• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mercury recoil reducer

Works well in my shotgun. It's not a brake though

Something you installed or had someone do it. Seems pretty straight forward and easy to do.

I used to see a lot of mercury recoil reducers in/on 12-gauge skeet guns many years ago, either inserted into the bolt channel in the stock or screwed onto an autoloader's magazine cap or clamped to the bottom barrel of an over/under.

Personally, I didn't find it to be very effective in the very limited number of times I tried a reducer-equipped shotgun. Just added weight and, unless you stuck one in the stock and on the front, messed with balance.

Something you installed or had someone do it. Seems pretty straight forward and easy to do.
Some Benellis have the stock designed for one- you just order it, drop it in.

Scientific testing indicates it’s just weight. Not that there is anything wrong with adding weight.

Anyone tried one in a rifle stock

I picked up a Ruger No.1 (Dan near stole it really) tropical in 458wm to match my 375h&h and the previous owner had a merc tube installed in the buttstock after taking 3 shots with it lol. He fired another 7, called the quits and sold the gun to me. I can't say it works or doesn't because i never had the chance to fire it without it in the rifle but like rth1800 said it adds weight and we all know that helps mitigate recoil.

I think the hydraulic recoil reducers would be more effective, like the Enidine.

I bought the biggest one that midwayusa had available.

-drilled a 3/4” hole in a Sako Varmint stock Under the recoil pad. (308 winchester)
In combination with the limbsaver recoil pad I would guess it was %25 more comfortable to shoot. However I think lead shot would have done the same thing.
Silencerco suppressor with an anchor brake had more of an effect than the other two combined.

Reactions: KZP
I have two installed in 300 Winchester magnums, both pre-64 model 70 heavy barrel, marksman stocked rifles I formerly shot at Camp Perry.
I have two more installed in same rifle set up 30.06's...
I have one in a Winchester model 12, 12 gauge.

I installed them myself, per the instructions, buttstock, and at the recommended up angle, so the mercury has to climb, under recoil.

I have had this system 20 years....

It does NOT do what they advertise !

It adds weight, which helps some, and the mercury moving upwards slows recoil momentum "some", but,
if I handed you an identical 70 without the device, at least half couldn't tell it makes much difference. And, I had several people shoot them, they couldn't tell a difference at all, but, they were not very recoil sensitive.

I got run over by a car, broken neck, and the resulting deterioration that comes with age. I am recoil sensitive.

I can tell a very small difference in the 30.06. V E R Y small... not enough that I will buy any more, and on the 300's, hello APA brake... the mercury reducer is useless to me.

That's my experience.

I installed a mercury recoil reducer on a 450 Ackley hunting rifle, but dont feel like it did anything to the recoil that I couldn't have achieved with a dead weight of the equivalent weight.

If I want to reduce recoil, I use a brake or else I dont bother.