• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Meopta Optika 6, Athlon Ares ETR, Bushnell LRTSi or....?

zaprosper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
I'm looking for a scope to go on my 6.5x284 that gets used for target and steel shooting and some hunting. Hunting is mostly on the flatlands and prairies and dusk and dawn shots are typical. Hunting is only a small portion of what it will do. I have found a place to purchase all 3 of these(in Canada). Currently have an LRTSi that I really like. How do the Ares ETR and Meopta Optika 6 compare to the LRTSi? Is there another scope I should consider? Would like it to be MIL/FFP like these and be useable for most hunting conditions. Not overly concerned about weight on this gun. Scope options and prices(in cad) are as follows:
Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27x50 MRAD1- $1130(only one available in Canada at this time in MRAD)
Ares ETR 4.5-30- $1620
Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44- was purchase for $1300.00, but had a 30 percent mail in rebate making it $910.
The mail in rebate no longer applies so the Bushnell would be full price. The other thing I have considered is saving up for a DMR2 pro, as I have heard good things about it and have seen some around $2000.00
Looking for opinions on the scopes presented, but also curious what other scopes people have found to be comparable. Price can go up to what would be around 1500 American.

Can anyone provide input on this? Does the optika 6 do anything that the bushnell can't and how do they compare? If I'm shooting out to 1000 yards frequently, should I get something higher end for wind reads?

IDK if you can but these from the US but if you can call doug at camera land ny

@gr8fuldoug

For 1000 any of those scopes should be fine. I know that cameralandny was blowing the LRTSi out really cheap a while ago.

I've dealt with Doug multiple times in the past and he is awesome. Unfortunately he can't technically sell me scopes at all due to ITAR export regulations, which are brutal. Not sure why restricting the export of hunting scopes is considered an issue of national security. Ultimately, I want to see which of these people prefer for long range target shooting and if they give up anything to the next tier of scopes.

You may want to look into Nikon Black FX1000 currently being liquidated since Nikon discontinued their scope business. Very nice optics with so-so turrets but more than adequate for hunting

All three are fine scopes, personally I have an lrtsi and if you could get it from cameraland it would be a steal at under 800 american but doesnt look like thats possible based on your above comment so that sucks.

The lrsti reticle is heavy so its a good hunting reticle too plus its illuminated. Taken it to 1k no problem. High magnification is nice for way out there in the morning but once its like 10am the heat causes enough mirage that I choke it down to 18-20x or so anyways so I have no issue using the lrtsi.

That said the other two have a good following as well. Youre not going to make a bad choice in those scopes. I just wish they were cheaper for you up there in the snow.

A little outside your price range, but I was looking at your same set of scopes and this one stood out.

~ $1650 USD.

Are private sales on here governed by ITAR?
As far as I know, if it is on the list, it is covered. That being said, I have imported scopes legally in the past by getting them shipped to an FFL dealer with an export license. The process does take some time, but I'm usually not in a big rush. I haven't ever looked at the PX too much here on Snipershide and we do have something very similar in Canada called Canadian Gunnutz and I have picked up some really good deals on there. The biggest hurdle right now is the Canadian to USD exchange that makes it cost prohibitive to even try to import.

A little outside your price range, but I was looking at your same set of scopes and this one stood out.

~ $1650 USD.
I have looked at that scope previously and even found a used one for $1935.00(Plus tax) in Canada. That would be about $1450USD. I know @koshkin is a big advocate for those scopes and has nothing but good to say about them. I wasn't sure I wanted to jump outside of my budget for something I am that unfamiliar with. I also have someone who might sell me a used DMR 2 Pro for $1600.00CAD (1200USD) and that seems to be a screaming deal. Also really interested in owning more Bushnell after using my LRTSi. Would you say the DMR2 Pro compares to the Delta Stryker favourably?
I also did end up purchasing the Optika 6 for 1070 Canadian, which would be 800US. It seemed like a good price and I figured why not. Also for context, converting the 910 I paid for the LRTSi converts to $675.00USD, so that would be an absolute screaming deal and wish I would have bought 4. I'm always looking for the best value, whether I have to spend 800 or have to spend 2000. I'm hoping the Optika stacks up favorably to the LRTSi, but doubt the value will be as good having paid $150 more.

All three are fine scopes, personally I have an lrtsi and if you could get it from cameraland it would be a steal at under 800 american but doesnt look like thats possible based on your above comment so that sucks.

The lrsti reticle is heavy so its a good hunting reticle too plus its illuminated. Taken it to 1k no problem. High magnification is nice for way out there in the morning but once its like 10am the heat causes enough mirage that I choke it down to 18-20x or so anyways so I have no issue using the lrtsi.

That said the other two have a good following as well. Youre not going to make a bad choice in those scopes. I just wish they were cheaper for you up there in the snow.
I love the G3i as a crossover reticle. It functions at dusk and dawn without illumination and pops real nice with illumination. Also not too thick for the distances I have used it to so far. Granted, I haven't used a dedicated target tree reticle as I always thought most of them were too busy for my purposes.

Everything that goes across the border is.

Generic rifle scopes are a bit of a grey area, but most people do not want to mess with it.

I know SWFA can sell most scopes to Canada and UK, but you have to talk to them directly for specifics.

ILya
As far as I know, they stopped shipping to Canada as of 2019. A couple people on the buy and sell in Canada are asking pretty high prices on their SWFA scopes because of it. SWFA scopes haven't been a big enough thing in Canada to gain much traction.

You may want to look into Nikon Black FX1000 currently being liquidated since Nikon discontinued their scope business. Very nice optics with so-so turrets but more than adequate for hunting
Can be had as cheap as 650 Canadian at https://www.rangeviewsports.ca/product/nikon-rifle-scope-black-fx1000-4-16x50sf-fx-mrad/. I'm sure it would function as a hunting scope, but after the BigJimFish review of the issues, I don't really want to consider it for much more than that. I won't buy a scope that I can't put my confidence in.

What did you go with OP? I’m in a similar boat. Currently have a LRHS but checking out the Stryker, Area ETR, DMR or XRS, and Razor AMG

Have an LRTSi and ordered a optika 6 4.5-27x50. It was supposed to be at my door, but Meopta screwed up and didn't have it available for my distributor. Worked out well because I'm getting upgraded to the 5-30 version for free! That is supposed to come in within the next week and I can provide an update for you once I have it in hand. Recently looked at a DMR2 and for the money that is a tough beat. After doing enough research and comparing, I do think that what you pick can depend on what it is going on and your intended use.
I just started another custom build and the results of my comparison will affect what scope I get for that build. I really want to get my hands on a DMR2pro, XRS2, or the new Burris XTR3.

Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
Have an LRTSi and ordered a optika 6 4.5-27x50. It was supposed to be at my door, but Meopta screwed up and didn't have it available for my distributor. Worked out well because I'm getting upgraded to the 5-30 version for free! That is supposed to come in within the next week and I can provide an update for you once I have it in hand. Recently looked at a DMR2 and for the money that is a tough beat. After doing enough research and comparing, I do think that what you pick can depend on what it is going on and your intended use.
I just started another custom build and the results of my comparison will affect what scope I get for that build. I really want to get my hands on a DMR2pro, XRS2, or the new Burris XTR3.

What do you think of your Optika6 5-30x?

I really like it. It has tracked really well, I love the reticle and the glass is phenomenal for that price point. I would say that in comparison to the Bushnell LRTSi, it resolves better at all powers and is a little better at dusk and dawn. No complaints on contrast. It does struggle with stray light is really the main downside I find. The other downside would be the elevation turrets not lining up perfectly. I'm sure I could send it back to get it fixed, but it doesn't bother me enough yet to send back.
The illumination on it is really well done. It is daylight bright, but has good settings for lowlight as well. Eyebox is a little finicky on it and the depth of field is ok. If I could get it for the price I paid for it, I would definitely own a couple more. I recently purchased an XRSII as well and find that the XRSII has some areas it is noticeably better, but I like certain things on the Optika 6 more than the XRSII.