• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Melissa Bachman Forced off NatGeo

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    I usually don't share or re-post things like this, but when I read the story, I had to. (hope it's not some weird rule violation)

Melissa Bachman Forced Off Nat Geo’s ‘Ultimate Survivor Alaska’ by Anti-Hunting Activist and Online Petition
    Please sign the petition and pass the link along

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    NEWTOWN, Conn --(Ammoland.com)- Outdoor TV producer and host Melissa Bachman has been forced off the upcoming National Geographic Channel reality series “Ultimate Survivor Alaska,” the cable channel announced on Friday.

What’s the reason? Well, it’s because Melissa is a hunter.

The channel said that Ms. Bachman will no longer be a participant in the new series after an online petition started by Tim Martell, a Florida resident, protesting her involvement went viral and it received more than 13,000 signatures in less than 24 hours.

Protests and threatened boycotts are nothing new. But things happen very fast these days, thanks to the instant clout of social media and the fact that corporate executives are quick to surrender to noisy internet rebellions for fear of having the online wrath transferred directly onto them.

After Nat Geo’s decision was announced, the hunting community soon began making its own voice heard. Field & Stream weighed in, pointing out the absurdity of a show dealing with survival in Alaska that somehow doesn’t include hunting.

Melissa grew up hunting with her family in Minnesota. After earning her college degree, she became a producer for the “North American Hunter” program. She has traveled the world working on hunting shows and spends much of her free time in the field. Some have criticized her for not being a real hunter. This is off-base. She is the real deal and the successful effort to get her off this show was, in a sense, an attack on all who enjoy the sport and understand the significant contribution hunters make toward conservation.

The odds of getting Melissa Bachman back on “Ultimate Survivor Alaska” may not be great and one has to question how much reality could there be in this reality show. Still, we encourage hunters and those in our industry to make their voices heard. Contact the National Geographic Channel at [email protected] and let them know what you think. Why be quiet?

No matter what, we’re very sure that we have not heard the last of Melissa Bachman. Maybe this outburst and preemptive censorship will become the basis for her to play a starring role in a new and far better cable television program.

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2012/09/05/melis.../#ixzz25klG4AZx

Melissa-Bachman.jpg

</div></div>

Re: Melissa Bachman Forced off NatGeo

After seeing the rest of the petitions to support on that site, it reminded me to get more water and bullets.

trying hard to not violate the political posting rules so here goes. a part of the population says, " i don't like xyz so i don't watch it." another part of the population says, " i don't like xyz so i don't want anyone to watch it." i leave the rest to your imagination but what become of the first amendment for EVERYONE? where in the constitution is the right not to be offended???? personally i am of the i don't watch segment.

wow i am only 723. this is crap. I bet they all want to go get food from the grocery store where no animals were harmed.

Idiots !

I just can't help but wonder...why didn't the guy who started the petition just not watch the show if it bothered him that much...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trying hard to not violate the political posting rules so here goes. a part of the population says, " i don't like xyz so i don't watch it." another part of the population says, " i don't like xyz so i don't want anyone to watch it." i leave the rest to your imagination but what become of the first amendment for EVERYONE? where in the constitution is the right not to be offended???? personally i am of the i don't watch segment. </div></div>

While I agree that you don't have the right to not be offended, I should point out that this decision by NatGeo was obviously $$ driven as these actions are always driven by the fear of boycott/etc. to/from the advertisers. This really has nothing to do with free speech, it has to do with NatGeo kowtowing to $$ concerns.

Being that it's Nat Geo, I thought that she was being kicked for not wanting to pose in the Sub Saharan calendar shoot. Laughs aside, I hope the petition gets her back in the job.

Well, heck, it is a survival show in Alaska. Clearly, anyone who knows how to hunt would have a clear enough advantage that it could be considered cheating. Much like someone who knows how to swim would be cheating in a contest dealing with surviving in 10 feet of water. (sarcasm if no one got that)

Am I missing something? The constitution is between goverment and citizens,individuals can do what they want. I agree let nat geo know your feeling/prefference.

NatGeo is a far shine from the "scientific" organization it once was. It has fallen victim to the leftist media sway, like other networks... namely Discovery, who is well known for an anti-gun bias in both its corporate stance and its reporting.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of excellent viewing to be had on these networks... but these days even these so called "educational" networks pander to the sex-obsessed media overload culture that dominates the western way of life. Just look at all the mindless shit they shovel down the necks of the pusillanimous twerps spending 6+ hours a day in front of the screen. It seems almost every episode of "Taboo" is about some sort of weird fetish, or drugs, or both. The few that are not paint people of certain religious or political persuasions with a broad, discriminatory brush. Yet we expect this sort of business model to turn around and present an accurate depiction of the harsh reality of wilderness survival? Yeah, sure...

People don't want to see hunting to survive- they want to see idiots telling them how to survive by graphically showing them what not to do, just like they want to see death & chaos on the news. It's absurd how pervasive this style of "journalism" is these days, there are few true professionals left in the media.

Whatever happened to lions eating zebras?

I'm just glad my 16 year old son can say a prayer before his high school football game, er ah, what the ??

907 here, i cant belive the amount of idiots there still are in this country. when are they gonna open hunting season on the idiot?

We can and should all learn a lesson here on the power of effective use of technology if for no other reason than because those who would shred our Constitution have.

We should be as responsive, organized and energetic in not just countering the actions of the loons but be preemptive and give corporations more incentive to cater to OUR wants and tastes.

If there are producers of this show who have twitter accounts or Facebook pages for this program we should EN MASSE bombard them with our point of view.

Social media is here to stay. If we're not involved then we're one more step closer to defeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could bowfish with her.

Full-Draw-Bowfishing-1024x570.jpg
    </div></div>

She needs to get that string up to her mouth. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?