• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Merrell Shoes

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I am in need of new shoes to use for everyday wear and walking long distances. I will sometimes walk up to seven miles on concrete and pavement. I want to get a good pair of shoes that I will not have to replace anytime soon. I plan on buying the Merrell Chameleon Stretch 4 Waterproof shoes. Will they work for what I want to do? At a later date, I plan on buying a pair of dedicated exercise shoes but I need these to work for the time being.

I've been wearing Merrells for the last 2 years. (Barefoot for running/exercise...Chameleon Stretch 4 hiking for everyday) Feet have never been happier! And im standing/walking all day at work.

Exact shoes I have, they are very comfortable for the type of walking you describe. Some more observations: (1)The elastic is comfortable and they have a swimming/surfing shoe type of fit. (2) They are not that fun to wear if you ever decide to do some technical / steep climbing up hills. I am talking about very steep hiking. (3) half sizes stop at 12, and they fit on the snug side, so you may have to bump up in size. (4) they are shaped around your foot, so If you have big feet it is easier/less clumsy than full size hikers. (5) not as important, but the shape can look kinda berkinstock-ish, so if you are gonna sport them with cargo shorts, might as well get a tie-dyed t-shirt.

Years ago I wore Merrells working in a Greenhouse, where my job entailed up to 20 miles a day on concrete floors. I loved them. I recently got a pair for hiking, not sure which ones, but they are great too. I then bought a pair of slip-on walking shoes, which I wear all the time.
    Merrell has been making great, comfortable shoes, with any amount of support required, for many years.

I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you get a good fit. A Little Tight is best when you first get them, they do have a break in of a couple days or so. Don't go too tight, but certainly not too loose. If they are a little too loose after break-in, not to worry, they do very well with extra athletic insoles added.
    Tim

I was one who didn't come over to merrells easily, found them uncomfortable to break in initially and couldn't understand the hype. That was until they were broken in, now I can't see not buying them or wearing them. They last and are incredibly comfortable once broken in. I wear a new pair for an hr or two for several days till they are broken in. All I can say is when broken in they are more comfortable than being bare foot.

I was one who didn't come over to merrells easily, found them uncomfortable to break in initially and couldn't understand the hype. That was until they were broken in, now I can't see not buying them or wearing them. They last and are incredibly comfortable once broken in. I wear a new pair for an hr or two for several days till they are broken in. All I can say is when broken in they are more comfortable than being bare foot.

Yes, I second the "Make sure you break them in." Don't just put them away as a lost cause after the first time you wear them. They really will be the most comfortable shoes you ever had----after you break them in.

While I can't speak to that specific Merrell shoe, I updated to Merrell's for USPSA about 1.5 years ago and wish I would have done it a long time ago. Tried Nike, Under Armour, etc, etc, and my feet would kill me after a day or standing, not anymore...

I wear the chameleons for daily wear and the high tops for 3 gun and USPSA. I'm on my 4th pair in 3 years.

Ive had Merrel and Vasque, IMO all my Vasque have been more comfortable and require no break in time.

I just got a pair this summer, not sure of the exact model, but I'm in love with them.

When they wear out, I'm getting another pair.

I wear chukkas almost exclusively and have found Eccos to be outstanding. The oldest pair is now 7 years old and still watertight as a frog's ass. Light weight, requires little to no break-in, and support my lower back very well. I have had to replace the insoles as they wore out with a pair of good Spencos. Merrels have never felt right on my feet but the wife and son love them.

for those military or government contractor...maybe more ppl......merrell has whts called a merrellprodeal.com you get 40 % off everything on there site and during the holidays they offer an additional 25%. all my shoes are merrells. ill never own another brand.

for those military or government contractor...maybe more ppl......merrell has whts called a merrellprodeal.com you get 40 % off everything on there site and during the holidays they offer an additional 25%. all my shoes are merrells. ill never own another brand.

That is awesome, thanks for sharing. I've signed up and am awaiting approval...

While I havnt owned those exact shoes, I have 3 different models of merril shoes I have worn over the past 4-5years for everything from work to some nicer "dress/ casual" type shoes and have found all of them to be quality well deserving of the price.

Thanks for that informaiton man. will definately use in a few weeks

I like Merrells. My only issue is the toe box (at least on the styles Ive bought) is kinda blunt. My long middle toe runs into the end of the toe box and I lose the nail. A pointier cross trainer worker better for me

I love Merrell shoes. I rarely wear something other than Merrell products. My favorites are the Moab Ventilators. I have two pairs of the standard ones and two pairs of the high-tops (one is the Gortex version). Really outstanding products.

I like the Chameleon ones for casual daily wear but for anything that involves fast moving (e.g. a shooting match) or traversing rocky, uneven terrain (e.g. hiking) I prefer the lace-up Moabs for better support, especially around the ankle.

There is nothing I don't like about Merrell shoes.

Thanks for the "pro" tip!

Mark

Moab Ventilators here, too. Only complaint is that the super-flexible sole will allow rocks to bruise your foot at times if you come down on a golf-ball or quarter size rock too hard. Otherwise, great stuff.

I'll second what roggom said about lateral support in steep terrain. It is for this reason that I switched from the stretch chameleons (2 pairs) to the lace up chameleons. The lace ups took a little breaking in which the stretch do not but overall I am happier. The lugs overall have good grip bit if you're side hilling the way they round up over the edge of the sole is a bit dicey. They don't bite as good as my Lowa Tibets but I don't expect them to, different shoes/boots. Overall a good pair of shoes.

I've been wearing a pair of the moab mid waterproof's for quite a while now, on all kinds of terrain. They have been nothing but outstanding.

I have had two pairs of the barefoot's over the passed couple years. My favorite shoe for workouts.

Love Merrell shoes and boots.

I ware them when I'm not working. If they had a steel toe I would ware
    Them @ work.
    I have had several pair over the years. I like the one you don't have to
    Tie. Slip on , slip off.
    I shoot all my matches that aren't mud holes in my old ones.
    My buddy who shoots w/ me , is starting to ware his in the matches.

Most like them..... Other hates them.
    I like them.

Just my .02

M

I like my Merrells as well. I can't say they are the end all like some but they are a very safe bet.

I have been wanting some MOAB's. If you want to test the water check Sierra Trading Post and see what they have in your size to save a little coin...perhaps!

Ill second chainring. Moab vent low. My pair is on their last leg and I'll be getting more!

First pair of Merrells I had the soles wore out in about 6 months. THe next pair went about a year. COmfortable shoes to be sure. I switched over to Keens about 2 years ago, and absolutely love them.

I have the Merrell Trail Gloves and love them! Very comfortable despite not having a bunch of padding like normal shoes. Definitely take a bit of getting used to though!

I used to wear the MOAB's and really liked them, feet got to wide as I got older, now i wear KEEN's almost exclusively and the vibram 5 fingers. I have recently become interested in Merrel's new line of Barefoot shoes. look good, and a little more conventional than the 5 fingers. That being said i used to work at sportsman's warehouse and sold more Merrels than any other shoe. Its crazy how some dudes wear theirs on a few hike and they are DONE, others use and abuse them for two years and get another pair, and i have hiked with a couple of guys like that can keep them for a couple years and they arent easy on them. Honestly i dont know what to think. Over all they are a good shoe.

I have the merrel camelions (sp), they are good except if you have the tendency to walk on the outside of your foot like I do the sole kinda promotes an ankle roll. I have Lowa, hikers, the exact kind escapes my memory now and they are very comfortable but run narrow, and I wear Keen steel toes for work and they are comfortable but cant lace them up very tight and that bothers me.

I was a Merrell wearer for many years. Wife too, she has "at least" ten pairs.

Something has changed with either the shoe or my foot (or both). They just

lost that "at home" fit and feel for me. Got it back with a pair of Keen Voyageur Mid's.

The toe box makes this hiker imo.

Attachments

• images.jpg
      images.jpg
      8.3 KB · Views: 18