• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid-price Precision Rifle scopes

Just bought one a little over a month ago, and it does not have a locking turret for windage or elevation.

Thanks for the confirmation, I don't know how I got that incorrect info stuck in my head.

At this point I'm 90% sure that I'm going to go with the Razor AMG, and the only other scope I'm still mulling over is the Razor HD Gen II. The only negative I see for the AMG is that it doesn't have a revolution indicator on the elevation turret. In all honesty though, with a zero stop and 10 Mil turrets, I don't really see that as a big deal. Even with my cheapo 6.5 practice load, one turn will get me past 1,100 yds, and almost all of my shooting is at 1,020 yds and in.

In the Pros that matter to me column I see:

-Good reticle
-Good, tactile turrets
-Locking windage turret
-Locking illumination (seems like a free spinning illumination knob might inadvertently spin when I'm hurriedly adjusting parallax)
-Not terribly heavy (more of a nice to have)
-Can use mounts I already have
-Comes with flip up lense covers
-Great Warranty
-Made in the USA
-Meets all of the requirements in my first post.

I also think that if I got the Razor AMG and decided that what I really wanted was the Razor HD II, I could probably find someone willing to swap pretty quickly, whereas the opposite might not be as easy.

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
The rev indicator isn’t a big issue on the AMG for me. Mine only has two revolutions of travel before it limits out. It’s pretty easy to tell which rev you’re on.

The rev indicator isn’t a big issue on the AMG for me. Mine only has two revolutions of travel before it limits out. It’s pretty easy to tell which rev you’re on.

That's what I figured, with a zero stop and 10 mil per rev, the lack of an indicator would be a non-issue. I'd say 98% of my shooting will be within ten mils on this rifle anyway.

Great info, I need to research the Athlon Chronicle as I hadn’t considered it on my short list.

Thanks.

So if someone were between the following scopes, which would you recommend? Assume they are all +/- the same price (give or take only a few dollars)
  • Burris XTR-II 3-15 SCR mil
  • Burris XTR-II 4-20 SCR Mil
  • Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 GAP deal
  • Vortex PST-II 3-15 EBR-2C
  • Vortex PST-II 5-25 EBR-2C
I am looking at the lower magnification scopes because at least in the case of the Vortex and XTR they have significantly more elevation adjustment than the higher mags. For instance the 3-15 XTR is 31 mrad vs the 4-20 at 26.2.

Or would one be better off to save a bit more money and break into the Cronus/DMR-II price range?

Well, I finally went ahead and ordered the Razor HD AMG, it seems to have everything I want along with pretty universally positive reviews, for a price I can swallow. 4-6 week estimate on the order, so I should be ready to play with it sometime in late October. Can't wait, thanks for all the tips and advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: winniethepooh
Solid choice. I ended up with the Kahles and it fits my needs well.

So if someone were between the following scopes, which would you recommend? Assume they are all +/- the same price (give or take only a few dollars)
  • Burris XTR-II 3-15 SCR mil
  • Burris XTR-II 4-20 SCR Mil
  • Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 GAP deal
  • Vortex PST-II 3-15 EBR-2C
  • Vortex PST-II 5-25 EBR-2C
I am looking at the lower magnification scopes because at least in the case of the Vortex and XTR they have significantly more elevation adjustment than the higher mags. For instance the 3-15 XTR is 31 mrad vs the 4-20 at 26.2.

Or would one be better off to save a bit more money and break into the Cronus/DMR-II price range?

Another option to look at would be the Gen 1 Razor 5-20. They can had for under $1k on the used market if you are patient.

Reactions: skatz11
Well, I finally went ahead and ordered the Razor HD AMG, it seems to have everything I want along with pretty universally positive reviews, for a price I can swallow. 4-6 week estimate on the order, so I should be ready to play with it sometime in late October. Can't wait, thanks for all the tips and advice!

4-6 weeks can seem like an eternity when waiting for a new toy. I look forward to hearing how you like the AMG.

Athlon, I've had one for about a year, good glass, love the reticle, between myself and a few friends we have gotten four of them from Bulldog Firearms.

4-6 weeks can seem like an eternity when waiting for a new toy. I look forward to hearing how you like the AMG.

Yeah, it's not ideal to have to lay down a couple grand then wait for over a month to get to lay hands on your toy. Luckily it's during hunting season, so priority one is to put a bull elk and decent muley buck on the ground. Once we get to Oct 15th, I doubt I'll get my rig out to the long range until priority one is accomplished or I time out.

Plus, as a matter of perspective, having been around the NFA merry-go-round a few times, 4-6 weeks could be viewed as lightning fast.... comparatively anyway.

I have both the Razor Gen II and the AMG. Really like both of them.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you price wise and looking at similar scopes, trying to keep it around 1200 or less. And with all my looking around, I keep coming back to the DMR2, but really dislike those reticle choices. It seems like a no brainer to me for them to offer them in the elite scopes.

I wonder how the Forge is going to be, because I bet it will be well under 1k street. But it lacks the elevation adjustment I want... bringing us full circle to where we started hahaha

If your looking to be under $1200, I would recommend the Ares ETR, just picked one up and it is a great scope for the price. The turrets feel better then the Cronus and the locking windage turret is solid as well. You would not be disapointed

Chad

have you looked at the sightron sIII by chance? i have had much more expensive optics but none that were optically superior! they also track VERY well.

I just went through this same thing and ended up ordering a Bushnell XRS II 4.5-30x50 from Liberty optics. It will be my first scope in that price range. Looking forward to trying it out.

How is the Steiner 5-25x56? Is $1569 a good price? Is there a better place to buy Steiner?

Thanks.

I just went through this same thing and ended up ordering a Bushnell XRS II 4.5-30x50 from Liberty optics. It will be my first scope in that price range. Looking forward to trying it out.

How is the Steiner 5-25x56? Is $1569 a good price? Is there a better place to buy Steiner?

Thanks.
It would be our pleasure to assist you

Thanks.
In that price range, I'd much rather have a Cronus BTR. I think Doug can help you with that one too.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug

Looking around, it looks like the an ATACR 7-35x56 with a comparable reticle, say the Tremor3, runs nearly twice what I got my AMG for... Not really the same price range.

Reactions: WT1
That reminds me, I guess I never updated the thread once I got my AMG. So far I'm loving it, optically it's a big step up from my SWFA scopes.

Here are a few token range pictures and crappy cellphone pics through the scope (cropped, hopefully for clarity).

400 yds, 24x
IMG_20181125_134350966_BURST000_COVER~01.jpg

800 yds, 24x
IMG_20181125_133646154_HDR~01.jpg

1,020 yds, 24x
IMG_20181125_133616154_HDR~01.jpg

IMG_20181205_104148921_HDR.jpg

That reminds me, I guess I never updated the thread once I got my AMG. So far I'm loving it, optically it's a big step up from my SWFA scopes.

Here are a few token range pictures and crappy cellphone pics through the scope (cropped, hopefully for clarity).

400 yds, 24x
View attachment 6997766

800 yds, 24x
View attachment 6997767

1,020 yds, 24x
View attachment 6997768

View attachment 6997769

Why does the reticle look blurry in the center? It looks sharp near the edges but blurs in the center where it seems to me to be most important.

Why does the reticle look blurry in the center? It looks sharp near the edges but blurs in the center where it seems to me to be most important.

Because taking GOOD reticle photos, without fancy gear like a PhoneScope, is a dark art unto itself. I’m sure that to the naked eye, the reticle is crisp and clear all the way across, based on my experience with the AMG.

Reactions: tbob38
Because taking GOOD reticle photos, without fancy gear like a PhoneScope, is a dark art unto itself. I’m sure that to the naked eye, the reticle is crisp and clear all the way across, based on my experience with the AMG.

Yep, looks great in person, not so great when holding my cheap cellphone camera up to the scope while balancing the rifle.

Reactions: tbob38
Hello,
FNG here, although I've been lurking in the optics section a while trying to sponge information, this is my first post on this forum. I've been reading here long enough to know that this question gets asked all the time. Hopefully it isn't too annoying for this topic to come up yet again, but I'd like the opportunity to cuss and discuss my optics needs/wants with the experts here, in addition to reading threads by other folks.

I'm a few months out from my purchase, but am starting to narrow down my list of potential scopes and would like to hear opinions/experiences on the different options.

I guess I'll start with my purpose and wants for this scope:

Purpose:

I'll be putting this scope on my Ruger Precision Rifle and moving the SWFA 3-15 currently mounted to another rifle. I use this rig to shoot 500 - 1,000 yds regularly and occasionally (although not since my second son came) shoot PRS style matches at the same ranges. With better glass I may stretch this setup out to 1,500 yds or so for fun every now and then, but this would not be a common occurrence. My shooting will take place in daylight, and I do my hunting with other lighter, simpler setups.

Wants:
- <$2,000 price
- Flawless tracking
- Zero stop
- FFP
- Mil/Mil
- >20x max power
- 10 Mil/rotation elevation turret
- Better glass than my SWFA 3-15 for improved target and impact resolution at 1,000 yds.
- Christmas tree reticle, preferably something medium featured, along the lines of the Sig DEV-L, Vortex EBR-2C, Leupold FFP CCH.
-Rock solid warranty

The main scopes I'm looking at now:

Bushnell XRS II 4.5-30x50
Bushnell DMR II Pro 3.5-21x50
Sig Tango 6 4-24x50
Athlon Cronos BTR 4.5-29x56
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56
Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50

Obviously the last two are right at the top or a bit above my desired cost ceiling, but with the right sales and purchase programs they are close enough.

Given the best sales I've seen the Razor HD Gen I and Sig Tango 6 can be had for about $700 -$800 less than the Razor Gen II and AMG, while the XRS II, DMR II Pro, Mark 5 and Cronos BTR are a little pricier, but still $400 - $500 less.

I'm looking for a scope to keep a long time so cost isn't the most important metric, but any savings I can reasonably get would be available for mounts, bullets, barrels, suppressors, etc.

In terms of best value, the Sig Tango 6 and the Bushnell XRS II are really standing out to me right now. With a discount, the XRS II really seems like the deal to beat, the only thing I'm hesitant about is that I wish they offered a reticle somewhere in between the G3 and the H59, something similar to the three I mentioned above.

Out of the list, I've only had a chance to get behind Gen I and II Razors, I want to see the others before ordering, but I'll have to travel down to Colorado to lay hands on them.

I'm all ears for any experience/opinions y'all are willing to throw my way.

I don't want to become a shill for Brownells here, but what you are describing fits the Brownells MPO 5-25x56 almost perfectly and does so at $1000 or less.

I don't want to become a shill for Brownells here, but what you are describing fits the Brownells MPO 5-25x56 almost perfectly and does so at $1000 or less.

Perhaps, but I bought the Razor HD AMG almost two years ago, well before the MPO came out, and I've been very happy with it. I've considered picking up an MPO lately as an AR scope/backup to the AMG, it does look like a nice rig for the price.

Reactions: DPS03
Thank you.. That makes a lot more sense than such a scope having a wonky reticle.

Yep, looks great in person, not so great when holding my cheap cellphone camera up to the scope while balancing the rifle.

Thanks, have a great time with your new scope. I like that reticle and will probably get a scope with such in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, it's just muddling along with my SWFA scopes.