• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid size truck help?

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Hey all, its nearing winter and UT is the pits in winter. I did alot of snowboarding last season, and snowmobiling, so my car didnt cut it.

I've finally come down to getting a truck, but I'm having a absolute hell of a time picking between a Nissan Frontier, and a Toyota Tacoma.

They both fit the bill, but finding actual reliability cases of the newer 09+ models has been a pain in the ass.

Any help?

Re: Mid size truck help?

ive had 3 newer nissans with the v6 in the shop needing timing chains, this year.2008-2009 2 pathfinder v6's and an xterra. havnt had any newer tacomas in for anything other than alternators batteries and one neede a clutch. id deffinitely go with the tacoma.

Mike
Service Manager Tuffy Auto Service Center

lol I was in the same situation like a month ago couldn't make up my mind tell I started to hear about the timing chain problem with the nissans I ended up getting the toyota and am loving the hell out of it

I would go with the Toyota but I believe the Tacoma is quite a bit more $.

I love tacomas but for what they cost Id just as soon buy a half ton. More truck for your buck imo.

I had a 1997 Tacoma that I sold with 225,ooo miles. They run forever with no problems. I bought a 2005 Tundra after that. I love Toyota's and will always drive them. No b.s. I never changed the rear brakes or clutch in that Tacoma. I take drives out west almost every year and never do I worry about my truck. Ive never been a fan of Nissan. Worked in a shop years ago and they have far more problems. Toyota's have great resale value. Just don't buy a Dodge!

I vote for the Toyota. A friend of mine has a small fleet (5-6 Tacomas) that he uses to deliver supplies for his company in our tri-state area. He buys them new and runs these trucks for 300K-400K and then sells them to replace with another new one as required. I own a 4Runner and IMHO Toyota is hard to beat.

You want to get serious about offroad or just paly at it? If just play at it, go for teh Toyota. If you're serious, get teh Doge Dakota with the V8, or the Chevy(BUT, before you buy, figure out which one has the best aftermarket supprt for rims, tires, suspension upgrades, etc) You want to go play in the snow, set teh rig up for it, and use the best tires for the terrain, and not any AT BS.
Pro Comps are good, Dick Cepek's are good, the new General's are good, as are some other brands, but be warned, good mud tires SUCK on snowy, icy roads or trails. I ran Pro Comps on 16's on my Dam QC 4x4 4.7 for a few years and only got stuck when I got stupid and did dumb shit, but not once did I get stuck on a trail, or out on the range while shooting where it counted

Nobody has a greater reputation for reliability than Toyota, but everybody produces a lemon now and again. I would find it difficult to buy a midsize Toyota/Nissan though, when you can buy a full size Dodge Ram Express 4x4 with a 5.7L Hemi for around $26,000 msrp. Funny though, the Dodge is made in Mexico and the Toyota/Nissan is probably made in USA.

I've owned five Toyota pick-ups. I drive a regular cab 4wd tacoma now and my wife drives a 4Runner. I can't quite remember but I think the first one I had was called the 22R, it was 2wd and had the long bed. I wish the Tacoma still had the long bed option. Anyway It was a 1984 I bought used in 96 and I put over 300K on it. My second Toyota a 4wd, I'm not sure they had made it to being called Tacoma yet but I put over 300k on that one too. I couldn't recommend another brand. I've had a GMC and two Fords and they both drank more fuel and the GMC was the only vehicle to ever break down on the side of the road on me. If you get a Tacoma, get the 4wd and make sure you get the electronic rear locking differential. You could get an air locker later but having the factory button and no compressor is convenient.

Yes I think its great that my Tundra was made here and my Dodge Challenger is Mexico and Canada.

Toyota, tough to go wrong with something you don't have to worry about. They just last.

Whatever you get, go with traction Lok rear diff and a upgraded cluth limited slip front diff. Saves time and hassle on buttons and other bs, but allows very good tractionj on trails or in rough terrain. TIRES are what will get you in and out of where you want to go, but remember, tires are made for certain environments. What works good in mud and maybe snow or a rough trail will slip and slide on an icy tarmac. What works well on an icy tarmac will get you stuck in serious mud, but work well on rough trails. I can say this with all confidance though: Pro COmp's and DC's AT's will get you through most of it, and are teh closest you can get to a do it all tire leaving the harshest stuff out(single purpose tires for this stuff)