• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Meplat trimming and pointing

slapdud

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
Atlanta, Ga
I am going to be trimming and pointing my meplats and was wondering if it would be wrong or if it made sense to measure all of the bullets OAL and find the shortest one and trim the rest to that length and then point them?

Re: Meplat trimming and pointing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to be trimming and pointing my meplats and was wondering if it would be wrong or if it made sense to measure all of the bullets OAL and find the shortest one and trim the rest to that length and then point them? </div></div>

That would be taking things to the Nth degree, but that's probably how I would approach the task, were I to undergo the procedures.

Don't forget to weight sort the final product into batches and then measure for bearing surface lengths, further batching them, lol!

Chris

I would start off by sorting OJive lengths first because that's where the tools index from, point trim point, then resort all them by bearing length then weigh them all to the nearest .1 grain, go balls deep or not at all.

Yes, measure them from the ogive and sort them that way, then trim. What kinda meplat trimmer you have?

I went with the Sinclair trimmer. I read that the 2 flute cutter allowed the bullet to wobble but then read some that love it.