• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Micro slick ?

creech

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2012
north dakota
I have been trying to build my first custom rifle, and of course been looking at fluteing the bolt. Does micro slick really make the bolt that much better, or is it a waste of $?

I was really interested in getting my bolt microslik'd also, not to ignore lube but for the feel. Interested to see if anyone has a real hands on opinion and not just internet forum big talk.
Obviously my 700 can't compare with running the bolt on my Cooper, Kimber, or even my CZ, but I sure would like it to feel nicer.

I am interested in hearing what people have to say also.

It takes a while to wear in but when it does it makes my tikka bolt feel like shit.

it's worth it.

When I was getting some work done with a local gunsmith I asked about getting the microslick coating on my bolt. He told me that from his experience it has a worse wearing pattern over normal black oven cure, and it lasts just about the same. Needless to say I just got the bolt done in black, and he did it no charge since he was doing some other stuff to the same rifle.

I have two custom badger M2008 builds. My .260 has been micro slicked and my .308 has not.... To be honest, I have not seen nor felt any improvements. It does hold up fairly well (if you have a chrome bolt and want it black, then it kinda kills to birds with one stone).

Last edited:
Huh? I totally don't understand what you are trying to say. You made a case both for and against.

yeah I had a few pints in me when I wrote that and rereading it doesn't even make sense to me.

I have 2 customs microslicked, comparing them to the tikka (a very smooth factory action) they are noticeably 'slicker'. I don't run lube on the bolts - there is no need, they get a light coating in tetra bore lube when put in the safe, but that's it.

Takes a while to wear in, but when it does it's nice and smooth.

Last edited: