• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Training Courses Michigan: marksmanship training center or other nearby

Will86

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone one have any experience with marksmanship training center in Michigan? If so could you share you experience? Also if anyone is aware of any other nearby schools please let me know

I attended a low light and moving target seminar last summer. Very nice facility, stayed in one of their cabins- rustic but brand new. Trainers and the course were both good and shooting after dark and at movers during daylight were both new stuff for me. I’d go back again - shot out to 1000 yds and lots of unique shooting situations and positions. One of my buddies is going soon.

Will be attending LR2 this weekend and can provide feedback afterward (shoot me a PM in case I forget to reply here).

Took LR1 a few months back and was happy with it -- certainly built as an intro level course (classroom only, no live-fire), much of which can be learned elsewhere (Kleckner's book comes to mind), but still found value in the course. That being said, unless you're somewhat local or don't mind making a drive, I'd say read up on the basics and jump into LR2.

Cadre seems to be a good group of guys. All are former military, easy to learn from and seem to truly enjoy teaching and shooting.

Anything in particular you were curious about so I can make mental note of it?

Aside from MTC, check out Sentinel Concepts. While Steve sticks to pistol/carbine/shotgun, he recently picked up another instructor for precision rifle training (Will Thomson). Haven't had a chance to train with Will yet, however, after having gone through multiple classes with Steve over the years, I would expect Will's portion to be on par with the rest of SC's courses (i.e. worth your time/money). FWIW, Will's classes are on my list as soon as my calendar opens up.

Right I’m I’m trying to get into longer range shooting so I’m actually planning on taking the lr1 course in September. My particular interest is mainly that I am local (from Grand Rapids) so nothing else is close to me and I just want to find a good place where I can learn more and gain skills.

Reactions: BravoKilo
If you're planning on taking LR2 at all, I'd say just go for the annual membership -- only a $25 difference if you do LR1 + LR2 as a non-member, or buy the membership and get LR2 at a discount (they throw in LR1 or one of the other seminar classes for free)... not to mention you get full access to the 1000yd range. I figured this out after I paid for LR1 + LR2 -- emailed Clare (Dir. of Operations) asking if I could simply pay the difference and get the membership and it wasn't a problem.

You should also check out the 'Michigan Precision Rifle' group on Facebook. Lots of good active guys on the group and a good source of knowledge.
Not sure what's on the west side of the state, but Washtenaw Sportsmans Club has a 600yd range with frequent LR shoots. Further east is BWSA which also has 600 yards though I don't know how active that club is.

Rifle's Only (from texas) is the one not to miss, though this years class already happened, watch their calendar for next year. They have been putting on a three day at South Kent for the past few years, once a year.

https://www.riflesonly.com/calendar

Also Blue Water is also on FB under "bwsa precision rifle division"

Last edited:
Rifle's Only (from texas) is the one not to miss, though this years class already happened, watch their calendar for next year. They have been putting on a three day at South Kent for the past few years, once a year.

https://www.riflesonly.com/calendar

Also Blue Water is also on FB under "bwsa precision rifle division"

So maybe I am special... R.O. calender dosnt seem to be working for me and i cant find any info from south kents page about rifles only.

I have heard they had them in the past but i thought south kent put a stop to it several years back?

@mi223 I may have miss spoke, I would have sworn I saw on RO's Facebook page that they were coming to Michigan this year but now I an unable to locate any info on it... You may be correct.

Does anyone one have any experience with marksmanship training center in Michigan? If so could you share you experience? Also if anyone is aware of any other nearby schools please let me know

Jake Vibbert (one of the top PRS shooters in the nation) is putting on a course at the Marksmanship Training Center in Lake City, MI on 10/27-28. Not sure there's spots left, but I'd recommend checking it out if you can.

@mi223 I may have miss spoke, I would have sworn I saw on RO's Facebook page that they were coming to Michigan this year but now I an unable to locate any info on it... You may be correct.

I know that was true in the past. You really had my hopes up. Rifles only training near home would be awesome.

Took LR2 last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the class. First precision rifle class I've taken, but have taken various pistol/rifle/carbine courses over the years, so take that for what it's worth.

Overall pace was well thought out, building slowly at the beginning (days 1-2), then ramping up quickly through day 3. Cadre certainly took their time to teach the fundamentals as well as showed various drills to help illustrate/identify various skill sets and potential areas of improvement. Through the end of day 2 you will only be reaching out to 200 yards, however after just a few hours into day 3 you'll be able to stretch your legs. From my class of 10 shooters, everybody was getting solid hits out to 700 yards by the end of class, with 5/10 getting hits at 1054 yards (the others most likely would've reached it also if given a few more hours of shooting).

I'd say the class is certainly worth the money, and only place in MI I'm aware of that you can reach out to 1k.