 isn't tight in the chamber then I would suspect something else is afoot with your measurements.

If it all checks out bump them to 1.552 and go.

Yep, that's another way to look at it "AND" skin that cat. Great idea. I'd strip my bolt and drop a 1.557 in there and see if the handle drops. I really like that methodology.

Sorry guys, yes, meant .002. I will take firing pin out and check some of the 1.557 to see how they fit. Thank you.

Sorry guys, yes, meant .002. I will take firing pin out and check some of the 1.557 to see how they fit. Thank you.

All good brother. Then, if the 1.557 is 'tight' and ya got one that's say 1.555 or 4 plop that in and see what it tells ya. You got this thing.

that's very odd you're experiencing that.

-whats the rifle info?
-what caliber are you shooting?
-when you measured the new cases from hornady they weren't full up cartridges just brass right?

that's very odd you're experiencing that.

-whats the rifle info?
-what caliber are you shooting?
-when you measured the new cases from hornady they weren't full up cartridges just brass right?

Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor
and yes, new brass not cartridges.

Wait. Now that I'm thinking about it, are the once fired brass the same lot as the new brass? Because you should have known if it was right if you loaded it initially. Or is it loaded factory now once fired vs new virgin brass of a different lot? That could account for a difference as well depending on spring back. I don't imagine it would be that much but one never knows.

Do you have any of the factory loaded rounds that are unfired you could measure? Then you could really get a true new vs fired measurement without having to try and interpolate that your new brass is the same as the factory loaded was.

Either way still check the 1.557 to see if they chamber. If they do then you measured something wrong or theres something fishy going on with your equipment. If they dont then check the new 1.554 brass and see if they chamber nicely. If they dont then set your dies up based on your fired stuff and size to that and see if they fit then. Try it on a few and test with each step of your load process before you do a large batch that ends up incorrect due to a mistake.

I find sticking with one lot of components is the best way to work stuff out so that there arent any assumptions to be made.

I assume that you used a universal decapper and not the decapping pin on the end of your expander ball?

Do you have any of the factory loaded rounds that are unfired you could measure? Then you could really get a true new vs fired measurement without having to try and interpolate that your new brass is the same as the factory loaded was.

Either way still check the 1.557 to see if they chamber. If they do then you measured something wrong or theres something fishy going on with your equipment. If they dont then check the new 1.554 brass and see if they chamber nicely. If they dont then set your dies up based on your fired stuff and size to that and see if they fit then. Try it on a few and test with each step of your load process before you do a large batch that ends up incorrect due to a mistake.

I find sticking with one lot of components is the best way to work stuff out so that there arent any assumptions to be made.

I assume that you used a universal decapper and not the decapping pin on the end of your expander ball?

No, unfortunately do not have anymore loaded factory rounds.
Yes, used a universal decapper. Going to take firing pin out when I get home tonight and test a bunch. Although now realizing that when I take the firing pin assembly out of the Ruger, that's what holds the bolt handle in place. Nothing is ever simple though, so I'll figure it out. Also, heard removing Ruger ejector is a pain in the arse so might not go through that. I should still be able to get a feel for how easily it does or does not close on a case.

Got it figured out. Kids and wife went out so I had quiet time in my room. I measured every 1x case I had 30 and 24 measured 1.554 and 6 were 1.555. I then took my firing pin out but had to leave ejector in. Got a feel for closing bolt on no case, then 1.554 which was easily done with one finger. So tried 1.552 and could do it with the tip of my pinky.
Thanks for all of the help fellas, much appreciated.