• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Measurement question - dillon 550b

Bbowl1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I have mine on the way (yay) and am setting up my bench for it.

Can someone who has one tell me the dimensions of the mounting holes?

All I need is distance from front to back and side to side from center of the presses mounting holes. Not using a strong mount.

I have searched for quite a whole trying to find a mounting template, anything. I could find nothing.

This is the best place I can think to ask, thank you SH!!

FYI- I'm not drilling the holes through bench top now based off your numbers...I'll wait for the press for that. I am putting in supports under the bench top that the mounting screws will go through and I want to do that part now. Doesn't need to be exact...

Last edited:
May not be "dead nuts" exact but pretty close. Front to rear is 2-7/8" and side to side is 4".

My only piece of advice is be sure the "elevation" of the handle and "turn-table" are appropriate for either your chosen chair, or for standing. You're going to be spending some time behind that unit, and you might as well get it right, as you're building the main support. Take a little bit of time, and plan your elevation.

Happy loading!

I bought mine without a strong mount. Within a month I bought one. The press is cats meow with a bullet tray and brass bin.

I stand, my bench is already about 43" high. I'm 5'10. I will have to use a 2" riser so the bottom part of the press "hinges" will clear my drawers underneath. I like the idea of strong mount but I'm afraid that would put it up too high.

I'm not new to reloading, this is just first progressive. So I have (had) a press where this one is going. Just need to leave room on the left for bullets where before my press was far left side.

Last edited:
Stand mount here... give me an hour and I will be able to measure w/ photos if you like...

Is there any reason to leave space on the left side of press for anything other than bullets?

I want as much place to the right of it as possible. Would 6"-8" of bench space be enough? Seems like you just need a spot to pick the bullets from

Get the strong mount, with a progressive they add a lot of rigidity to the system and flex is not a great thing with a progressive. Plus it'll allow you to use a bullet tray and whatnot, well worth it in my mind.

Stand mount here... give me an hour and I will be able to measure w/ photos if you like...

Actually. If you could tell me the distance between the front edge of your bench (where the press hangs off of) to the center of the first mounting bolt. Would be much appreciated.

Get the strong mount, with a progressive they add a lot of rigidity to the system and flex is not a great thing with a progressive. Plus it'll allow you to use a bullet tray and whatnot, well worth it in my mind.

The strong mount would put it up too high. I would have to shorten the whole bench or reload off a stool. And shortening bench not much option.

I am adding a frame underneath the mounting bolts will go through. "You shall not flex"

Here is where I'm at. Any suggestions before I mount it?

The platform is deliberately hanging off the left side some to give me more room over there. The block the press will go on is deliberately hanging off a little. The drawer frame (removed right now) is sunk in a little and with the little overhang should clear no problem.

Th 2 2x4s will run underneath longways and the rear bolts will get them.

** looks like I'll run into an issue with the loaded cartridge ramp and the press footprint sized platform. I'll have to add a block there to mount it.

Last edited:
Some photos for you with a tape measure...

IMG_5034.jpg
IMG_5037.JPG

From the manual:

Using the machine itself as a template, mark and drill
four one-quarter inch holes in your bench and bolt your RL
550B securely to it, Fig. 1.

IIRC, my 650 manual had a paper template.

You COULD just wait until the press shows up. :)

Yeah, I have found I can't/shouldn't go any further until it gets here.

Just trying to get all the boring stuff done and solid in the meantime. Cause I know once it arrived it's a bolt this down and get loading!

Last edited:
All is good. I'm glad I spent a week on it. Oh, and it feels like it's bolted to the concrete, love it. The 2x4s running under the benchtop that it's bolted to, really made a difference. Old press flexed a lot.